Help: MTP Device Scanning Very Slow [#9284]

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

Lowlander

Re: Help: MTP Device Scanning Very Slow [#9284]

Post by Lowlander »

Note that this should be improved (and also tested with) build 1490.
moonglow

Post by moonglow »

Great thanks!
gpzbc

Post by gpzbc »

Unfortunately scanning still grinds to a halt for me on my Galaxy Nexus. But I actually suspect that it is an issue with the Galaxy Nexus more than with MediaMonkey. It might be this Google bug? http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=23090

Is anyone else having success with the Galaxy Nexus?
--
The gpzbc
SansaMonkey

Post by SansaMonkey »

Is your Galaxy Nexus really running in MTP mode?
gpzbc

Post by gpzbc »

Yes, definitely.
--
The gpzbc
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

I have Galaxy Nexus and the scanning process takes just several seconds with 1490 for me.

Could you generate debug log while the "Scanning..." is in process?

Item 4B) here http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=6&t=341

Based on the log I can tell you what happens.

BTW. Do you have disabled USB debbuging in your Nexus? It is disabled by default, but for sure.

Thank you.
gpzbc

Post by gpzbc »

Yes, I have USB Debugging disabled.

I ran DebugView, and from what I can tell, it is not hanging at all. It is just taking forever to scan the contents of my phone. You can look at the log, but it definitely takes a long time to scan the cache of a wallpaper app, called Wallbase, and a OneNote app, called MobileNoter, that I use. Apparently, the cache for those two apps are quite large. So maybe this is normal? But I don't think my setup is all that abnormal. That is, there are bound to be many MM users that use apps with a large cache on their phone.

Anyways, I let the DebugView run for a few minutes and then saved the log to a file. I also generated a log of my GNex's internal structure and I am going to PM you and Lowlander both of the files.

Please keep me posted. Thanks
--
The gpzbc
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Yes, based on another log I can confirm that folders like Wallpapers includes many files that slows the scanning, therefore I have already added them to ignored folders for build 1491:
http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view. ... 284#c31143
gpzbc

Post by gpzbc »

sounds good. Thanks.
It would be very useful if the user could define which folders are scanned. Perhaps an entry in device configuration boxes? Just an idea.
--
The gpzbc
ACraigL

Post by ACraigL »

I thought it did. From my SDCard, I have every destination box set as /Andy/[path to my media]. My expectation is that it only looks in the folders specified here. Maybe I'm wrong.
gpzbc

Post by gpzbc »

ACraigL wrote:I thought it did. From my SDCard, I have every destination box set as /Andy/[path to my media]. My expectation is that it only looks in the folders specified here. Maybe I'm wrong.
As I understand it, that is just where it looks to sync. But it seem logical to me that the sync destination list would be the same as the scan destination list.

EDIT: from the bug-tracker comments, it looks like that is what Ludek is recommending. "So I would suggest to limit the scanning to sync targets only at least for all android devices connected in MTP mode"
Last edited by gpzbc on Wed May 16, 2012 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
The gpzbc
rusty

Post by rusty »

But it seem logical to me that the sync destination list would be the same as the scan destination list.
That seemed logical to us as well, and we'd implemented something like that during the course of MM 4.0.0 beta testing. But we found that some users have tracks on their phones that are in directories that they don't want to sync, so we had to undo the change.

I think that the only real solution will be to give users the flexibility to configure MM to scan other additional destinations.

-Rusty
gpzbc

Post by gpzbc »

rusty wrote:I think that the only real solution will be to give users the flexibility to configure MM to scan other additional destinations.
I agree. (for what it is worth)
--
The gpzbc
charlieMOGUL

Post by charlieMOGUL »

rusty wrote:
But it seem logical to me that the sync destination list would be the same as the scan destination list.
I think that the only real solution will be to give users the flexibility to configure MM to scan other additional destinations.

-Rusty
+1 from me as well.
In my opinion MediaMonkey should honor the synchronize directories as well as the ignore directories, regardless of the type of device.
I'm not too happy about the fact that MediaMonkey tries to open and read all images, video files, DVD files, etcetera on devices, even though the folders are set to ignore. It takes forever on external drives that have lots of photos on it. The ignore folder is there to ignore.
MediaMonkey is not the tool to specify what kind of files reside on the device: I use it to manage my (music) libary, and nothing else.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Thanks. It's planned and specced for 4.1:
http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=9368

BUT, you should see further performance improvements in 4.0.5 build 1493.

-Rusty