Genre Finder 5.0 - Updated 05/08/2012

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

Birdman1985

Re: Genre Finder 4.9 - Updated 25/02/2011

Post by Birdman1985 »

Thanks gpzbc, i figured as much. It isn't as much generally specific genres. At the moment i am in the same boat as so many others seem to be, with genres like acid rock, acid-rock, alt acid-rock, harcore rock-acid, then comes the heavies and the alternatives and the metals and the millions of others. Thought something might be available so for the mood i am in can select a listening genre and play 30-40 albums instead of the current 1-3.

All good though, thankyou.
gpzbc

Post by gpzbc »

You might check out the Tagging Inconsistencies script. It can at least help you identify the genres with just a few albums in it. And it does a whole lot more. It is perfect if you are obsessive about your music library.
--
The gpzbc
Xing

Post by Xing »

This problem can be averted with a Whitelist. Many people have shared theirs. You can view mine here:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BzL0MP ... UR1MFdrQzg

If it's of interest to you. That's the actual file I use sync'd with Google Drive so if you like my whitelist choices you can check back on the URL from time to time because as I made additions/modifications to it, that file will sync to it.
Web Developer & Gamer
http://orboro.net/
trixmoto

Re: Genre Finder 5.0 - Updated 05/08/2012

Post by trixmoto »

New version (5.0) is now available to download from my website. Changes include...

- Fixed confirming each value individually is corrupting spaces
- Added buttons to save and load update lists
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
jennylynne

Post by jennylynne »

Hi!

Thank you so much for this complex add-on. I have been toying with it for a couple of weeks now. I've creating multiple white lists, black lists, and keep lists to try out. I've dug through the the thread many many times, and I feel I learn something new every time I come here, though I still feel hopelessly lost much of the time. :o

Anyway, I'll tell you what I'm attempting to do and perhaps you can tell me if it's even possible and nudge me along or shove me in a different path. :P

I basically like how allmusic.com has its music genre's broken down -- and no, I'm not going to ask if it's possible to use genrefinder to pull from there. I get the whole API deal. I just like the way they're organized. So, I would like to set up my genres in 3 tiers too. You know, have a basic Main Genre like Pop/Rock, R&B, Electronic, Country, etc., then have a main Sub-Genre under each with mini-sub-genres under those. So, There'd be things like Alt/Indie Rock as a Sub-Genre and Cowpunk as a mini-sub.

The thing is that I'm not interested in all of the mini-subs, just some of them. However, what I want to make sure of is: If someone on last.fm has labeled something as "electro-industrial", even though I don't want that specific mini-sub in my list, I do want to know that song is Alt/Indie Rock and thus Pop/Rock.

So, for most of the items in my white list, I actually have multiple genre tags I want to add to my Genre field. Is it possible to have translations like:

Code: Select all

cowpunk=Pop/Rock; Alt/Indie Rock; Cowpunk,electro%industrial=Pop/Rock; Alt/Indie Rock
The other issue I've run into is the sort order in which the tags file into the Genre field. It doesn't seem to matter how I organize my white list file, they don't appear to consistently file in any regular order and I would like for the Main Genres to appear first in the list. Is there any way to sort/weight the main ones so they appear first when they file?

(Unfortunately, I attempted to put the Main Genre in Grouping, Sub-Genre in Genre, and mini-sub in Custom 1, but that's when I discovered that Grouping can't be used as nodes. :( )

Thanks in advance!
J.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

It certainly is a complex one!

Currently there is no way to handle multiple translations like this - and given the way the script works I think it would be very tricky to implement. I can have a look though.

Weightings is something that I believe has been requested before, and I just thought it was far too complicated to try and implement. The values are added in the order that they're found, I think. I'll have another think about it though, maybe I can add a new list type of "Order", or something.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
Xing

Post by Xing »

I do a sort of "tiered" Genre like that using the Grouping field in MM. I run a white list of acceptable "top level" genre's (pretty broud) that I throw in that field and then a more detailed white list against the regular Genre field. Can then create Autoplaylists off both fields as needed.
Web Developer & Gamer
jennylynne

Post by jennylynne »

I just wanted to let you know that I tested out my idea of being able to have multiple results for a single tag using the semi-colon. It does work.

However, even going through find one by one, I still ended up with duplicates in many of my Genre fields. I used the Find & Replace add-on to eliminate the duplicates afterward.

Of course, I am still refining/tweaking my choices. In most cases, I am merging the 2nd and 3rd tiers.

For example, I am ending up with something like:

R&B
R&B (Doo-Wop)
R&B (Motown)
R&B (Quiet Storm)
R&B (Urban)
R&B - Soul
R&B - Soul (Funk)
R&B - Soul (Pop)
R&B - Soul (Psych)
R&B - Soul (Neo)

I realize this might lead to longer Genre names, but there will be fewer in a single track.

Xing -- I played around with Grouping but the lack of node functionality is what caused me to abandon that field. I might return to it later, but right now I just feel it is too limiting. I feel like I should be able to access it via nodes, like Genre, both to view and to edit.

J.
Xing

Post by Xing »

Have you looked at the Magic Nodes script?
Web Developer & Gamer
Blutarsky

Post by Blutarsky »

Trixmoto,
I have many tracks holding multiple genres however mediamonkey 4.0.6 will show only the first. Is this by design?
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

No, MM will show multiple genres, as long as they are separated by your configured delimiter (semi-colon by default).
Blutarsky

Post by Blutarsky »

Must be a bug in MM..... once I have restarted it, multiple genres were showing correctly.

BTW, does Genre Finder uses the genre/subgenre approach, stuffing the main genre as the leftmost value?

For example: Rock; Psychedelic rock; Progressive Rock
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

No, it doesn't really have a concept of "main" or "sub" genre currently.
Blutarsky

Post by Blutarsky »

I see MusicBrainz last.fm plus plugin using this approach. A custom tag ("Grouping") containing the main genre (not necessary IMO, but could be handy for future use) and the classic "Genre" tag holding multiple values; here the user is given an opportunity to stick the main genre as the leftmost value....
kluv

Post by kluv »

Can anyone help me? I've tried playing with this for awhile now and I'm completely lost on how the white & black list work. Most of the music I've tried getting a genre from have about 20 of them each. I tried black listing all the crazy ones but they still pop up; I tried doing the transition( r 'n' b= R&B) that actually worked but then R&B was the only thing that would come up correct.... any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Example: This is all for the tags for Rihanna's "Where have you been". Trying to get one tag R&B, it's not on here but I read you could change the tag using the =. I need to do the same thing for tags i want to label as Hip-Hop, Rock, Reggae, Jazz and Classical

Pop; Rnb; Female Vocalists; Dance; Hip-Hop; R&b; Hip Hop; Reggae; Sexy; Female; American; Dancehall; Female Vocalist; Soul; Barbadian; Barbados; 00s; Dance-pop; Electronic; Club; Urban; Britney Spears; R'n'b; Guilty Pleasure; Hot; Party; Love; Dance Pop; R And B; Rhythm And Blues; Electropop; Diva; Mainstream; Guilty Pleasures; Beautiful; Bitch; Rap; Umbrella; USA; Rock; House; Hiphop; Alternative; Legend; English; Female Vocal; Amazing; Electro; Cool; <3; Pop Rock; Sweet; Trance; Fun; Remix; Black; Rihana; Contemporary Rnb; Officially Shit; Rehab; Favorite; Caribbean; Electro-pop; Brutal Death Metal; Dubstep; Top 40; Overrated; Bajan; Electro Pop; Women; Pop Princess; Bootylicious; Disco; Fierce; Breakcore; Rhianna; Black Music; Girls; 10s; Easy Listening; Singer-songwriter; Great Voice; Blonde; Wanessa; Favorite Artists; 2010s; Baby Love; Favorites; Electronica; Disturbia; Bionic; 2000s; Industrial; All Things Annoying In The World Put Together Into One Stupid Bitch; Indie; Favourites; Awesome; Best; Female Vocals