Volume levelling across ALL TRACKS

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

cliveknight

Volume levelling across ALL TRACKS

Post by cliveknight »

Hello, I have a mixture of WAV and FLAC files ripped twith Medi Monkey. How do I ensure that the volume levelling across all tracks are in proportion to one another. Would ripped flac files be louder than ripped wav files? Any help appreciated as I dont want to keep turning up/down the volume.
Thanks
Teknojnky

Re: Volume levelling across ALL TRACKS

Post by Teknojnky »

cliveknight wrote:Hello, I have a mixture of WAV and FLAC files ripped twith Medi Monkey.
flac and wav files are both lossless, there is absolutely *ZERO* difference in audio quality.
How do I ensure that the volume levelling across all tracks are in proportion to one another.
Click the 'play' menu, click 'level playback volume' to enable/disable playback leveling. All tracks will playback according to the volume analysis info (ie replaygain tag). You can enable track and/or album volume columns to easily what the replaygain tags are.

If you have not already done it, you will need to analyze all your audio files, you can select all of them (or whichever ones you want to analyze) and use tools > analyze volume. This will take some time, if you have a large library you may need to let it run overnight etc. You can also check out the options @ tools > options > player > volume leveling.
Would ripped flac files be louder than ripped wav files?
no, there is absolutely no difference in audio quality between flac and wav files, wav files simply take up more space and have less compatible tags.
Any help appreciated as I dont want to keep turning up/down the volume.
Thanks
hope that helps.
cliveknight

Post by cliveknight »

Many many thanks for that, a big help.
Best
Clive
cliveknight

Volume levelling again and its effects

Post by cliveknight »

Hello, I am running the volume analyse feature now that all of my tracks are uploaded as WAV files. Could someone explain how this process is actually achieved (what happens to the original file) and say if I now stream those files to a high quality audiophile streaming device, will all the levels appear within range? Also I note that 89 db is preset values within the drop downs of tools and options... should I retain those vaules?. Is there any compression going on here as the program tries to fit all of the music into a window of consistent gain? Does this process deteriorate the quality of the wav file?
Thanks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Volume Analysis doesn't change anything to the audio. It only calculates how much the volume is offset from the target volume and saves this in the tag. The MediaMonkey Player can use this to automatically decrease/increase the volume of the Player so that all tracks sound at similar volume. It is recommended to leave the value at 89dB as higher can introduce artifacts during playback of the file (for most up to 95dB works artifact free though).

If you stream (ie. MediaMonkey isn't playing the files) and you stream through DLNA using MediaMonkey's DLNA Server you can have it adjust the volume, but this will modify the audio. In other forms of streaming you're dependent on the equipment used being able to use the Track Volume (or Album Volume) tags to adjust the Player volume automatically (for example iPod/iPhone/iPad does support this).
cliveknight

Post by cliveknight »

Thanks for your feedback. You said that I would be able to stream the media content from the DLNA Media Server. How would I / could I do that? I heard that the volume levelling feature within Media Monkey employs DSP technology, which is very favourable towards audio quality. If I stream the WAV files from the same folder locations as I see them within the Mmonkey program, your saying that even although they have volume levelling tags applied, this volume levelling feature will only take effect if playing through the media monkey interface. So this means that the volume levelling tags are stored within media monkey and not stored as part of the wav file right. (In other words, the wav files don't get modified).
Thanks again
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Analyze Volume is not Volume Leveling. The latter isn't recommended. The former, Analyze Volume, only saves a tag and thus whatever is used to play the files requires the ability to handle the tag and adjust the Player volume.

Media Sharing: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... ervers/4.0 this will normally require Volume Leveling to be enabled in the Media Sharing options and this does modify the audio.
TheStarVoyager

Post by TheStarVoyager »

Hello everybody,

I would like to know how volume levelling affects the individual track files on disk. Does it change the original source file on my HD or does it change just the file in the MM library leaving the original HD file untouched?

For background information, does the MM library contain an actual full copy of each mp3 track file? :-?
TheStarVoyager - Citizen of the Cosmos
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

There are no files in the MediaMonkey Library, any operation in MediaMonkey on media files always affects the original.
TheStarVoyager

Post by TheStarVoyager »

Thank you, lowlander. Always appreciated. :)
TheStarVoyager - Citizen of the Cosmos