Running MM under Mac OS X with Wineskin

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

Matman

Re: Running MM under Mac OS X with Wineskin

Post by Matman »

Hello,

Is there a 1-page guide? If not, can you direct me to the point in this thread which is the best place to start fresh?
hermes3por3

Re: Running MM under Mac OS X with Wineskin - and Linux & Wi

Post by hermes3por3 »

Hi,

I am experiencing the same startup errors (one for each installed script): OLE error 8007000E. I am running MediaMonkey 4.0.6.1501 using Wine in Linux Mint Maya with KDE Desktop.

As explained in http://www.dbforums.com/microsoft-sql-s ... 7000e.html, it seems to be related to the way ODBC database connection objects are created (and apparently not properly destroyed, which would create a memory leak that is responsible for those errors) within ASP scripts, which kind of makes sense.

Since the same MediaMonkey version on my Windows 7 and with the same scripts does not raise (or ever raised) those errors on startup, a first guess is that those scripts rely on some automatic garbage collection mechanism that VBS script engine provides in Windows, but maybe not in Wine.

I don't know if this is something related in any way to MediaMonkey itself, to each particular script, the way those scripts are handled within Wine, or how errors are raised, etc. In my case, those errors were presumably raised by Cue Reader and Involved People Node. Removing those extensions also prevented the errors at startup.

As a sidenote, under Wine in Linux I can use MediaMonkey quite well. I have to disable skins and use native windows widgets though. Skinning MM makes the interface considerably slower. Notably there are problems when resizing windows, as if window resize events are triggered differently (kind of sloppier) than under native windows, and all sorts of box sizing and placement problems occur during window resizing. Again, this might not be related to MediaMonkey at all. Using unskinned MM the interface behaves normally.
bens993

Post by bens993 »

i am trying to run media monkey on wineskin for mac. I get a error when i try to rip a cd that there is no disc even though there is.
monyet

Post by monyet »

I just upgraded my Mac to 10.7.5 and it killed MediaMonkey. It appears that 10.7.5 killed Wineskin. I've since installed Wineskin 2.5.8 (which is fixed under the newest Mac OS update), but MediaMonkey is still not working. I'm not too savvy on all this wrapper stuff. Does there need to be a new update to the MediaMonkey for Mac installer now?
tigertales

Post by tigertales »

Any updates?
Skorz

Post by Skorz »

Well using the engine "WS9Wine1.5.16" and the Wrapper "WineSkin-2.5.8" I created a MediaMonkey app that launches wonderfully. I installed the MAD and iTunes plugins (newest) and I even managed to import a few MP3s.

The problem is that when I press the 'play' button, it immediately stops playing about a second later without ever playing any sound. I feel that I'm close on this. I AM running MacOS 10.7.5. I've never gotten this working before; are the symptoms I describe the ones that popped up when this MacOS version "broke" WineSkin?

If not, does anyone know how to make this play sound? MediaMonkey was the application I missed most when I switched my personal computing habits to the Mac side of the street and honestly I hate iTunes so much that I've considered calling this dalliance a failed experiment and going back to pure PC again just to use MM for my media!

Any help / guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks!
monyet

Post by monyet »

Hey Skorz,
Ever since I made the update to OSX 10.7.5 I get no GUI for MM at all. When I click on the application I only get the MM4.0.0.1459 to appear in the menu bar along with the MM icon when I press CMD+Tab. So you've managed to get MM to go further with whatever it is you did.

I hope someone can come up with a solution, though it'd be even nicer if there was a genuine Mac version of MM developed.
VeenBee

Post by VeenBee »

Hi,

I've just purchased Media Monkey Gold and am having problems downloading and installing because I have only just realised that it is not compatible although this was not pointed out to me by the sales team despite me telling them on a number of occasions that I was using a macbook pro! I'm just wondering if it's worth going down the Wineskin route as it seems there are a lot of problems with it. Can anyone advise, I may juts have to cancel my purchase which is a shame as it's great product.

Any views would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Veenbee
monyet

Post by monyet »

Hi VeenBee,
Alas, if you have upgraded the OS on your Mac to 10.7.5 MM will not work currently. Sorry to hear that the sales team mislead you. Hopefully there will be an update in the future to make it work again.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Note that MediaMonkey does mention it is Windows only: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... ticleid=56 unfortunately it is a bit hidden, but this seems common practice nowadays.
tarasis

Post by tarasis »

Curses. Why didn't I find out about this sooner :/ I gave up checking on MediaMonkey for Mac a few years back and just been tolerating iTunes.

Unfortunately the MM4.0.0.1459 doesn't run on OS X 10.9 (Marvericks Beta 1). First attempt started and died, second died in quartz-wm.

Going to try and build a new version with Wineskin 2.5.10b4 and the latest MM4.
monyet

Post by monyet »

Tarasis, let us know if you're successful please! And never settle for iTunes. ;-) In the interim, I actually went out and purchased a little Lenovo netbook (upgraded the drive to a 1TB) for the sole purpose of being my music server. It's been working well, but I'd love to have MM running on my Mac again.
tarasis

Post by tarasis »

Will do, I've swapped to trying on my Mountain Lion machine rather than my Mavericks machine.

On Mavericks, I got it installed and launched as part of the install process but then couldn't run it there after.
nanite2000

Apple Mac Support

Post by nanite2000 »

Hi,

I've just bought a new Macbook (my first), and was hoping to use MediaMonkey.

The Mac wrapper (http://www.mediamonkey.com/addons/brows ... diamonkey/) hasn't been updated for years, and Mac support has long since fallen off the developer's radar (http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... ticleid=32).

Given how popular Apple Macs are for serious music lovers and DJ's, what is the future (if any) of making MediaMonkey cross-platform?

I notice there is a thread dedicated to support MediaMonkey on Android devices - is this *really* a bigger requirement than Mac OS users? Given that Android requires the application to be written in Java, is there any reason it *can't* be ported over to Mac OS?

Thanks!
Last edited by Lowlander on Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing post
Peke

Re: Apple Mac Support

Post by Peke »

Simple answer APPLE LICENSING POLICY ISSUES FOR THIRD PARTY DEVELOPERS OF PROPRIETARY/SHAREWARE APPS.

Even simpler, even I would like to personally write MediaMonkey client app on MAC OS X I can't do that due the fact I work on MediaMonkey, ...
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts