Upgrading changes skin?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Vyper

Upgrading changes skin?

Post by Vyper »

Does this always happen or just with the last release?
Stop Button Freak
nohitter151

Re: Upgrading changes skin?

Post by nohitter151 »

By last release you mean 4.0.7?

Only time I know they force a skin change on upgrade is major releases (ie. MM3 -> MM4) because of major changes to the skin engine.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Vyper

Post by Vyper »

Yea, 4.0.7 ... when I upgraded it changed my skin so I wondered if this was normal.
Stop Button Freak
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Did you upgrade from MediaMonkey 4.x to 4.0.7 or MediaMonkey 3.x to 4.0.7? The latter as Nohitter151 will cause this as MediaMonkey 4 skins are different.
Vyper

Post by Vyper »

I went from 4.0.6.1501 to the latest.

It's not a big deal, was just curious if anyone knew why that would happen.
Stop Button Freak
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You may have installed in a different folder, installed a Portable vs. a regular install.
Vyper

Post by Vyper »

I installed to the same folder as I always do. I have a gold license so I always download the latest version from the MediaMonkey Beta Testing forum and install as normal.

I'm assuming from the responses that I'm the only one who had this 'problem' so maybe it was the skin I was on or maybe it was gremlins. :lol:

I could reinstall an earlier version, change skins, then upgrade and see what happens but that's more work than it's worth.

Thanks for the replies y'all. :D
Stop Button Freak
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

I've been using the default, so I wouldn't notice if it happened. I haven't heard any one else say this happened, though.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
dannyno

Post by dannyno »

It happened to me.

Upgrading to newest version from previous version.

I had the Mellon skin, but this reverted to Vitreous when I upgraded. However, all previously installed skins, extensions and scripts were still there. And most (but not all - "pop up display" was ticked once more for example) settings were preserved. My media tree still looked the same, and the arrangement of windows hadn't changed.

I just set Mellon as my default again and didn't think about it until I read this thread.

I can't honestly promise I was installing in exactly the same way to the same folder as before, but since everything pretty much stayed the same otherwise I presume I was.

One thing I did notice was that at the apparent completion of the installation of the upgrade, I got an error message that something or other required "elevation". So perhaps that related to an installation step which sorts out the skins?
efantom

Post by efantom »

All my skins look exactly alike now. Even uninstalled all of them and reinstalled. None work now. Placements of windows stayed same. Just have a white background. Any suggestions how to get them to work again?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You probably have Override skin theme with Windows system theme enabled under Tools > Options > Skins.
monkeyfish

Post by monkeyfish »

I've got the same problem. I upgraded from 4.0.1 to 4.0.7 (not beta release), and now none of the skins I had installed work. As I flip through them they all display the default theme. I have un-checked the 'override skin theme' option, and it makes no difference (I restarted MM, and restarted windows). When I installed it I forgot what that option did, so I checked to override, then un-checked it later, so I don't know it that has something to do with it? Using win7 32 bit.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Try reinstalling and in the installer allow normal skins instead of Windows theme.
monkeyfish

Post by monkeyfish »

OK, I've got it. Re-installing works, but only because the short-cut changes. I wondered why I got a new icon on the taskbar when I installed 4.0.7 the first time, but having never re-installed before nothing more occurred to me.

When I re-installed again (but allowing the skin mode) it gave me another new icon. So I looked in the MM folder, and low and behold there are two executables. One called 'MediaMonkey.exe' and the other called 'MediaMonkey (non-skinned).exe', and sure enough they do exactly what they say they will.

If you pin the non-skinned version to the win7 taskbar you will always open it, and since win7 has a habit of hiding the actual shortcuts from you, you may never notice. Perhaps a short explanation of this should go in brackets next to the option?