Last.fm Scrobbler help

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

jeevesy

Re: Last.fm Scrobbler help

Post by jeevesy »

Apologies if I'm just being thick!

I have a windows 8 laptop running the latest versions of MM and Last FM scrobbler, the scrobbler is tracking whats being played and uploading it as my online last fm account is receiving the data. However, I cannot see an option to use the last FM as the auto DJ in Tools>options>>player>auto DJ> add files from drop down.

Any ideas? Ta.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The last.fm scrobbler just scrobbles, there are other last.fm addons, but I'm only aware of one that sync play history from last.fm to MediaMonkey.
Caper the Fox

Is the Mediamonkey Last FM Plugin suppose to not work?

Post by Caper the Fox »

Because when I'm using it it doesn't scrobb to my last fm page, and one of the mods wasn't very helpful because he/she gave me links to an Unactive Group and a URL explaining how to do it (which is the same directions tried before posting that I'm having trouble with it on there)
Last edited by Lowlander on Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing post
nohitter151

Re: Is the Mediamonkey Last FM Plugin suppose to not work?

Post by nohitter151 »

Yup, the author made the plugin so that you would install it with the intention that it wouldn't actually do anything. Kidding aside, why even ask a question like that?

Anyway, could you provide some more details? What version of MM do you have installed? Where did you get the scrobbler plugin from? Is it the one on the MM addons page? Did you enter your last.fm username and password into the service options?
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
rovingcowboy

Re: Is the Mediamonkey Last FM Plugin suppose to not work?

Post by rovingcowboy »

nohitter151 wrote:Yup, the author made the plugin so that you would install it with the intention that it wouldn't actually do anything. Kidding aside, why even ask a question like that?

Anyway, could you provide some more details? What version of MM do you have installed? Where did you get the scrobbler plugin from? Is it the one on the MM addons page? Did you enter your last.fm username and password into the service options?
Why ask that question nohitter151 i believe its a reasonable request, even more so if you seen the number of fake apps on play google its something of a game to software writers in some circles to make apps useless just to get people to waste time trying to get them to work, as a way to get points for most downloads on some sites.

So i believe they got to wondering if this site was having any of them fake coders on it too when they could'nt get this to work.

As for the poster answer nohitter151 and the rest of us here without fear of a fake plugin, we're not like those other sites. These guys will get this working or find out why it wont work.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
kingguru

Post by kingguru »

UksusoFF wrote: 1. Install normal version (not portable)
2. Remove normal version folder from location
3. Install portable version in the same folder
=)
really?.. I mean, isn't there any other solution for this scrobbler (which is the only one unicode-friendly) to work with a portable MM without having to remove it, install a non-portable, remove it again, and then install a portable at last? It's such a pain to backup all the settings and get all the columns and appearances back in order if something goes wrong I'd rather have my japanese acid death folk not scrobbled properly than risk fine-tuning my MM again. Plus, how's that portable if there are registry keys left after the "normal" installation?.. my configuration is identical to blockme's one: it's Windows 7 64-bit, MM 4.0.7 and last.fm scrobbler 1.0.2.29 and I've got the same issue, which means it's a perfectly reproducible bug. then why not fix it? there must be some reason why this couldn't be fixed in more than a year.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

kingguru wrote: there must be some reason why this couldn't be fixed in more than a year.
There is a reason that the installation doesn't work in portable mode. Because it's a portable installation. In order to be 100% portable, the portable installation cannot register the COM object on the computer, which prevents the addon from working. You can't have your cake and eat it too. The addon requires a footprint on the computer, and you are supressing it with the portable installation. So it's not a bug at all, you just don't understand the reasons for it.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can install the last.fm scrobbler in the Portable Install of MediaMonkey, but need to register the com server. To do so start MediaMonkey as "C:\Program Files\MediaMonkey\MediaMonkey.exe" "/elevate /regcomserver" once.

http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view. ... 429#c31376
Peke

Post by Peke »

FYI, after 4.1 is out officially I should really check Last.fm code and update to all new MMW features that came across. Unfortunately most likely it will be 4.1+ only.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
kingguru

Post by kingguru »

nohitter151 wrote:
kingguru wrote: there must be some reason why this couldn't be fixed in more than a year.
There is a reason that the installation doesn't work in portable mode. Because it's a portable installation. In order to be 100% portable, the portable installation cannot register the COM object on the computer, which prevents the addon from working. You can't have your cake and eat it too. The addon requires a footprint on the computer, and you are supressing it with the portable installation. So it's not a bug at all, you just don't understand the reasons for it.
and honestly, I don't have to: I'm neither developer, nor coder. I've got a music player and its plug-in that won't work together at all and I need a solution. it's nice to be able to know why it won't work or how it does, but that's about it.
Lowlander wrote:You can install the last.fm scrobbler in the Portable Install of MediaMonkey, but need to register the com server. To do so start MediaMonkey as "C:\Program Files\MediaMonkey\MediaMonkey.exe" "/elevate /regcomserver" once.
http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view. ... 429#c31376
why thank you, good sir! now everything works, including unicode scrobbling (yes, even my japanese death acid folk), at last! note to future generations: for some reason (probably me being lame) I couldn't accomplish that via "Win+R" and had to create a .bat file inside the main MM folder with a single "MediaMonkey.exe /elevate /regcomserver" string. ta-daa!
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

kingguru wrote: and honestly, I don't have to: I'm neither developer, nor coder. I've got a music player and its plug-in that won't work together at all and I need a solution. it's nice to be able to know why it won't work or how it does, but that's about it.
Ok, but you were given a solution before, and you were complaining that this couldn't "just be fixed". I'm giving you the reason why it can't be.

Also keep in mind by using the "C:\Program Files\MediaMonkey\MediaMonkey.exe" "/elevate /regcomserver" command line option, your MM is not truly portable any more.

Buruan

Post by Buruan »

I have been searching this form for a bit and could not find a solution.

I have the last.fm scrobbler installed and its working fine.
When I play music on my ipod, I am looking for an option to scrobble the tracks that have been played since last time I synched on this ipod.

Is that something that can be added, or is there another solution for this?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

This can only be done via iTunes, anything with iOS should have a last.fm App as option (what I use).
Buruan

Post by Buruan »

Not what I am looking for though.

Lets replace IPOD in here with any generic player.
I'd like to scrobble songs that were played since I last synced.

There are apps for this out there in IOS, i know, but I am looking for a MMW internal solution.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

No, MediaMonkey can't scrobble plays from portable devices.