Remove shell integration

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Remove shell integration

Post by Guest »

MediaMonkey appears to have wedged itself in some cranny, and the options don't offer the ability to remove said wedge.

How can I remove MediaMonkey from the 'What do you want Windows to do?' dialogue? I had a quick shuffle on the web, but couldn't find the answer.

Post by Guest »

Anyone??
FurAnt

Post by FurAnt »

Try deleting these keys from your registry:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\MEDIAM~2.EXE\shell
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\MediaMonkey.EXE\shell
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MediaMonkey.File\Shell
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications\MEDIAM~2.EXE\shell
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications\MediaMonkey.exe\shell
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\MediaMonkey.File\Shell

Of course back it (your registry) up before you try it.

Joey

EDIT: Actually, I think these keys integrate it from the context menus in Explorer. I'm not sure if this, in any way, corresponds to the "What do you want Windows to do?" dialog.
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the reply guys, I might try the registry tweaks, but I don't think they relate to the What do you want to do dialogue.

There seems to be some confusion on what I mean, it's not the right click -> open with, it is the box that pops up when you insert a cd or some such. I want to remove MediaMonkey from the list of possible things I might want to do when I plugin my PSP, because frankly, if every friggin program decided to add themselves in like this it would me a nightmare.
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

Aha, that wasn't very clear indeed.

To remove MediaMonkey from the AutoPlay program launch dialog whenever you enter a cd (or other device?):

Run Regedit.exe and browse to:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\EventHandlers\
In all subkeys, delete things that have MediaMonkey in it (all "MediaMonkeyStartHandler", "MediaMonkeyBurnHandler", "MediaMonkeyPlayCDHandler", "MediaMonkeyRipCDHandler", "MediaMonkeyPlayCDHandler" values)

browse to:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\Handlers\
and delete all the keys with MediaMonkey in them (normally those mentioned above: MediaMonkeyXXXXXXHandler)

Be sure to backup the registry first, or make a system restore point.
I didn't test it myself either.

Or use Microsofts Powertoys TweakUI to do the same more easily.

Cheers
Steegy
Last edited by Steegy on Sat May 27, 2006 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).

Post by Guest »

Excellent, thanks Steegy.

I had searched for MediaMonkey but missed those keys, cheers.