Working with the Genre field? help?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

jennylynne

Working with the Genre field? help?

Post by jennylynne »

Hey!

I'm making so much progress. MM is such a wonderful product. So much better than that i :evil: whatever. :P

Anyway, the programmer in me is a little frustrated. I feel like there should be a way to do some of the things I want to do and maybe I just haven't poked around enough to figure it out yet. So, I'm coming to the gurus to ask for advice. Right now I'm focused on my getting my Genres right and pretty. I'm using multiple genres with the semi-colon separator.

Plus I've been using the Genre Finder plug-in. The Genre Finder appears to be creating duplicates of any Genre with multiple words in the name like "Classic Rock", "Synth Pop", "Blues Rock", etc. I believe it's probably using a different hex blank/space character between the words.

I would like to either find scripts to do the following or even write my own (if I could figure out the best way to do so):
  • Fix the duplicates created by plugins in the Genre list
  • Alphabetically sort the items in each track's Genre field
  • Perform complex actions (if-then) such as if "Classic Rock" is in a track's Genre list, then "Rock" can be removed
Thanks in advance for any help!

J.
Peke

Re: Working with the Genre field? help?

Post by Peke »

Hmmm, I can't to find any script that will do all three. but as you are programmer it should be possible to make one small script for your needs using http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... ata::Genre and than use String search within result

Example of getting genre of current playing track:

Code: Select all

SDB.MessageBox "Value = '" &  SDB.Player.CurrentSong.Genre & "'", mtError, Array(mbOK)    'SDB.MessageBox
Note: ";" is separator

For more detailed Info and suggestions you will need to provide framework on what script will do. But from what you write basic thing would be to remove basis/root genre is more descriptive genre is present like your example eg. If Genre Value: "Synth Rock; Rock; POP; POP/Rock" result would be Genre Value: "Synth Rock; POP/Rock" or "POP/Rock; Synth Rock" (Sort executed, which I do not recommend due the some devices support single genre only where Mm could be set to sync only first genre of track where sort could move main Genre to second,...)?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
misplacedamerican

Re: Working with the Genre field? help?

Post by misplacedamerican »

Please tell me you built this, I have wanted something like this for years but don't have the programming skills to do it

PLEASE????
jennylynne wrote:Hey!

I'm making so much progress. MM is such a wonderful product. So much better than that i :evil: whatever. :P

Anyway, the programmer in me is a little frustrated. I feel like there should be a way to do some of the things I want to do and maybe I just haven't poked around enough to figure it out yet. So, I'm coming to the gurus to ask for advice. Right now I'm focused on my getting my Genres right and pretty. I'm using multiple genres with the semi-colon separator.

Plus I've been using the Genre Finder plug-in. The Genre Finder appears to be creating duplicates of any Genre with multiple words in the name like "Classic Rock", "Synth Pop", "Blues Rock", etc. I believe it's probably using a different hex blank/space character between the words.

I would like to either find scripts to do the following or even write my own (if I could figure out the best way to do so):
  • Fix the duplicates created by plugins in the Genre list
  • Alphabetically sort the items in each track's Genre field
  • Perform complex actions (if-then) such as if "Classic Rock" is in a track's Genre list, then "Rock" can be removed
Thanks in advance for any help!

J.