Guide to iPod syncing

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

jsibley

Re: Guide to iPod syncing

Post by jsibley »

Could someone please update the pinned, locked thread on IOS5?

Is it correct that the most recent production release should support ipod / ipad syncing with IOS5 "out of the box"?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

MM works with all iOS devices and with all versions of iOS, except for iOS6.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
peppergomez

Post by peppergomez »

Hey folks,

Running MM 4.0.6.1501 Gold License. I have 3 iPods, and cannot get MM to sync properly with the larger 160GB iPod. It remains in the "preparing list of tracks" mode.

I read your sticky and installed the Copy Trans Drivers Installer and ran it. The install process worked fine. (I don't have iTunes installed, but I do have Quicktime installed.)

I have also set MM as per the guide, and have "Sync random subset of selected files to device capacity" checked.

I have the iPod plugged into the USB port on my computer, and not into a monitor or other separate device.

Can anyone give me advice?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

iPod classic does not require itunes, quicktime, or any other drivers to be installed, though it should not hurt anything.

If MM gets stuck on preparing list of tracks your best bet is to reset the ipod to factory conditions and try again.

peppergomez

Post by peppergomez »

I'm reading conflicting info online about how to reset ipod to factory conditions without using iTunes. Anyone know a way that doesn't rely of a 3rd party app, or if it's possible to do it from within MM?
peppergomez

Post by peppergomez »

PS- If by reset you are referring to holding Menu and Select until the Apple logo appears, and then holding Play and Select, I've already done that.

Update- I right-clicked on my iPod from My Computer and chose Format. Completed that process and wiped the data from it. Removed it from USB devices and replugged it. Recognized by both my computer and MM as my iPod. Am trying again but still stuck at Preparing List of Files. When I bought this iPod about a year ago, it synched fine with MM. I've synched it twice with MM since I've owned it, but only now is it refusing to sync.

What other troubleshooting options are there for me to try, and are there any MM Summary, Auto-Sync List, or Options settings that might be causing this endless cycle of "Preparing list of files"?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

peppergomez wrote:PS- If by reset you are referring to holding Menu and Select until the Apple logo appears, and then holding Play and Select, I've already done that.

Update- I right-clicked on my iPod from My Computer and chose Format. Completed that process and wiped the data from it. Removed it from USB devices and replugged it. Recognized by both my computer and MM as my iPod. Am trying again but still stuck at Preparing List of Files. When I bought this iPod about a year ago, it synched fine with MM. I've synched it twice with MM since I've owned it, but only now is it refusing to sync.

What other troubleshooting options are there for me to try, and are there any MM Summary, Auto-Sync List, or Options settings that might be causing this endless cycle of "Preparing list of files"?
You're beyond the point where I can provide any useful help. Generate a debug log ( http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=69 ) and send it to MM support ( http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... &_a=submit )

mcow

Post by mcow »

I recently wanted to factory-reset a nano 6G, but I had a coworker with iTunes do it for me. I read, at that time, that formatting (from Windows) makes your iPod unplayable. The good news, I think, is that you can still factory-reset it; you haven't lost anything; but the problem you're seeing may be due to having formatted it.
Prenzel.Hison

Post by Prenzel.Hison »

I quit using Zune because of synching issues. iPod is a lot better and easier to synch. Thanks to your tips! :)
riverboatsam

Post by riverboatsam »

Is there a way to STOP Media Monkey from syncing to my I-pod? I've even closed it in the task bar, and then it comes up and auto-syncs again.
And when it DOES that it messes things up on the I-pod. In a serious, unfriendly, BAD way.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Tools > Options > Portable/Audio Devices, configure the iPod and disable auto-sync as soon as device is connected.
nowonmai78

Post by nowonmai78 »

Just got a brand new iPod Classic 160GB and connected it up to my laptop with Mediamonkey. Did my first sync and it has labelled the files as the first 4 characters of the artist, with each song being in a different folder. Is this correct as I was expecting the files to be labelled <Artist> - <Title> as per the device config
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

nowonmai78 wrote:Just got a brand new iPod Classic 160GB and connected it up to my laptop with Mediamonkey. Did my first sync and it has labelled the files as the first 4 characters of the artist, with each song being in a different folder. Is this correct as I was expecting the files to be labelled <Artist> - <Title> as per the device config
Yes. iPods require that folder system and short file names in order to use the media files.

nowonmai78

Post by nowonmai78 »

nohitter151 wrote:
nowonmai78 wrote:Just got a brand new iPod Classic 160GB and connected it up to my laptop with Mediamonkey. Did my first sync and it has labelled the files as the first 4 characters of the artist, with each song being in a different folder. Is this correct as I was expecting the files to be labelled <Artist> - <Title> as per the device config
Yes. iPods require that folder system and short file names in order to use the media files.
Great, thanks for the quick reply. Seems to be working ok otherwise. :D
paui3

Post by paui3 »

I already used it to put music in my ipod but lately i cant, i dont know what happen. i try with 1 song and it says its looking for the song and trying to find the ipod but nothing.