Win 7 UAC everytime

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

FrozenAssets

Re: Win 7 UAC everytime

Post by FrozenAssets »

I did not understand the question about
PetrCBR wrote:So even when you're not changing anything MM prompts you for elevation every start ?
but based on
PetrCBR wrote:When language is changed, some registry values need to be updated (like auto-play texts need to be localized to newly selected language).
I understand the question to be aimed at whether or not I am changing language.

In my situation, I have not been changing the language settings.
I don't know if that is helpful, but for clarity, there it is.

Thanks for the effort all of you put into this forum. Nice community, great resource.
PetrCBR

Post by PetrCBR »

I meant when you'll run MM, close (without do anything) and start MM again.
FrozenAssets wrote:I did not understand the question about
PetrCBR wrote:So even when you're not changing anything MM prompts you for elevation every start ?
but based on
PetrCBR wrote:When language is changed, some registry values need to be updated (like auto-play texts need to be localized to newly selected language).
How to make a debuglog - step 4b: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643
FrozenAssets

Post by FrozenAssets »

Yes, even when I would change nothing, I would get prompted for elevation.
It was not happening at build 1462, but every build that I tried after that it would happen.
Then I would revert back to 1462 and everything was fine.

Deactivating "Re-associate File Types on startup" corrected the situation for me.
khelsing

Post by khelsing »

Sorry to disagreee, but like the file associations and most other settings of MediaMonkey auto-play options are per-user settings so elevation should never be needed. BTW: In my installation of MediaMonkey all auto-play and context menu options are unchecked.

Furthermore simply changing the language does not trigger the UAC prompt, it only pops up if "Re-associate File Types on startup" is activated and the language is changed.
PetrCBR

Post by PetrCBR »

Auto play handlers are in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE (that's why you need admin rights even when trying to change autoplay settings in windows). You can see that as per user settings, but in fact every change in this part need admin rights to be correctly registered in system.
khelsing

Post by khelsing »

PetrCBR wrote:Auto play handlers are in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Registering the AutoPlay handlers in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE of course requires admin rights. However, this is something that should only be done once during installation.
(that's why you need admin rights even when trying to change autoplay settings in windows).
AutoPlay settings can be changed with user privileges in Control Panel -> AutoPlay.

Besides that, I don't think that the UAC prompt is triggered by MM4's AutoPlay settings, because

1. In my installation of MediaMonkey all four options belonging to "Show AutoPlay actions for" and all three options belonging to "Show context-menu actions for" are unchecked; changing the language does not trigger the UAC prompt on startup.

2. If I activate any of the options belonging to "Show AutoPlay actions for" or any of the options belonging to "Show context-menu actions for", then change the language and restart MediaMonkey, I don't get the UAC prompt on startup.

3. After a language change in MediaMonkey the UAC prompt pops up on startup if (and only if) "Re-assoiate File Types on startup (recommended)" is checked, regardless the other settings mentioned above.

BTW: In XMPlay (http://www.un4seen.com) I can re-associate file types and configure context-menu actions with user privileges.

Anyway, it looks as though the issue has been removed from MantisBT, so I don't expect it to be fixed.
PetrCBR

Post by PetrCBR »

When you change a language, auto play handlers need to be re-registered (because while you're registering auto play handler, you need to define some strings as well and changing the language you need to change these strings). Currently when you're registering some file extension, this need to be registered in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT as well (because extensions set in MM is dynamic - can be changed by plugins so we cannot register them in installer like other apps) - that's the reason why it ask for elevation when 're-register' is checked. Will try to do something with that for 4.0.4 or 4.1.
khelsing

Post by khelsing »

My apologies for being such a nuisance, but I'm simply trying to understand what's going on.
PetrCBR wrote:When you change a language, auto play handlers need to be re-registered (because while you're registering auto play handler, you need to define some strings as well and changing the language you need to change these strings).
Then why is it that I never get the UAC prompt on startup after having changed the language even if all options of "Show AutoPlay actions for:" are checked (activated) provided that "Re-assoiate File Types on startup" is unchecked (inactivated)?

Post by Guest »

if this helps anyone, in my case i just installed Quicktime for the very first time and all of the sudden it started prompting me with UAC. the reason i installed quicktime is because mediamonkey wouldnt play m4a (apple) files without it. so i noticed whenever the last song i played when closing mediamonkey is an M4A file i get prompted with UAC when re-opening the program. if its an MP3 then no UAC. is that a mediamonkey issue or windows issue? id say its a windows issue.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Can you please try to clean all current QT installation (MM stops playing M4a) and install http://www.free-codecs.com/QT_Lite_download.htm
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
rkhanso

Post by rkhanso »

Has this problem ever been resolved? I know it's an old thread. I'm also having this problem.

I also get a UAC prompt asking me if I want to let MediaMonkey make changes to my computer....every time I start MediaMonkey.

I have tried the box for "Re-associate file types on startup" both checked and unchecked and it does not make a difference.

New home-built PC running Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit)
MediaMonkey 4.0.7.1511
rkhanso

Post by rkhanso »

rkhanso wrote:Has this problem ever been resolved? I know it's an old thread. I'm also having this problem.

I also get a UAC prompt asking me if I want to let MediaMonkey make changes to my computer....every time I start MediaMonkey.

I have tried the box for "Re-associate file types on startup" both checked and unchecked and it does not make a difference.

New home-built PC running Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit)
MediaMonkey 4.0.7.1511
No fix to this....other than turning OFF the Windows UAC notifications?
That can't be the solution.

I installed MM on my work laptop and it does NOT give me the UAC popup.
Darryl_Gittins

Post by Darryl_Gittins »

same problem here - in W8. And MM wants to start when W8 starts. I can't figure out why. I've looked at all of the Startup locations by using the Runalyzer app and I can't figure out why MM autoruns. So I have to hit the UAC dialog every time the computer starts.

Love M but this problem really sucks.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey has no option to auto-start with Windows. It may be set to startup in Windows startup or you have a device attached that starts MediaMonkey (see Auto-Play options in Control Panel).
Darryl_Gittins

Post by Darryl_Gittins »

johnnytest posted this proceure in another thread which resolved the issue for me. (Thanks John!)
http://forum.mediamonkey.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=63193

Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:35 pm

This seemed to work for just a local install:
1. Log in as an Administrator

2. Right click MediaMonkey installer and run as administrator.

3. Launch Media Monkey. Scan for media files. Exit.

4. Log in as standard user.

5. Right click MediaMonkey and "Run as administrator."

6.Click OK for any "com elevation" prompts.

7. Exit. and then launch with normal Icon click.

I wonder if those installs having problems have something to do with the initial com elevation prompts? Seems like that was the only time UAC came into play on mine.
Subsequent launches by the standard user didn't have any prompts for elevation/UAC.