[REQ] Exit Button

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

dtsig

Re: [REQ] Exit Button

Post by dtsig »

Really ... that is what they are talking about. Oh my. We need a simple 'Exit' or 'Close' IN MMA. Probably best in the menu but somewhere. Not stop mma, then exit it, then pull down, then select stop. Leave this stop in. No reason to remove it but add a Exit on the menu that stops and closes out MMA completely. Please.

Having just tried it i find an oddness that I will post in another topic.
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

Yea i found it cumbersome too but letting the music play while going to the home screen is something one would normally do on a phone so it is a good idea to leave it in the tray but would be nice in the menu too and even better to have them work :wink:
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
mcow

Post by mcow »

dtsig wrote: We need a simple 'Exit' or 'Close' IN MMA.
The Stop button on the notification-tray icon is good enough because it kills the icon, with the extra bonus that it stops the track. If the icon is visible, then the track is in progress and can be resumed. I find this satisfactory, because it gives a more useful meaning to the icon. I would like to Stop from the MMW Now Playing window...
Having just tried it i find an oddness that I will post in another topic.
Yeah, I saw that too.
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

mcow wrote: ... I find this satisfactory ...
I guess if 'satisfactory' is what we are going for ... then okay :)
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
mcow

Post by mcow »

It's just that I can't get exercised about "removing the program from memory" or from the task list or whatever. I'm willing to trust Android's process management. I don't see the point of a feature that's counter to the OS guidelines.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

Its better GUI design to place an exit / off buttton in the menu to allow the User to close the program manually when the user may have been in the programs pages or menu listings for 10 or more pages then to make them use the back button and go backwards through them all to close the program, even simple games provide an exit button to exit the game, i understand MM developers not wanting one but it will be impossible for mass users to enjoy the MMA version when they have no way of exiting the program except the back button. 8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
BigInJapan

Post by BigInJapan »

Good points by rovingcowboy. I'd also like the throw in the notion that this is a beta. We're all donating a lot of time to help test this out. I, and probably most here, happily go into this knowing things are going to go wrong. It's frustrating though that when things do go wrong, it's unnecessarily tedious to kill the app. Even if it gets yanked before the final release, it would be nice to have a kill switch for the time being.
Remember when Last.fm had those cool imagegen charts for use in signatures?
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

MMA'S Stop button is still not working it just sits there in the notification tray and mock's me each time i click it on my phone.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

rovingcowboy wrote:Its better GUI design to place an exit / off buttton in the menu to allow the User to close the program manually when the user may have been in the programs pages or menu listings for 10 or more pages then to make them use the back button and go backwards through them all to close the program, even simple games provide an exit button to exit the game, i understand MM developers not wanting one but it will be impossible for mass users to enjoy the MMA version when they have no way of exiting the program except the back button. 8)
Not saying that I wouldn't appreciate an exit button in the MMA menu too, but I think that the existing design is preferable if there is to be only one exit button.

Since the android UI is set up for multi-tasking, the chances are that I would be elsewhere when I need to terminate the music and would like to close the app. The existing UI allows me to do this from the shade w/o needing to re-enter the app.

PowerAmp works the same way.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

But the thing is the stop button in the tray does not show up until you have closed mma & use the widget player, not many like to do that when they are making playlists of all the different albums by going into the different albums and picking songs, having to close to widget to exit mma is not best way, and the tray stop button does not work on my phone it is useless .
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

Just upgraded to mma 126 beta and the tray stop close button is working now on my android phone.
captainmcl

Post by captainmcl »

I do not have lock screen controls or play/pause/stop in the tray, but I assume that is because I am on a 2.3 version of Android. (The stock music player does have these features, though.)

All of this discussion seems very strange to me -- it has the feeling of one user after another making the case for the exit button (either in the tray or the menu, or why not both?), and the developers repeatedly telling the users that they don't need it. I realize that's a gross generalization of the thread, but if so many users want it (and I would add my vote to that), doesn't that mean by definition that it is a desired feature?
CaptainMCL
Frisco, TX, USA
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Maybe the developers are correct.

I just looked through my installed Android apps. Most don't have an Exit button on their menu, especially those which set up, and then allow later interaction with, a long running background task or service, which is how a music player can be seen.
Other examples; Facebook, Twitter, other Music app such as Sonos & PowerAmp, Drive, FireFox, Chrome, Email, Evernote

Maybe this is considered best practice in Android.

Maybe the case can be made that the existence of an Exit option in the main menu sets up the presumption that, like in a traditional OS, the user needs to revisit the app in order to close and reclaim resources.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
joltman

Post by joltman »

Barry4679 wrote:Maybe the developers are correct.

I just looked through my installed Android apps. Most don't have an Exit button on their menu, especially those which set up, and then allow later interaction with, a long running background task or service, which is how a music player can be seen.
Other examples; Facebook, Twitter, other Music app such as Sonos & PowerAmp, Drive, FireFox, Chrome, Email, Evernote

Maybe this is considered best practice in Android.

Maybe the case can be made that the existence of an Exit option in the main menu sets up the presumption that, like in a traditional OS, the user needs to revisit the app in order to close and reclaim resources.
But PowerAmp does have an exit button when you pull down the Notification Shade. Being able to stop/close an app is needed if I want to use another media player that will also use headphones media buttons. I think so many people have asked for it, that it should probably be included.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

joltman wrote: But PowerAmp does have an exit button when you pull down the Notification Shade.
You on the latest version of MMA (v 1.0.4.0126)?

MediaMonkey has an exit button on the notification shade just like PowerAmp. It is a square Stop button. PowerAmp's is an X.

Unlike PowerAmp, the MMA version only shows in the shade when you leave MMA via either the Home or Back button.