Win 7 UAC everytime

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

quofiend

Re: Win 7 UAC everytime

Post by quofiend »

Hi ALl

MM never used to startup with UAC prompts... Now it seems to prompt everytime.
I've tried the various suggestions in forums, reassociated the files etc.
I am running the exe's as Administrator, I only have ONE user on this laptop and it is admin level etc etc..

Really frustrating. Anyone any ideas ?
This never used to be the case... not sure when it started. About 1 maybe 2 upgrades ago.
I'm running W7 . Gold Key. 4.0.7 1511
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Did you disable the re-associate on startup option, do you have any additional Addons installed?
quofiend

Post by quofiend »

No additional add-ons applied. Just the default installation set up. I think. Cant recall adding anything else.
I have tried with and without the reassociate check box "checked".
No difference.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I believe that some UAC issues have been addressed with MediaMonkey 4.1 (available as beta in MediaMonkey for Windows Beta Testing forum). It may have addressed the issue you have.
quofiend

Post by quofiend »

Thx.. I guess I will wait. Not installing a beta at this time.
quofiend

Post by quofiend »

So I tried 4.1 1672
No joy..
Still have UAC prompt everythime I start MM.

This was not the case prior to one of the more recent 4.0 and onwards.
PLease fix folks ?
PetrCBR

Post by PetrCBR »

quofiend, and did you accept that UAC prompt ? If so, can you make me a log, please ?
How to make a debuglog - step 4b: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643
cfineman

Post by cfineman »

FWIW i got three UAC dialogs every time I started MM (407.1511 currently). When I turned off "reassociate" I no longer get those annoying dialogs.
quofiend

Post by quofiend »

PetrCBR wrote:quofiend, and did you accept that UAC prompt ? If so, can you make me a log, please ?
HI .. sorry .. I missed this request. Would a log still be useful ? Remind me how ?

I also just Noticed new version.... let me load that first and try again.
quofiend

Post by quofiend »

OK.. so loaded 1685. Still get UAC message.

In fact.. when i responded YES to the 'start MM' prompt after installing, i got blown out with Windows message about prog requiring elevation.
But clicking on the normal desktop icon took me in , via the UAC prompt.
The MM desktop icon now also has the windows 'shield' on it... whats that about ?
Peke

Post by Peke »

quofiend wrote:OK.. so loaded 1685. Still get UAC message.

In fact.. when i responded YES to the 'start MM' prompt after installing, i got blown out with Windows message about prog requiring elevation.
But clicking on the normal desktop icon took me in , via the UAC prompt.
The MM desktop icon now also has the windows 'shield' on it... whats that about ?
Shield means that App start needs elevation. Can you please Open Support ticket as I would need more private information for solving this issue.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
quofiend

Post by quofiend »

Done VTQ-518386
Although I dont plan on spending too much time messing about with this.
I'd just like you guys to fix it.
I have software to use, not software to fix :-) :-)
quofiend

Post by quofiend »

Well that was embarassing !!!
Somewhere, way back in the anals of this issue, i was told or asked or it was suggested that I "run as administrator".
And the shortcuts have been that way since.

After opening a ticket, the MM Support guy "peke" opened up the shortcut, removed the RUN AS ADMIN" and no more UAC message ... this is on the current Beta.

Oooops !!
beautyandbeast5

Post by beautyandbeast5 »

Okay okay okay so I finally managed to get rid of my UAC issues. My problem was that I had a lot of music files associated and even trying to open them launched a MM UAC. I did what most of us did and ran the program as administrator. Didn't work so I then removed the 're-associate files' clause BUT I forgot to take the run as administrator clause again SOOOOO in the end,

1) Make sure you are not running as administrator (for WIN8 make sure BOTH administrator boxes are unchecked: properties > compatibility > run this program as an administrator AND properties > shortcut > advanced > run as administrator)

2) Uncheck and make sure your MM is not re-associating files at the start (MM > Tools > Options > OS Integration > re-associate file types on start-up)

This should take care of the problem, since nothing else did for me (and I tried like everything suggested on every thread out there including shortcuts disguised as scheduled tasks with the highest level of access, command prompt scripts designed for other programs with this issue and installing and uninstalling in every combo possible -.-)

EJ :)
floydo

Post by floydo »

beautyandbeast5 wrote:Uncheck and make sure your MM is not re-associating files at the start (MM > Tools > Options > OS Integration > re-associate file types on start-up)
Finally! Works for me. Win 7 ultimate.
Thx