Classical Music collection syncing

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

timkjr

Classical Music collection syncing

Post by timkjr »

Hi all,

I have defined my Classical Music collection to include multiple genres (Choral, Symphonic, Piano, etc.), which works great for displaying in MM. I have a Cowon X5 (syncing as a USBMass device), and would like to have the Classical Music sync to a different Destination mask than the Music collection. This works for the genre Classical, but not for the other genres included in my Classical Music collection; the other genres are triggering the Music destination mask instead. I'm running RC 4.1.0.1690, although this also happened on the previous 4.0.7. I''m on Win7 x64.

EDIT: For clarification, I also redefined the Music collection to exclude the genres included in Classical Music.

Am I missing something? I know I could set up a $if in the Music destination mask, but that seems kludgy. Another possibility might be to use subgenres under the Classical genre, but I haven't been able to find a way to do that either.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

-Tim K.
Last edited by Lowlander on Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to correct Forum
Lowlander

Re: Classical Music collection syncing

Post by Lowlander »

Destination is set per Type not per Collection.
rkeesecker

Post by rkeesecker »

I don't understand the "destination mask" to which you refer, but I am disappointed that apparently classical music is - somehow - handled differently during a sync than other music such as jazz and rock. Genre, Artists & Album Artists, and Genre are picked up fine syncing with non-classical music, but they are not synced at all for classical music. I've tried different sync settings any number of times, both for internal storage and the external storage 64GB microSD card. I've tried syncing classical music via the Music collection instead of the Classical Music collection. The issues remain the same both ways.

I have MM Gold 4.1.4.1709 and MMA Pro 1.0.6.0293.

After syncing Classical Music to MM Android to the External Storage 64GB micro SD card, the following categories (icon links) have nothing in them:
Albums
Artists & Album Artists
Tracks
Genres
However, the general Composers category is OK and has the full list of composers.

The Classical Music category's three subcategories are all OK:
Composers
Albums
Tracks

These are issues which need attention in an update. Especially a concern for me is not being able to sync my carefully-crafted classical music genres.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Classical Music is separated in MMA and thus not listed in Music categories like Albums. If you want Classical Music to be treated the same as Music set Type to Music for Classical Music in MMW (in Properties).
rkeesecker

Post by rkeesecker »

OK, I changed the Type to Music instead of Classical Music and wound up with all the music in the db. That doesn't fit the bill, so I added Classical Music so there are two Types: Music and Classical Music. Still wound up with all the music in the db. Then I added criteria "Genre contains 'Classical'," which brought it back to the original point of having just classical music. However, it still synced the same way as before these changes were added.

I can sync selected Playlists and the music syncs but the names of the playlists do not sync ... they don't show up under the Playlists category. As an alternative I had created a few playlists to replicate some classical music genres. Good idea, but it doesn't work. Bottom line is that I cannot listen to classical music by genre or playlist. This is a significant glitch. I can have rock genres and playlists, but not classical music genres and playlists. That doesn't make sense to me. I will submit a support ticket about this and hope there is some solution. In the meantime I will be patient and wait/hope for an update which addresses this issue since apparently the whole android support thing is fairly new with MediaMonkey. I sure grew to dislike iTunes, but syncing was never an issue.