MM v4 & Sonos

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

MarkODD

Re: MM v4 & Sonos

Post by MarkODD »

I agree with drspf. Sonos works well with MM.

I did have some initial troubles getting it to play under Windoes XP (I eventually had to disable the firewall to get it to work) but under Windows 7 it works nicely. MM takes care of playlists, ratings, playcounts and all that and the music plays through the quality Sonos speakers.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

I have the MM 4.1 beta, Win 7 & Sonos, but the combination doesn't work well from my POV.

The problem is at the Sonos end. They broke their support for playing whole albums via WMP in their last release. You used to be able to select an album as a container of all of its tracks, but this is no longer available. You now just get to select tracks, and their (Sonos) android and Apple based controllers can only select a single track, having no multi-select capability.

The impact of this is that there is no way to queue a whole album from MM source with any of their controllers other than their PC based one, and even there you have to firstly drill down into the album and then select all of the tracks.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
drsfp

Post by drsfp »

For anyone interested in combining MediaMonkey with Sonos and landing on this forum topic: it works excellent with the release of MM 4.1. Just select the Sonos as your preferred player and songs are played instantly. A great improvement over some beta version I have tested.

I love using MM with the Last.fm node (http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24879) which has an auto DJ function that selects matching tracks from Last.fm. I'm very happy I can use this AND hear the music through my hifi set.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

drsfp wrote:For anyone interested in combining MediaMonkey with Sonos and landing on this forum topic: it works excellent with the release of MM 4.1. Just select the Sonos as your preferred player and songs are played instantly. A great improvement over some beta version I have tested.

I love using MM with the Last.fm node (http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24879) which has an auto DJ function that selects matching tracks from Last.fm. I'm very happy I can use this AND hear the music through my hifi set.
Yes, I agree that when you use MMW to push to the Sonos, rather than try pull from the MM UPnP server using Sonos sw, this is a nice improvement.

The disappointment is that if this method is used to queue the tracks to Sonos, you have little control over what is playing unless you return to your PC.

Using any of the Sonos hw or sw controllers, you can pause & un-pause a track, and you can see the track title and album of the currently playing track, but you can neither skip forwards nor back, and you cannot see which track had played before, nor which tracks are queued up to play next.

It would be great if MMA could be extended to remotely control MMW, or MMW could work better with the Sonos queue.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Barry4679 wrote:
It would be great if MMA could be extended to remotely control MMW, or MMW could work better with the Sonos queue.
There are plenty of other options to remote control MMW from an Android device. I like MonkeyTunes, also works on iOS.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Craino

Post by Craino »

Following this thread with much interest and learned a lot (Sonos for two years but new MM user).

Just curious for those of you saying MM shows up in your Sonos media library list. It's not in mine, although all other things mentioned are working fine. Where would I see the MM library?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It depends on how you named your Media Server in MediaMonkey.
Craino

Post by Craino »

At the top, I clicked "share media". That brought up the option to enable the media server, which I did. I did not change the default server name of MediaMonkey Library.

Poking through menu options in Sonos, I don't see it anywhere.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Tools > Options > Media Sharing is where you set this up.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Make sure that you have Sonos setup to include visibility of UPnP servers:
* in the Sonos desktop controller go Manage|Settings|Advanced and check "Show Rhapsody UPnP Servers"

In MediaMonkey make sure that the UPnP server is running:
* Tools|Options|MediaSharing, then make sure that the Server has a status of Running in the right hand column ... if no check it it as Enabled, the press OK

On that screen you can also install it as a Service (so that it it starts up with the PC without the need to start MediaMonkey).

Also on that screen if you click on the server, and press Options you can get to control which indices are made available to Sonos (via the "Shared Content" tab)

If it is all working you will see the MediaMonkey Library at the same level as you see Music Library, Radio, Sonos Playlists, etc

Sadly the indices are effectively view only, as Sonos (or somebody) broke UPnP support a few releases ago ... You will find that you can queue tracks, but not whole albums.

You can queue whole albums from MediaMonkey though. You need to go to Tools|Options|Player in MediaMonkey, and chose "UPnP/DLNA Renderer as the Player, and then select one of your zones in the box under that.

Then whenever you use MediaMonkey to play anything it will play on your Sonos on the nominated zone. You can use your Sonos controller to group zones, or move the music from place to place. The controller shows what is playing, including album art. You can also use then to Pause|UnPause or change volume. ... However you can't use the Sonos controllers to skip tracks back or forwards, nor can you see the queue with the Sonos controllers.
loubat

Post by loubat »

drsfp wrote:For anyone interested in combining MediaMonkey with Sonos and landing on this forum topic: it works excellent with the release of MM 4.1. Just select the Sonos as your preferred player and songs are played instantly. A great improvement over some beta version I have tested.

I can access MM fine from Sonos, but just tried doing it the opposite way, setting Sonos as my preferred player in MM, and when I try to play a track, Sonos throws a cannot connect to [ip] error. Any ideas?
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

loubat wrote:I can access MM fine from Sonos, but just tried doing it the opposite way, setting Sonos as my preferred player in MM, and when I try to play a track, Sonos throws a cannot connect to [ip] error. Any ideas?
Works ok here.

Where does the error show?

I would try turning everything off that is connected to the network, and then rebooting starting from the router.