Missing Albums

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

urhixidur

Missing Albums

Post by urhixidur »

I've stumbled into something really strange today. I had not noticed it before, but MediaMonkey is apparently censoring/forgetting/skipping a small number of albums in my (rather large) music library.

I can read the mp3s directly, but no amount of scanning recovers them. I get no errors. The same albums appear fine in iTunes. I've checked the filter settings, and they're not responsible for this.

I've tried taking a single mp3 out of its folder and copying it elsewhere to see what is causing this. Not the path, then.
I've tried renaming the mp3. Nope. MediaMonkey reports the import of a new file and the loss of the previous one, but it still doesn't appear anywhere.
I've tried changing the mp3's title tag and others. Nope.
I've tried using WavePad to resample at 256 kbps. Nope.

I'm baffled.

So far these albums (at least) are mysteriously absent: P.D.Q. Bach's "1712 Overture & Other Musical Assaults", "A Little Nightmare Music", "Addicted to P.D.Q. Bach", "An Evening With P.D.Q. Bach", "An Hysteric Return", "Black Forest Bluegrass", "The Intimate P.D.Q. Bach", "Music for an Awful Lot of Winds & Percussion", "Music You Can't Get Out Of Your Head", "P.D.Q. Bach On the Air", "Two Pianos Are Better Than One". Other albums in the same folder do appear. So far I haven't found any other artist to be missing albums.

Any clue? How about clues on how to get clues?
Daniel U. Thibault
a.k.a. Urhixidur
a.k.a. Seigneur Bohémond de Nicée
Lowlander

Re: Missing Albums

Post by Lowlander »

Have you checked the Entire Library > Location node (enable under File > Manage Collections) for them? It seems there is a chance the Path of the files is too long. The full Path (including drive and extension) of files in Windows shouldn't exceed 255 characters.
urhixidur

Post by urhixidur »

Nope, it's not a path length problem: copying any one of the "missing" mp3s from e.g.

"C:\Users\Public\Music\P.D.Q. Bach\Music for an Awful Lot of Winds & Percussion\01 Introduction (Grand Serenade).mp3"
to
"C:\Users\Public\Music\01 Introduction (Grand Serenade).mp3"

made no difference. It's only 116 characters anyway.
Daniel U. Thibault
a.k.a. Urhixidur
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

You're sure it's not due to filter settings? Did you check "Entire library" as Lowlander suggested?

It might not be enabled, you can turn it on at File > Manage collections and put a check mark next to "Entire library"
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
urhixidur

Post by urhixidur »

I have 24 703 mp3s in the "C:\Users\Public\Music\" directory alone, MediaMonkey reports 24 210 music files, 23 926 of which are mp3s. A difference of 777 mp3s.

It finally hit me: these are all the albums marked "Classical"! Turns out this is a MediaMonkey option to break the collection down into broad categories. Unfortunately, this sample of one cannot be turned off unless one gets MediaMonkey Gold.

You can search the entire library using the Ctrl-F dialog. The search box in the toolbar is configured by default to search "just" the Music collection, I had to change this using the drop-down beside the search box.

Problem solved. Thanks to all who took the time to try to help.
Daniel U. Thibault
a.k.a. Urhixidur
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Note that a clean install of MediaMonkey 4.1 will show Classical Music in the Music Collection by default (no Gold needed). However this isn't the case for upgrades.