Songs sync but not playlists (iPod Touch 5)

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

marmie2again

Songs sync but not playlists (iPod Touch 5)

Post by marmie2again »

I have MediaMonkey Gold 4.1.0.1683 and I'm using an iPod Touch 5.

I had to do a factory reset on iPod, and I want to sync my music back to iPod (I don't want iTunes to manage my music).

In the device configuration, I chose about 50 playlists I wanted to sync. It synced all the songs in those playlists, but not the playlists. It put them all in one place (Songs). No playlist show on iPod.

How do I get my MediaMonkey playlists to sync too? I've searched for related issues here and I think I have done everything correctly.

Thanks!
Lowlander

Re: Songs sync but not playlists (iPod Touch 5)

Post by Lowlander »

I suggest you start with updating the latest version of MediaMonkey which is 4.1.1.
marmie2again

Post by marmie2again »

OK. I did that. Now I have 4.1.1.1703. By the way, when I used the "Check for updates" link under the Help menu, it told me the version I had (4.1.0.1683) was most current. Apparently that's not true.

Anyway...

Now when I try to sync, it says there is not enough room on the iPod (it's a 32 gig iPod). All my songs and apps and everything else usually leave about 9 gig free. I think it is trying to copy all the songs onto the iPod again instead of just the playlists.

Do I need to remove all the music and try again? It takes sooooooo long to load 3700 songs onto the iPod! Ugh.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It sounds like that will be necessary. Not sure why it isn't recognizing the existing files on the iPod though.
marmie2again

Post by marmie2again »

Arrrrgh.

Tried just deleting the music files. The space was still acting like the files were there. Did full factory reset with delete all content.

Restored iPod from iTunes (which I have set up to NOT sync or restore music). iPod ended up with 1.1 gb of used space with the half dozen apps and 50 photos I have on the iTunes backup.

Opened MediaMonkey. MediaMonkey says it has 4500 songs taking up 21.4 gb. WTF? Tried closing MediaMonkey and restarting it. Same result. :(
marmie2again

Post by marmie2again »

BTW, iPod itself says "No content" when I try to view Songs, Artists and/or Playlists. iTunes shows NO music files on the "On this iPod" screen.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Check in the Device Profile (Tools > Options > Portable Device Sync) what is checked to be synced. It's likely that something like a Collection or Playlist is checked that shouldn't be.

If you're looking at the status bar, it will show content after sync would be completed.
marmie2again

Post by marmie2again »

Lowlander wrote:If you're looking at the status bar, it will show content after sync would be completed.
Oh, that might be it! The only things checked to be synced are my ipod and my kids' ipods (though there are like 5 different ipods associate with me for some reason). I unchecked the ones I thought were old, and suddenly MM wouldn't recognize my ipod when I plugged it in. So I went back and rechecked them all out of laziness.
marmie2again

Post by marmie2again »

I'm now attempting a sync. It is copying 4498 files. This will take a very long time. In a perfect world, this will now result in songs AND their associated playlists on my iPod. If not, I'm mostly wishing I had not upgraded my MM.
marmie2again

Post by marmie2again »

Crud. Almost 900 songs have transferred to the iPod and no playlists. :(

I noticed when I was playing with things before I posted here, that I could DRAG a playlist from the computer to the iPod and it would copy both the playlist and the associated songs. But syncing still resulted in its trying to duplicate all the songs on the iPod again (with no playlists).

Must have my playlists. One big song list of 4498 songs is useless to me.

BTW, thank you for your help. I just want it fixed! :)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Playlists are synced at the end thus at 900 out of nearly 5000 files you won't see Playlists. You can right click on Playlist in the Playlist node, Send To > iPod for syncing a manual selection.
marmie2again

Post by marmie2again »

Thanks.

It did NOT sync the playlists at the end. All the songs copied, no playlists. I did another factory reset this morning and am starting fresh again. This is the 4th time.

If I sync manually by dragging playlists or doing Send To, will subsequent changes to my playlists be synced later with a regular sync? That was not happening with the version I had before yesterday (4.1.0.1683) when you said to get the newer version.

This is not a new issue for me, just never took the time to deal with it before. I got the new iPod for Christmas and couldn't get it to sync properly then. I gave up and started using iTunes. Now I'm determined to make the software I've been using to manage my music since 2007 (and just paid to upgrade right before I got the new iPod) work on my NEW iPod the way it worked on my old one (5th generation nano). This is so frustrating!
marmie2again

Post by marmie2again »

BTW, I think I'm losing some of my old DRM "protected" stuff now. Fewer and fewer songs are transferring each time I do this. :(
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Manually synced songs shouldn't resync with Auto-Sync (but will be prompted to be removed if they're not on the sync list).

Have you made sure you're running the latest iTunes?

You may want to capture the sync in a debug log (step 4b) and send it to support if it didn't sync the Playlists: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=12&t=69
MediaJohnKey

Post by MediaJohnKey »

For what it's worth I also have this problem and can't find a solution. Each time I want to add new songs to my iPod I have to do a complete factory reset and sync from fresh. Very annoying. I will probably try MusicBee and see if this works any better.