Auto-labeling downloaded M3U streams with ID3 tags

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

ultranothing

Auto-labeling downloaded M3U streams with ID3 tags

Post by ultranothing »

Hi everyone! Here's what I'm trying to do:

I open a URL in MM which points to an M3U stream. The MP3's appear in my "Now Playing" list. I can select all of those audio files and "send to" > "Folder (copy)" > [folder].

Is there a way to:

A. Have MM automatically create a subfolder, label it based upon the album title from the ID3 tags, and download to said folder, and

B. Automatically re-label the individual MP3's based upon the song titles in their ID3 tags?

In MM, the files appear in my "Now Playing" list as only their base file name:

But the MP3's themselves are very neatly tagged:

When I follow the above steps to send the audio files to my specified folder, they're downloaded as their original filename (incomprehensible labels used specifically by the host for cataloging purposes), but they're neatly labeled via ID3 for the end user when they're streaming it.

So, is there a way for MM to download the MP3's and rename them based upon their ID3 song titles, and into their own folder, which is labeled based upon their ID3 album name?

The dream would be a MediaMonkey extension for Chrome which would accomplish all of those goals simply by right-clicking the M3U stream link and selecting something like "Rip stream to folder," which would download all of the file links in the M3U and automatically label and organize them. But that's probably pushing it...

There was an extension for Firefox, back in '07 - '08, called "M3U Ripper" which did almost exactly that. You would right-click the M3U link, and it downloaded all of the files, renamed them based upon their ID3 song titles and put them into their own folder (though the folder was labeled after the title of the M3U and not the ID3 album tag). That fantastic piece of software is, sadly, no longer compatible with Firefox.

Any ideas, or thoughts, or solutions, or am I just crazy?

Thanks in advance!
ultranothing

Re: Auto-labeling downloaded M3U streams with ID3 tags

Post by ultranothing »

I just found this, by psyXonova » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:00 am, here: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5498, under "Interface - General".

Option to force MM catalogue files Copied with the "Send to" command (Status: Medium Priority)

Not sure if this is at all similar to what I'd mentioned, but "cataloging" via "send to" is essentially what I'm looking for.
ultranothing

Post by ultranothing »

Okay, I think I might be getting somewhere, but maybe not?

In the options menu, under "Downloads/Podcasts" I can select a default download location and I see that it has support for <album>, <title>, etc.

So I put "D:\The Vault\Music\Grateful Dead\Bootlegs and Soundboard Recordings\<Album>\<Title>" as the default location. Unfortunately, it's still only saving the files to D:\...\...Soundboard Recordings\"

Am I doing something wrong, or am I not even close to the right track...?
ultranothing

Post by ultranothing »

Sorta getting somewhere...

I go to Auto-Organize > Convert Files and I set the parameters. Now I'm here:

What I'm seeing in the sample is EXACTLY what I'm after.

*Moment of truth!*

I hit "Ok" and...

Nope. It's copying to "Unknown" > Actual file name.

I think I may have messed it up. Let's try again...

I just navigated back to the same screen, and with what I can see as being the exact same parameters, now the folder and title is back to "unknown" and the actual file name:

Ahhh! What happened? What am I doing wrong?

And if I ever get it right, can I do a batch process? Like, add multiple M3U's to my Now Playing list, select all, and rip several M3U's worth of files at once?

Thanks!
ultranothing

Post by ultranothing »

No settings will get MM to recognize the <album> and <title> in the destination folder.

Also, I can "copy" the files to my HDD and they're saved as MP3, but I can't "convert" them because "there was a problem...". "MediaMonkey is unable to decode this format." What format? MP3? Really?

This just went from mildly frustrating, to hopeful, to insane. What am I missing here?
ultranothing

Post by ultranothing »

Okay, so right now, the only way I know how to accomplish my goal is to:

1. Open the URL to the M3U stream and let the audio files populate into my Now Playing list, 2. Select all of the songs and send them to my local drive, 3. Clear the playlist, 4. Select the MP3 files that are now on my drive and drag them into the Now Playing list, and 5. Convert/move/whatever them utilizing the <album> and <title> parameters.

Is that really the only way? Why isn't MM reading the ID3's of the songs beforehand? And how was it able to do it that one time (see image above)...?

Of course, it didn't actually convert and label them the way it had showed in the sample box, but it told me that it at least SEES the ID3 tags. When it wants to...
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The files have no tags (first screenshot), thus Auto-Organize Files, although it is the correct tool, can't do the job as the tags are unknown. Does the M3U contain track information and which version of MediaMonkey are you using?
ultranothing

Post by ultranothing »

Lowlander wrote:The files have no tags (first screenshot), thus Auto-Organize Files, although it is the correct tool, can't do the job as the tags are unknown. Does the M3U contain track information and which version of MediaMonkey are you using?
Hey, thanks for your response. True, the M3U files themselves don't contain tags or track information. They're simply a list of links to the MP3 location(s).

Once I Send To > Folder (copy) and MM downloads the files, I can then auto-organize them with the directory parameters <album>\<title> because once the MP3's are actually ON my drive, MM can read the ID3 tag info. I copy the files to the destination folder, clear my Now Playing list, drag and drop the downloaded MP3's into my Now Playing list, select them all, and Auto-Organize. This gives me exactly the end-result I'm after.

Is there a way, such as via a script, to do this automatically when I Send To > Folder (copy)? Something to the effect of: Send To > Folder (copy, then auto-organize) would be perfect.

Also, an option in "Open URL or File" to add multiple URL's at once. That way, I can put in all the URL's at once, all of the audio tracks in those M3U's will populate to my Now Playing list, and I can Send To > Folder (copy, then auto-organize) and sit back for a bit while MM works its magic.

Oh, and I'm using v4.1.1.1703, registered.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Tools > Options > Auto-Organize is the automatic Auto-Organize Files.
ultranothing

Post by ultranothing »

Lowlander wrote:Tools > Options > Auto-Organize is the automatic Auto-Organize Files.
Okay, let me give it a shot that way and see how it works...

I've opened a URL to the M3U stream. The audio tracks populate into my Now Playing list. I select them all and hit Auto-Organize. A list appears, but the file paths appear as ...\unknown\[base file name].mp3. Perhaps it will rename the folder and tracks once it's done copying. Nope, it's created a folder called "unknown" and has kept the original filenames, disregarding any of the ID3 info. Let me try to Auto-Organize them again. Nope, it still can't see the ID3 info.

If I clear that playlist and then drag/drop the resultant MP3's into the Now Playing field, it will list the tracks by their ID3 titles. I can then auto-organize the tracks again, into their proper folder and with their proper track titles.

So, essentially, Auto-Organize acts on online M3U track listings in nearly the exact same way as Send To > Folder(copy); I still have to complete the other steps in order to auto-organize them with their ID3 data.

Baby steps, though! At least, with Auto-Organize, it's creating a folder for the tracks (albeit titled "unknown"), unlike Send To > Folder which does not create a folder but simply allows you to select which folder the files are downloaded to.
ultranothing

Post by ultranothing »

Is there a way this thread can be moved into the "Need Help?" section? It doesn't actually belong in the wishlist. I could really use some advice, here, and I'm not getting anywhere in this particular forum.

Thanks to Lowlander, though, for at least providing a link to it in the appropriate section.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I've already explained it all. Unless you provide the M3U stream URL here or to support, you'll have the problem that the tags are empty and thus any tag based organizing will not work. With the M3U stream URL the developers will be able to see if this is something that can be improved on.
ultranothing

Post by ultranothing »

Rise from the GRAVE, old thread of mine!

But I'm back on this kick and I've got a new storage option, so I'm really trying to get this done.

Here's the long process to what I'm trying to streamline/make easier/etc.:

1. I copy the link address of an M3U stream and open it up into MM.

2. I highlight all of those files and hit "Send To > Folder (copy)"

3, I point the system to the folder I've created for the files.

4. The files download into the folder, thanks to MM.

5. I clear the "now playing" list and then I select all of the MP3's I just downloaded.

6. I drag and drop those MP3's back into my "now playing" list (MM can now see the ID3 tags).

7. I select them all and go to Tools > Auto-organize files.

8. MM renames all the MP3's based upon the ID3 tags.

9. I now have a neatly organized folder of the album, with the files nearly organized and labeled.

10. On to the nect M3U stream. Wash, rinse and repeat.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to just right-click the link from Chrome and select "Download and organize and do all those ten steps for me." Is that possible?

Failing that, is there any way to be able to just open a URL in MM and have it automate that process so I don't have to keep going through all those steps for every album I'm triying to download from the web?

Post by Guest »

Hi, everyone!

I know MediaMonkey is very malleable and user-friendly and scripts can be created, etc...

So, does anyone have any clue what I'm talking about here? Or what I want to do?

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Hi, everyone!

I know MediaMonkey is very malleable and user-friendly and scripts can be created, etc...

So, does anyone have any clue what I'm talking about here? Or what I want to do?
I guess...I'm a guest? Even though it says I'm logged in...

ANYWAY! I just noticed that over 1000 people viewed this thread...

But only, like, one guy who didn't get it, ever responded.

Weird, right?