Blue Screen Caused by MM. Access Violations.

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

danobot

Blue Screen Caused by MM. Access Violations.

Post by danobot »

I'm pretty sure I've read all existing posts about this issue but none of them helped even remotely.
Note: All screenshots and other resources mentioned in this post are accessible through my Google Drive.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing
System Specs
  • 1.I'm running MM 4.1.1.1703 on 64-bit Windows 7.
    2.My library has ~700 songs, 30 audiobooks. I use different scripts (AutoRate Accurate, BackUp and so on).
    3.See Google Drive for text files containing extremely detailed system information (exported by the system information utility in Windows 7)
    There is also a system information file (for those who know how to handle them) exported by that same utility.
    If you require any further information let me know, please.
    The Problem:
    • (1) After playing music for a while (this includes making playlists, rearranging the queue, editing tags, though the problem also occurs when I simply play music) wither:
      • a) the music gets stuck playing a short section of the song on repeat (the computer is completely frozen)
        b) the music gets stuck playing an extremely annoying monotone sound (it sounds very electronic, sound driver error???*) (again, all i can do is kill the computer)
        c) The computer shows a blue screen and restarts automatically.
    *I updated the sound card driver. Windows says it's up to date.
    Symptoms I have already identified:
    • 1. The amount of time from opening MM to the occurance of a blue screen seems to be random. (sometimes it works fine for 20min, other times it happens within 2minutes)
      2. I have recently partitioned my harddrive and moved all my important data to a seperate partition (ie. away from the Windows partition). After relinking all library folders, MM had no problem finding files and library databases. As far as I can tell the problems started after I partitioned the harddrive/set up dual boot. UPDATE: Ive formatted all partitions, moved my music to Windows C:/ and comepletly deleted the second operating system.
      3. These problems do not occur when Im not using MM. (no blue screens)
      4. Sometimes I get blue screens when I open the laptop lid, the computer resumes from sleep mode and it is running on battery. (this might be unrelated.)
      5. One time, I accidentally clicked on MM in the taskbar TWICE (like a double click) and I got a blue screen. (this may be a coincident)
      6. Another time, I opened MM and it froze the computer as soon as it opened. (it looks like it happens at random times..)
    Things I have tried to solve the problem:
    Failed Solution 1:
    I've upgraded to MM4.1 in the hope this would solve the problem. It doesn't. In fact, I reverted back to 4.0.7 because I get a ridiculous amount of errors on 4.1 (access violations, script errors and the like). See screenshot below.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwSfwq ... sp=sharing
    The errors pop up as soon as a song is selected, a different playlist is selected...... they pop up ALL THE TIME, making using MM impossible.
    UPDATE: Failed Solution 1:
    I uninstalled MM4.0.7 and installed MM4.1 but in a different directory. (Default directory is MediaMonkey, I changed it to MediaMonkey 4.1)
    The major difference this time around is that I installed it in a seperate directory (not on top of the files the previous installation left after uninstalling it).
    I don't get the ridiculous amounts of errors anymore. However, after about 5minutes of playing music, the sound got stuck at times and the computer froze.
    It sounded like a sine wave except much more dirty and electronic. (sound driver problem?)
    Then it played about 6 seconds of song on repeat, then the sincewave thing again.
    I couldn't switch back to MM (i was browsing in Firefox). The only thing I could do was to force a shutdown.
    Failed Solution 2:
    I've tried re-installing MM 4.0.7 multiple times (keeping library settings though. So after each install, my library was 100% accessible and usable.)
    Failed Solution 3:
    Yes, I have tried restarting the computer. I even went into safe mode but I can't access the Data partition (where i keep my music). MM opens fine but I can't listen to music to test whether the error occurs in safe mode.
    Failed Solution 4:
    I searched for a new sound card driver, but Windows claims I am using the most recent version.
    Failed Attempt 5
    I deleted the scripts and extensions folder in "C:/User/<username>/AppData/Roaming/MediaMonkey" and in "C:/Program Files/MediaMonkey 4.1.etc".
    I installed the debug version and run MM without skinning.
    I got a blue screen error. Problem not fixed.
    Failed Solution 6
    I formatted all my partitions and completely reinstalled windows 7. I upgraded to 64-bit. I still get Blue screens of death (BSOD's).
    Failed Solution 7
    I moved all my music back to Windows C:/ drive. The BSOD still come up. I have no idea what changed because MM used to work fine! (This is beyond frustrating at this stage...)
    Other Things I found out
    • 1. I found this solution (it costs money), which claims to fix all windows/computer errors such as blue screens, freezing and the like. The website claims that the problems I am having (Access violations) are fatal operating system errors and should be fixed as soon as possible. (Keep in mind they're trying to sell something.)
      This problem ONLY occurs when I run MM. My system is stable and reliable when I don't run MM.
      http://www.0xc0000135.com/access-violat ... ation.html (Solution 1 on the linked website)
      I am careful with this because this might just be a load of bull. I have not tried it yet because I don't want to spend money at this point (not until I am absolutely certain I've tried everything else)
      Besides, ReImage might not fix Media Monkey at all. (The problem is specific to MM). That would mean $45 down the drain.
      2. While playing music on Spotify, I opened MM and MM caused the music to keep repeating short sections. It looks like MM interferes the sound card or the sound card driver.
      (driver is up-to-date according to Windows).
If you find any posts I should read, send me the link and I'll have a look at them (and read them if I havent already.) I will then include the link here and describe why the solution didn't work/didn't apply to me.
I really want to get MM working again. After getting used to it's advanced features and slowly building my own database with start/end times, tags and so on, I really don't want to switch to any other music player.

I will add to this list as I remember more things I tried and more relevant information.
Last edited by danobot on Sat May 17, 2014 9:50 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Lowlander

Re: Blue Screen Caused by MM. Access Violations.

Post by Lowlander »

You're running an old version of MediaMonkey. The current release is 4.1.1.1703. Also see: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... ticleid=33

When experiencing Access Violations/crashes/BSD you should capture it in a debug log (step 4b) and send the log to support: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69 (Note set DBGView to log to file in case of PC crash).
danobot

Post by danobot »

Lowlander wrote:You're running an old version of MediaMonkey. The current release is 4.1.1.1703. Also see: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... ticleid=33

When experiencing Access Violations/crashes/BSD you should capture it in a debug log (step 4b) and send the log to support: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69 (Note set DBGView to log to file in case of PC crash).
Yes, I've read that link before. None of those points apply to me.

As I said, I reverted back to an outdated version because the latest version doesn't run at all. (script errors)
I will install the latest version again and see if I still get the blue screen errors.
If the blue screen errors are gone, I will keep the latest version and try to fix the Access violation errors.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

A blue screen error is almost always due to faulty hardware, like a bad RAM stick, not software.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
danobot

Post by danobot »

Okay, I've upgraded to MM 4.1. The major difference this time around is that I installed it in a seperate directory (not on top of the files the previous installation left after uninstalling it).
I don't get the ridiculous amoiunts of errors anymore. However, after about 5minutes of playing music, the sound got stuck at times and the computer froze.
It sounded like a sine wave except much more dirty and electronic.
Then it played about 6 seconds of song on repeat, then the sincewave thing again.

I couldn't switch back to MM (i was browsing in Firefox). The only choice was to force a shutdown.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Please open support ticket so that we can make better indeep debugs.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
danobot

Post by danobot »

How can i open a support ticket?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »