If I delete a song on my device

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

vert

If I delete a song on my device

Post by vert »

Hi,
If I delete a song on my device using MMA and then sync, the song is downloaded from my computer to my device again.
If I delete a song on my computer using MMW and then sync, nothing changes on my device, i.e. the deleted song from my computer remains on my device.
I expected that deleting a song from my device will result in deleting it from my computer after sync and vice versa. Was I wrong?
Lowlander

Re: If I delete a song on my device

Post by Lowlander »

1) Noooooooo!! Deleting a file from device shouldn't (and luckily doesn't) delete files from PC.
2) This depends on your settings. As you removed the file from MMW it no longer is part of the Library, thus you need to set the delete option in the Device Profile in MMW to remove all media files, not just Library files.
vert

Post by vert »

Lowlander wrote:1) Noooooooo!! Deleting a file from device shouldn't (and luckily doesn't) delete files from PC.
2) This depends on your settings. As you removed the file from MMW it no longer is part of the Library, thus you need to set the delete option in the Device Profile in MMW to remove all media files, not just Library files.
1) Got it! Thanks a lot.
2) I deleted a song from MMW library whose artist is synchronized with my device. The box for "Delete unselected content copies" is checked in MMA, for "Delete all unselected content" - not. After the Wifi sync the song still remains on my devise. I guess I do not properly understand the program's behaviour with these two boxes checked/unchecked.
To be more clear let me explain my goal: listening to music in MMA is give 1 star to songs that I don't like, then sync with MMW, after the songs in MMW library get their 1 star I delete them from MMW, sync again and excpect them to be removed from MMA. This is the way I've elaborated to refine my library on the go :)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

2) As said, in the Device Profile in MMW you'll need to set it to delete all media files.
vert

Post by vert »

Lowlander wrote:2) As said, in the Device Profile in MMW you'll need to set it to delete all media files.
Thank you, it has worked!
Anyway it would be great to add a checkbox option to automatically delete songs from MMW, if they are deleted from MMA.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I would say that even if that's desirable (for some users) that it is extremely risky (and yes a confirmation should be shown). If anything goes wrong on the device and tracks are removed or not matched with tracks in the MMW Library you'd have file loss. For most with MMW being the master Library auto-deletion would be risky (as users will get complacent with the confirmation).

Now, I don't mind that the option is made available, but I couldn't advice anyone using it. Your better off using rating (like 1 star) for tracks that need to be removed and manage file removal manually in the MMW Library (even though that is more work).
vert

Post by vert »

Lowlander, thanks a lot. Your comments were very helpful for me.
jjfnk

Post by jjfnk »

vert wrote:
Lowlander wrote:1) Noooooooo!! Deleting a file from device shouldn't (and luckily doesn't) delete files from PC.
1) Got it! Thanks a lot.
2) I deleted a song from MMW library whose artist is synchronized with my device. The box for "Delete unselected content copies" is checked in MMA, for "Delete all unselected content" - not. After the Wifi sync the song still remains on my devise. I guess I do not properly understand the program's behaviour with these two boxes checked/unchecked.
To be more clear let me explain my goal: listening to music in MMA is give 1 star to songs that I don't like, then sync with MMW, after the songs in MMW library get their 1 star I delete them from MMW, sync again and excpect them to be removed from MMA. This is the way I've elaborated to refine my library on the go :)

Where is "Delete unselected content copies" located on MMW?

Thanks.

JJF
JJF

Windows 10 PC
MMW = 4.1.31.1919
AMD Ryzen 5600X, 3701 Mhz
16 GB ram
500 GB m.2 SSD
500 GB SSD

Samsung Galaxy S10
MMA = 1.4.3.0950
MediaMonkey Pro
128 GB Internal Storage
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

In the Device Profile (Tools > Options > Portable Device Sync) on the Auto-Sync (--> Device) tab you can set what should be deleted on sync.
eruben

Post by eruben »

Is there an option to delete file in library when it's deleted on device (opposite is ok)? How can I configure it?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

No, and I doubt it will as it is a very dangerous option that could easily result in unwanted file loss.
jakemb21

Post by jakemb21 »

I usually sync all my music with my "Phone" playlist. Is there a way to remove the track from the "Phone" playlist if I remove a track from my device? I definitely don't want to delete the file from my computer but it would be great to remove it from the sync'd playlist so it doesn't get re-added as soon as I resync my playlist. I tend to add music by albums or artists and like to delete the files that I don't want as I come across them on my device while listening.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I don't know if removing the file from phone does this. I presume that if you remove it from the Playlist and allow metadata/playlist sync back that it would do so.
iloveaiff

Post by iloveaiff »

Agree completely... I just removed a stack of files from my Samsung S8 after installing an external card and removing the files from internal storage... I panicked and searched and found this thread and I agree... Sync should be firmly one way TO the device with only metadata going back..

As for the star sorting, I fully automate that with auto playlists.

I have two sets of playlists for each category, non rated, and 3+ stars... So when I rate something two or less stars, it is automatically removed from my device next sync and I just do a garbage collection on the PC from time to time.