more weirdness

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

rovingcowboy

Re: more weirdness

Post by rovingcowboy »

paradive wrote: well, the backup script is still hanging...

so what's the easiest way to backup my custom playlists?
if anything else, should i just copy/paste the mm.db file every month?
where is it?
its a hidden file just search for the mm.db file and tell windows search to look in the hidden files also.

that is what i did for a long time was just back up the mm.db file but i use the karens replicator now and just back up the whole c drive to the usb hard drive i have. makes it even eaiser that way and i know i got them backed up too. plus it is easier to use if i have to change hard drives i just install mm and then copy the backed up folder and folder the mm.db file is in then all is normal again. :D
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
paradive

Post by paradive »

rovingcowboy wrote:
paradive wrote: well, the backup script is still hanging...

so what's the easiest way to backup my custom playlists?
if anything else, should i just copy/paste the mm.db file every month?
where is it?
its a hidden file just search for the mm.db file and tell windows search to look in the hidden files also.

that is what i did for a long time was just back up the mm.db file but i use the karens replicator now and just back up the whole c drive to the usb hard drive i have. makes it even eaiser that way and i know i got them backed up too. plus it is easier to use if i have to change hard drives i just install mm and then copy the backed up folder and folder the mm.db file is in then all is normal again. :D
hmmmmmmmmmmm

so for simplicity's sake, should i just regularly backup whatever folder mm.db is in?
Monkey hi fi

Post by Monkey hi fi »

If'in you want to.
rovingcowboy/keith hall/monkey hi fi
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I use Karen's Replicator to backup the database folder (I use a custom folder).
paradive

Post by paradive »

Lowlander wrote:I use Karen's Replicator to backup the database folder (I use a custom folder).
and what's the link to that?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

paradive wrote:
Lowlander wrote:I use Karen's Replicator to backup the database folder (I use a custom folder).
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Karen%27s+Replicator
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
paradive

Post by paradive »

nohitter151 wrote:
paradive wrote:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Karen%27s+Replicator
hmmmmmm
seems it'd be just as easy to copy/paste the mm.db file to my monthly backup.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

That's essentially what I've been talking about all along, Willis :wink:
(that's a "Diff'rent Strokes" reference).
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

paradive wrote:
hmmmmmm
Or, like I previously posted, just install MM as portable to your music folder. Then it will backup with your music without any extra effort.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Yes, Nohitter!!! That is "close" to what I do. Portable, then I just manually copy over the whole MM folder to backup and date it.
.....so I can easily backtrack to any endpoint I want in case of an emergency.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
😜
paradive

Post by paradive »

nohitter151 wrote:
paradive wrote:
hmmmmmm
Or, like I previously posted, just install MM as portable to your music folder. Then it will backup with your music without any extra effort.
considered this.
what does a "portable" install mean precisely?
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

They are primarily promoted for using programs on detachable media like USB flash drives, etc.
so you can run them without having to "install" (a true install) them to your OS and can take them around anywhere and use on most computers.

Many people use them on their desktop as a way of keeping their OS/registry clean, ability to copy it off and run it elsewhere, for less system conflict,
ease in backup manipulation, etc.

You just install latest MM and look for portable mode to check, then install where you want.

The difference when upgrading is you can just download/install latest to system, then delete new ".DB file", and also.ini file (if you want),
and insert (recopy) your backedup ones into same location. You can just find the periodically backedup files whenever you need to update.

Be careful to note: insert the new .DB and .ini files "BEFORE" you actually launch a new version. This will allow proper updating of the old .DB structure/problems
from the new version.

In your case now, you would be getting your MM.DB file from your current MM. But in the future, you would also have option of using the
last monthly backup file if something were to happen.
Last edited by MMFrLife on Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
😜
paradive

Post by paradive »

MMFrLife wrote:They are primarily promoted for using programs on detachable media like USB flash drives, etc.
so you can run them without having to "install" (a true install) them to your OS and can take them around anywhere and use on most computers.

Many people use them on their desktop as a way of keeping their OS/registry clean, ability to copy it off and run it elsewhere, for less system conflict,
ease in backup manipulation, etc.

You just install latest MM and look for portable mode to check, then install where you want.

The difference when upgrading is you can just download/install latest to system, then delete new ".DB file" and .ini file (if you want)
and insert (recopy) your backedup ones into same location. You can just find the periodically backedup files whenever you need to update.

Be careful to note: insert the new .DB and .ini files "BEFORE" you actually launch a new version. This will allow proper updating of the old .DB structure/problems
from the new version.

In your case now, you would be getting your MM.DB file from your current MM. But in the future, you can use the last monthly backup file if something were to happen.
ok. so........
i'll be fresh-installing MM to a new laptop in a few weeks.

1. do a portable install (but, it not mucking up the registry, can it still be set to "auto-play" and whatnot?)
2. what ".ini" file?
3. back it and mm.db whenever upgrading then put them back afterwards.

that about it?

i'll try a normal fresh install first and see how everything works; if i still have problems, i'll go portable.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

1. I think so, but I don't typically use it for CDs. You might want someone else to jump in on that.

2. MediaMonkey.ini file in same location as MM.DB. It contains some program settings.
The single most important thing is the MM.DB .

3. Just follow instructions, especially about "BE CAREFUL NOTE"

If you do a fresh test install of portable now, you can't just copy that one over to a new computer.

My advice, since you just recently started with MM, is to do a test just to play around to see how it works.
Then wait a month or so 'til you get a new system and just start everything new again. In other words: new install, fresh scan of library, fresh settings, etc.

......otherwise you are gonna have to do this http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... w_computer
- the stuff on "point to a new database"

...and since you've been frustrated and struggling with it all a lot lately, I believe you would save yourself a lot of stress.
😜