Similar Artists 2.2 - Updated 26/10/2013

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

trixmoto

Re: Similar Artists 2.1 - Updated 28/12/2012

Post by trixmoto »

There is a debug mode in this script, but it doesn't really cover the area that appears to be failing for you. Either the request to LastFm is not firing off properly, or it is not returning properly, but it is somewhere in this communication that things are going wrong. If you know VBScript then you could add some messages in yourself, otherwise you'll have to wait until I get round to it.
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
trixmoto

Re: Similar Artists 2.2 - Updated 26/10/2013

Post by trixmoto »

New version (2.2) of this script is now available to download from my website. Changes include...

- Added option to reset script if it has stopped processing
- Added additional debug messaging
- Fixed buttons appearing when they shouldn't be
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
dnats

Post by dnats »

After update, this script made MM run in excess of 50% CPU. Don't really know why.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

I've not made any changes that should effect the amount of memory or CPU that is utilised, and I can't replicate the issue here. Can you please try creating a debug logfile?
Blasman

Post by Blasman »

Thanks for this amazing addon. I've been using it ever since last.fm changed their music player almost a year ago as it's been the closest thing to using their old "artist radio" option.

I would like to request a feature in the options to exclude adding files from a certain location of the mediamonkey library, or something along those lines.

Why would I want this option? I just started using rockbox on my old ipod. On my local computer and mediamonkey library, I have a FLAC folder and an MP3 folder. I only sync the MP3 folder to my ipod, I do not want FLAC files on the device. I would like to sync playlists as well. However, the playlists created from this addon also look into my FLAC folder and therefor would also add the FLAC files to my ipod, which I do not want. Also, everything that I have as a FLAC file in my FLAC folder I also have an mp3 copy of in my MP3 folder, so this makes the similar artists playlists less useful on my local computer as well as it will be adding duplicates and also playing mp3 versions of tracks when it could be playing a higher quality FLAC.

I think that one option would be to untick FLAC as a format supported by my ipod device, but then I assume that it would just "skip" the FLAC files in the playlists, and therefor the playlists would end up becomming "uneven" with some artists having many more tracks in the playlist than others, etc.

Anyways, thanks again for this great addon and I hope that there is a way to implement my request.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Great, I'm glad you've found this script useful.

I've added your suggestion to my list, so I'll try and include it in the next version.
Enteroctopus

Post by Enteroctopus »

Loving the script, but would like a little more dynamic musical adventure. Is there a way to set the settings for that type of experience?

Experimented with Sonic Youth, got Radiohead, Beck, Flaming Lips and The Cure. Good playlist, but I grew bored of it because it was all too similar. I could see Nick Cave coming in from the Cure, maybe some Mudhoney, Wilco. I'll run a few of these artists and just go in manually and copy-paste a more diverse list together.

Also, I got several songs of the same band, like, five The Cure songs in a row, for example.

One suggestion I might make is to have some secondary seeding capability, like some doomy metal might work with the aforementioned bands, especially The Cure as they are pretty dark. Some Acid Bath I'm thinking, or even Black Sabbath. Make it, like, 10-15% doomy heavy metal with the Sonic Youth and Cure? Would be cool to set multiple seeds with percentages.

I like to catch my guests off guard like that. :wink:
quintz

Post by quintz »

Awesome script so far! Thanks so much for it.

I've encountered an error the last days though.

I'm running a Media PC in my living room, running with Kodi and KodiLauncher (Kodi boots as shell, not explorer.exe)

MediaMonkey will be autostarted on boot.
Sometimes when I choose to play a new song, this script prompts me the error "Progress Bar lost!" and crashes MM.

Has anyone else encountered this error?