Backing up music onto external harddrive

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

anonymust

Backing up music onto external harddrive

Post by anonymust »

Are their any built in backup features/scripts of MediaMonkey?

I want to start backing up my music (locally on my desktop) to my external hard-drive... but every now and then I change the ratings of songs along with tags... and sometimes even delete a folder with crap music a friend gave me.

I would like to have an exact copy of my local music library on my external hard-drive.. with out having to "Copy and Replace" items which always takes time when you have 40GB+ of music

Or any have any great recommendations for a Mirroring software that ONLY backups the difference.. and delete what doesn't exist locally any more?
"MediaMonkey is the shizzle my nizzle" - Snoop Dogg
wxdude

Re: Backing up music onto external harddrive

Post by wxdude »

I just use the Robocopy command from the command line in Win7. It is simple and does exactly what you want. Of course the first copy will take a long time.

ROBOCOPY sourcepath destinationpath /MIR

ROBOCOPY /? for all of the options.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey (nor any existing Addon) can do this. However this is where backup software shines (I use Karen's Replicator).
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

Karen's Replicator is a good app (most of her stuff is really nice). Other ones I have use successfully are WinMerge and TeraCopy.
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

I'm planning to add this into my "Backup" script, but I've never found the time.
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
monkey hi fi

Post by monkey hi fi »

teracopy used with karens replicator is really fast
Exeter Music Man

Post by Exeter Music Man »

I use a program called FolderMatch (www.foldermatch.com) this scans both my media folder and my backup folder and performs comparisons using a choice of different methods.

I have it set to compare files by size/date & time and then copy the newer files across.
_Chris_

Post by _Chris_ »

monkey hi fi wrote:teracopy used with karens replicator is really fast
Hi monkey hi fi, how do you use those both together please? Also, if backing up MMG like that, isn't there a problems then with drive paths/greyed tracks etc?
jgt1942

Post by jgt1942 »

I use SyncBackPro (see http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/s ... oC0kXw_wcB) and have used it for years to perform all of my data backups. For my music backup I use it to mirror the library (currently 450GB) to my internal RAID 5 array (11TB) which is for all of my level 1 backups. SyncbackPro has numerous other backup options. Syncback is scheduled nightly on all of my systems to perform various backups and synchronization task.
popsmike

Post by popsmike »

jgt1942 wrote:I use SyncBackPro (see http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/s ... oC0kXw_wcB) and have used it for years to perform all of my data backups. For my music backup I use it to mirror the library (currently 450GB) to my internal RAID 5 array (11TB) which is for all of my level 1 backups. SyncbackPro has numerous other backup options. Syncback is scheduled nightly on all of my systems to perform various backups and synchronization task.
Hey,
Im setting up a NAS Raid system and was looking at SyncBackPro myself. Do you know of any issues using it in the manner i'm setting up?

Cheers.
Mike
Windows 10 Pro x64 2TB USB3 External Hdd with Quad Core 3600Mhz CPU and 10GB Ram
MM 4.1.21.1871 Portable on External Hdd
TESTING MM 5.0.0.2113
Numerous Addons
User Since 2006 (Lifetime License) since 2012