Playback hangs and loops

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

Christoph

Playback hangs and loops

Post by Christoph »

Quite frequently I'm experiencing an issue where the player suddenly seems to hang and loops the same sound every approx. 5 seconds. The UI still responds but I can't pause the playback. Instead I have to switch to the next or previous track to get it working again.
It happens mostly when a song ended and the next starts. Then the first seconds will be played and suddenly the playback hangs and repeats these seconds over and over again.

This problem occurred in many many versions and still exists 4.1.8.1744.

I've recorded a debug log which shows that then no more data is written to the sound buffer. So these messages are missing when the problem comes up:

Code: Select all

00006082	1128.41589355	[6640] MMDS: Written 101632 bytes
However these messages still get recorded every few seconds:

Code: Select all

00006400	1144.51782227	[6640] MMDS: ***Playback pointer crossed buffer end***	
00006401	1156.49853516	[6640] MMDS: ***Playback pointer crossed buffer end***
Can I send you the whole log (580kb) via email? Or upload it and send you the link via email or pm?

I'm using Win 7 Home Premium SP 1. My sound card is a Asus Xonar D1 with driver version 7.12.8.1794. However I'm not having audio issues in other programs.
Lowlander

Re: Playback hangs and loops

Post by Lowlander »

nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Does it happen when you are rating or somehow tagging the same track as it's in its last few moments of playback? It's been an issue in MM for quite a long time
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Christoph

Post by Christoph »

nohitter151 wrote:Does it happen when you are rating or somehow tagging the same track as it's in its last few moments of playback? It's been an issue in MM for quite a long time
No, I'm not doing anything however MM performs some tasks when ending a song.
Thanks for the link. I've changed some settings and try to find out whether the problem persists:

- Disabled volume leveling
- Disabled fading
- Enabled hardware acceleration
- Explicitly selected my sound card
Lowlander wrote:Add logs to a support ticket: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... ets/Submit
I hoped I could send the log somehow without creating an account in the support section.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Christoph wrote:
I hoped I could send the log somehow without creating an account in the support section.
It uses the same login credentials as the forum, no need to create another account
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
JamesM

Post by JamesM »

I've experienced this many times in the past, always when modifying the ID3 tags (setting the rating) or changing Artist names. I've sort of come to accept there will be some problems but I've just updated to 4.1.21.1873 (current version) and the issues I experience have taken on a more predictable frequency..."almost every time" you change something.

This may need to be looked at as it makes MMW (on windows 10) almost unusable for library editing.

If it's any help I'd previously come to the conclusion that this issue occurred when some other process tried to access the tags (cover art or lyric downloads) at the same time so this may be an area to look at first.
Also my settings have not changed since I upgraded so, if this part of the code has changed, it may be worth reviewing these updates
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi,
I cannot replicate.

Aren't the files FLAC? There was a FLAC tagging regression introduced in 1873, please upgrade to 1875 for sure.

Are the tracks located on local HDD or a network location?
Is it specific only to some tracks or it appears randomly on any track?
Could you submit debug log (item 4b here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=341 ) to eSupport : http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... ets/Submit or attach a link to the log here?
JamesM

Post by JamesM »

Ludek wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:23 pm Aren't the files FLAC? There was a FLAC tagging regression introduced in 1873, please upgrade to 1875 for sure.
I converted any flac files I had, wma too, ages ago. they seemed to cause problems when streaming to my amp so they had to go.
I pretty much just have mp3's now
Ludek wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:23 pm Are the tracks located on local HDD or a network location?
everythings stored locally on an SSD
...but you may already know this as I responded to your other post (it's the same machine)
Ludek wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:23 pm Is it specific only to some tracks or it appears randomly on any track?
Seemingly random. If there's a pattern I don't know what it is. All I can tell you is the previous time I did a job lot of tag editing it "seemed to be when the track started out with no lyrics and then, suddenly, had lyrics"...just at the time when I changed start rating

Ludek wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:23 pm Could you submit debug log (item 4b here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=341 ) to eSupport : http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... ets/Submit or attach a link to the log here?
will send a log file next time it happens (but I've done all my updating for this week and Im travelling for work shortly).
I will upgrade just before testing.
links to the debug builds have been saved so I will get the relevant version at the same time