Backup 6.0 - Updated 01/07/2014

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

dtsig

Re: Backup 6.0 - Updated 01/07/2014

Post by dtsig »

In your backup directory there should be a 'restore.vbs'. You should be able to d-click this file and it in turn should install.
Is this not happening for you?
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
Hdhntr23

Post by Hdhntr23 »

I didnt even know where to begin!

I'll try it and report back.

Thanks a ton!
DakuTree

Post by DakuTree »

A bit of warning to those using the "delete old backups" portion of this script.
If you ever run this script somewhere other than your main backup folder (even by accident), you may want remove the row containing that location from the DB.
The script deletes "everything" from the old backup locations, regardless if it's an MM backup or not.
So for example, if you ran it on the root of an HD at some point...well, you're in for a bad time. Learned that the hard way :|
gpzbc

Post by gpzbc »

Thanks for the tip!
--
The gpzbc
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

Wow ... That should be corrected
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

DTSig
dypsis

Post by dypsis »

DakuTree wrote:A bit of warning to those using the "delete old backups" portion of this script.
If you ever run this script somewhere other than your main backup folder (even by accident), you may want remove the row containing that location from the DB.
The script deletes "everything" from the old backup locations, regardless if it's an MM backup or not.
So for example, if you ran it on the root of an HD at some point...well, you're in for a bad time. Learned that the hard way :|
I have never had that happen to me.
Or do you mean that you didn't put your backup in a folder?
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

That's exactly what it does, and that's exactly why it outputs a confirmation message asking you if you're sure, which a count of how much would be deleted! It has to do a clean up, otherwise when you delete scripts and stuff, they wouldn't be deleted from the backup.
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
terrypin

Post by terrypin »

I've just installed Backup 6.0. When I close MM I consistently get an error message. I've shown it below, together with the contents of my four Scripts folders.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/401 ... -BU6-3.jpg

Presumably I should get a pop-up telling me the backup was successful?

I assume that no backup has been made, but where should I look for it?
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
MM 5.0.2.2532 (Gold), i7 4.0 GHz running Win 10 Pro
MM 4.1.31.1919 (Gold)
terrypin

Post by terrypin »

DakuTree wrote:A bit of warning to those using the "delete old backups" portion of this script.
Ah, I reckon that must be what happened to cause my catastrophe! Although in my case, it was at least partly my own fault as I was apparently using an old backup, 3.8, from MM v3. Took me two days before I realised it was MM's backup that was losing my 300 GB. See this thread if you want more details:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 35#p408435

I've got past that but have just posted about the remaining error message, which is how I came to read your warning.
MM 4.1.31.1919 (Gold)
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

terrypin wrote:I've just installed Backup 6.0. When I close MM I consistently get an error message. I've shown it below, together with the contents of my four Scripts folders.

Did you look in the folder you specified in the options?
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

DTSig
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Check out my last post in the other thread.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
terrypin

Post by terrypin »

dtsig wrote:
terrypin wrote:I've just installed Backup 6.0. When I close MM I consistently get an error message. I've shown it below, together with the contents of my four Scripts folders.

Did you look in the folder you specified in the options?
I didn't see any options during installation and couldn't find them in MM.

Any ideas about the error message?
MM 4.1.31.1919 (Gold)
terrypin

Post by terrypin »

MMFrLife wrote:Check out my last post in the other thread.
Not sure I follow. Both references to the MM backup script were meant to be identical. It was v 3.8.

What little folder do you mean?
MM 4.1.31.1919 (Gold)
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

terrypin wrote:Not sure I follow. Both references to the MM backup script were meant to be identical. It was v 3.8.
When you first mentioned the script and then said MM's script it threw me. I got it now, as that's what I figured you meant. I just wanted to make
sure I was on the same page.
terrypin wrote:What little folder do you mean?
Forget the term "little" folder, I was thinking of something else (a little distracted) when I first wrote that (sorry :-? ). This is what I meant to say:
From what DakuTree was warning against, that you referenced above, did you ever run the script from an old backup folder, no right? It just seemed to back stuff up on it's own, not use the delete old backups feature. Nothing went missing in any MM script or backup folders, right? The things that kept disappearing were mostly in other locations, (like documents, etc.), right? So, in conclusion, I just figured that the script (old version) had something to do with the original problem, but not the specific thing that DakuTree is talking about.

Anyway, the question is what to do now? I'll let you know if I think of something else.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
terrypin

Post by terrypin »

MMFrLife: Understood, no problems. I'm pretty relaxed now that I don't have another day of massive data recovery ahead!

I'm hoping the script's author, trixmoto, will come along and help me to isolate the cause, with future prevention in mind. Despite the fact that it was almost certainly because I'd placed one or more MM scripts in the wrong location (probably one of those three for Backup 3.8 or earlier), IMO no MM script should allow indiscriminate deletions, and certainly not on the root of the OS drive. As you'll recall from my earlier posts, I had no warnings and it was many hours later that I discovered the loss in C: and C:\Docs (alias for My Documents).

trixmoto: I'm no programmer or scripter but I'll happily help any forensic work under your direction.

I've stared at Backup.vbs, ABackup.vbs and ABackup2.vbs in my text editor looking for clues in vain. Note that all my old version scripts have now been deleted or copied to a folder I used while trying to sort out all the old and new VBS files (all with same names), K:\Copy of all MM Scripts.

Anyone: Where do I find the options dialog for Backup 6 please? I see nothing under Options or Extensions. I still don't know what output folder it's using, so that I can check if I have any backups. Also, how long should a backup of 7800 tracks take? I've just closed MM (to check that the error message still appears), but after 5 mins the HD activity (but low CPU resource) has still not finished.

10 mins now!What can it be doing? I'm nervous now, so I've used Task Mgr to end the WSC process. Files still intact.
MM 4.1.31.1919 (Gold)