iPhone crashes during large sync with build 4.1.8.1745

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

msherman

Re: iPhone crashes during large sync with build 4.1.8.1745

Post by msherman »

Definitely not a hardware problem. iTunes transferred 1391 songs without problems, which is more than I've been able to transfer using MM since upgrading to OS8.3 even in small batches.

Any updates on your end?
msherman

Post by msherman »

Any updates from the MM team? Is this being investigated? Is there anything I can do to assist?
Peke

Post by Peke »

We are working on teh issue and will get back any day now.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
msherman

Post by msherman »

Thanks for the update.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi,
sorry for the lack of feedback, I have been on vacation last week.

I analyzed the last crash (after 853 songs) and I saw in the log that _again_ after ~8000 seconds (again 2 hours and 12 minutes) of syncing your iPhone was unexpectedly disconnected (or rebooted). It seems that it does not like long sync times, as explained the slow sync is caused by the slow FLAC -> M4A conversion.

I guess that if you sync the same 1391 M4A songs (as with iTunes), i.e. with no conversion involved then the sync is fast and successful (same as with iTunes), right?

Don't know why there is the phone reboot after 2 hours and 12 minutes, seems to be really something new to iOS 8.3
msherman

Post by msherman »

NP, hope you enjoyed the vacation. :)

Nope, that doesn't explain it. As I mentioned in this topic, after my last upload I was able to replicate the same problem with small batch syncs, which were much shorter than 2 hours each batch. Unfortunately, I wasn't running DbgView at the time, and as I mentioned above, the MM crash reporter itself crashed while it was trying to upload the AV log to you.

Unfortunately, I'm taking the subway to work with my new job, so I really need to have my music available on my phone, and I'd prefer not to wipe it again to collect more logs for you. Have you attempted to replicate this problem with your in-house QA? Given how replicable it's been for me, and the effort I've gone to to rule out a hardware issue, I'd be surprised if you can't replicate in house.
Last edited by msherman on Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
msherman

Post by msherman »

Out of curiousity, what was it doing when it crashed this time? You mentioned that the first two crashes both occurred while checking for free space, and your modified DLL removed that check. What was it doing this time?
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

msherman wrote:Out of curiousity, what was it doing when it crashed this time? You mentioned that the first two crashes both occurred while checking for free space, and your modified DLL removed that check. What was it doing this time?
I mentioned that the unexpected disconnection occured while checking the free space, but it seems to be unrelated based on your log, the AV was consequence of the unexpected disconnection (fixed as http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=12751 in the upcoming build)
msherman

Post by msherman »

Hi Ludek. Can you please let me know if your QA team has been able to replicate this? If they've tried and failed, with the same scenario (>1000 FLACs being autoconverted to M4A/AAC during the sync to an iphone 6 running ios8.3), that's important information because it means that I need to collect more details for you if I want to see a fix.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi, I tried to replicate this last night, but haven't been successful (iTouch 5 + iOS 8.3)

I again compared and analyzed your 2 logs that you attached to the ticket #BJS-458-67430
but I haven't found a pattern in the logs, the only common thing in the two logs is that iPhone suddenly disconnected after ~8000 seconds of syncing, but different files were synced at that point and nothing unusual happened at that point.
Have you already tried to sync the 1391 pre-converted M4A files using MM to see whether the sync timing could be an issue?
Also, some users indicated that iOS 8.4 beta solved their sync issues, maybe it would worth to try also in your case?
msherman

Post by msherman »

I was able to get my hands on a second iphone 6 (my wifes, which had recently been wiped and reinstalled), and I was able to replicate the problem today. I tried to transfer >4000 FLACs autoconverted to m4a/aac, and the iphone rebooted after transferring only ~450 songs.

I tried to upload the zipped log file to the ticket on your support system, but the upload is failing -- it takes a few minutes then fails with an error message that required fields are empty (but I had filled them all in before hitting submit). Is there another way I can send you the zipped log file?

I'm assuming that this is the log message that indicates when the iphone rebooted?

01839092 29454.06835938 [3864] iPhone disconnected

As you can see, it happened 29454s after MM launched, much later than the 8000s you had seen in the previous log, so the 8000s does not appear to be a repeatable pattern.

It's very interesting that this attempt ran for so much longer, but managed to successfully transfer fewer songs.

I guess the next thing I try will be to use MM to transfer the preconverted M4A files, with autoconvert taken out of the mix. I'll let you know how it goes.
msherman

Post by msherman »

I switched to the latest build last night, to get the fix for the AVs, and something's very wrong with it.

I tried transferring my full collection of 4663 preconverted M4As last night to the second iphone, to see if we could isolate the problem to being caused by autoconversion.

Good news: the iphone did not crash over night.

Bad news: despite running over night, only about 220 songs were transferred. Before I turned in last night, I'd already observed that the transfer was going very choppy -- it would transfer about 24 songs fairly fast, and then hang for a _long_ time on the next song, while the dbgview log was spitting out a loop of "Waiting for grappa data" messages.

When I tried to terminate the transfer, it wouldn't terminate. I had to kill MM and reboot the machine and the phone.

I managed to get the log for this transfer uploaded to the support ticket, but the log from the 17th still won't upload.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi, replied directly to you with further instructions via the ticket #BJS-458-67430
Outlandis

Post by Outlandis »

Big step backwards with 1748

Previously, I was able to sync most of my 6000+ songs without issue if I did not experience the spontaneous disconnect of my device.
With this build, I can sync about 200 songs before the sync goes from a good pace to 1 song every minute or 2.

Another issue I am noticing is that MM is not deleting songs off of the iOS device when it claims it is.

I use the generic term "device" because I'm using a iPad Air, iPhone 6 and iPod touch 5th gen. with almost identical sync issues.

Thanks for the hard work guys.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Outlandis wrote:Big step backwards with 1748
I use the generic term "device" because I'm using a iPad Air, iPhone 6 and iPod touch 5th gen. with almost identical sync issues.
Thanks for the hard work guys.
Damn, are you sure it is related to build 1748 ??
Could you please test again with build 1747 to confirm this?
Isn't it e.g. that you plugged the devices to another USB port or another event that caused the outside of MediaMonkey? e.g. iTunes reinstall?
iTunes sync works fine?
Could you generate debug log using DbgView app and share?

Yes, it is really hard work especially if we cannot reproduce the issues and need to reverse engineer the Apple's stuff :-/