Date Created Column [#6481]

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

I'd like to see the Date Created column in MediaMonkey

You may select 1 option

View results

Baldy

Date Created Column [#6481]

Post by Baldy »

I've just got media monkey set up in the hope of moving over from iTunes.

Everything seems to be a general thumbs-up apart from the fact that there seems to be no way of sorting my music by the latest stuff i have bought. :o

I found an old thread that covers the same subject, but am pretty gobsmacked to think that i will have to resort to writing scripts to achieve this.

Is this still the case? and if so, does it entail running the script every time i open media monkey?

Obviously i appreciate the flexibility of scripting in Media Monkey, but would just like to know what's needed to achieve a similar 'environment' before i jump ship. :)

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Lowlander

Re: Date Created Column

Post by Lowlander »

What you is what you get. So you might find Added useful as it's the date added to the database, but that would only be useful if MediaMonkey was used to create (rip) or scan in shortly after creation.
Lowlander

Re: Date Created Column [#6481]

Post by Lowlander »

Gixxer76

Post by Gixxer76 »

2 years and still not available, or am I missing something?
sjones

Post by sjones »

There is a field that must have the date created in it as it is used by the Automatic Playlist Recently Added. If you highlight that playlist and click on Edit Playlist (it's one of the toolbar choices or you can right-click on that playlist and choose Edit Playlist from the menu that pops up). Unless you have changed the properties of this playlist you will see that a property called Added is in the advanced criteria field (the default is set at 30 days, but you can change that by right-click edit criteria). There is also a sort order box where you can choose the sort order of this playlist, selecting both the property to be sorted on (default is Added, of course) and the direction (Z...A makes most recent first). That means, however, that the tracks are most likely to be in reverse order. You can fix that! Click on <Choose sort order> below Added, choose Track # as the property and A..Z as the order. Voila! A playlist with the newest albums first and the tracks in album order.

Now you can create your own automatic playlist (New AutoPlaylist), as well, adding whatever other criteria you want and using Added as a selection criteria (it is always available in Automatic Playlists) and a sort order.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Added doesn't necessarily equal Created.
Gixxer76

Post by Gixxer76 »

sjones thanks for the post. However your proposed solution would show files added to the database and not actually created. In my situation my hard drive failed and I had to use a backup of my audio files. Well mm now sees everything as added a couple of days ago, thus all my recently downloaded music cannot be sorted to the top by clicking the added column.
psychoadept

Post by psychoadept »

I use this add-on, which can be configured to display as many "last modified" as you want.

http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 83&start=0

It doesn't have "File Created", but depending on your collection, maybe "File Modified" would work?
Gixxer76

Post by Gixxer76 »

It doesn't do what I had hoped but it's still very useful, thanks psychoadept!
threazy

Post by threazy »

This thread/wish/requirement is over 2.5 years old now. Do we STILL not have a "date created" option for Autoplaylists??? (I'm using MM Gold 4.0.7.1551)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

No as Date Created isn't available.
Billman

Post by Billman »

Thanks for the update, Lowlander. (this is threazy.) Any idea why this suggestion has been sitting in the feature-request bin so long without action? Seems like such a small and easy addition.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

There are hundreds of small and easy suggestions sitting on the shelf. As far as I can gather this one isn't requested that often. Also easy is what suggestions often seem, but reality may not be so easy. Any field addition would require a new column in the interface as well as criteria in AutoPlaylists. It would require a new column in the underlying database as well as an update to all language packs (which relies on user contributions and thus updates are limited).
dlucky711

Sort by date file create date

Post by dlucky711 »

i would like to sort my files by create date and not just by last date modified. The original date column is never populated - not sure why. The file of the mp3s show a create date and time that do not appear in the media monkey interface. If I want to label file sequentially I want to sort by create date but am unable to. The timestamp field is sometimes useful for this but not always. I really need to use the file create date.
JimPa

Autoplaylist based on date file created

Post by JimPa »

Hello again,

Something else I'm trying to emulate from iTunes is an autoplaylist based on the actual "Date created" property of the mp3 file (i.e. the date the actual file was added to my PC).

For example, because I've imported everything into MM's library today, the 'Added' field for all tracks seems to populate with today's date. But that isn't the date which I originally added them to iTunes. If I look at the file's details in Win Explorer I can see the files still retain the original date they were added (under the 'Created' field).

I've got quite a few existing iTunes playlists that are based on this date so is there any way I can pull that info into a MM autoplaylist?
Last edited by Lowlander on Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing post