Imported Playlists Don't Find the MP3 files on new computer

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

chamuel

Imported Playlists Don't Find the MP3 files on new computer

Post by chamuel »

I have a new computer (Windows 8.1). I have "imported" my MM playlists from my previous computer (Windows 7).

The new computer now shows the MM playlists under "Imported Playlists".

I also copied all the mp3 files to the new drive. The file structure is basically the same as on the old drive (i.e. C:\JimMusicFiles\[file name])

But none of the files are found by the playlists ("empty" panel -- no files shown)

How do I get the playlists to "recognize" (find) the associated MP3 files on the new drive?

Thanks
nohitter151

Re: Imported Playlists Don't Find the MP3 files on new compu

Post by nohitter151 »

The order in which you did those things is important. Did you import the playlists before moving the actual music files? Or vice-versa?
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
chamuel

Post by chamuel »

FIRST, I copied the mp3 files from the old computer, to the new computer.

THEN, I also copied the playlist files from the old computer, to the new computer.

LAST, I ran "add/rescan files to the library" . . . at which point the playlists were detected. (But no files associated with them.)

What do you think?
terrypin

Post by terrypin »

I expect that if you view one of your new playlists in your text editor then you'll see that its structure is now incorrect for the new location of your music files.

More experienced MM users may have a quicker, easier fix. But meanwhile, if you're comfortable with using the Find/Replace feature of your editor, try editing the playlists to reflect the new file locations. The required change should become apparent by inspection. Test on one playlist and when confident apply to all of them. Backup first, of course.
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
MM 5.0.2.2532 (Gold), i7 4.0 GHz running Win 10 Pro
MM 4.1.31.1919 (Gold)
chamuel

Post by chamuel »

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I originally SAVED (so I thought) the playlists on the "old" computer by:

(a) right-clicking on the name of an existing playlist
(b) "send to"
(c) "m3u playlist"

I did NOT at that time take the trouble to "open" the "saved" playlists. I naively assumed the file would include the PATH and also the FILE NAME.

However, today I've opened those files with NOTEPAD. . . and see they ONLY contain the FILE NAME . . . and NO PATH WHATSOEVER.

This is such bullshit. Seriously NOT-user friendly aspect of MM.

What is the use of a "m3u playlist" without the PATH to the referenced files?

Makes we want to look for a DIFFERENT MEDIA PLAYER for my PC.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

chamuel wrote:Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I originally SAVED (so I thought) the playlists on the "old" computer by:

(a) right-clicking on the name of an existing playlist
(b) "send to"
(c) "m3u playlist"

I did NOT at that time take the trouble to "open" the "saved" playlists. I naively assumed the file would include the PATH and also the FILE NAME.

However, today I've opened those files with NOTEPAD. . . and see they ONLY contain the FILE NAME . . . and NO PATH WHATSOEVER.

This is such bullshit. Seriously NOT-user friendly aspect of MM.

What is the use of a "m3u playlist" without the PATH to the referenced files?

Makes we want to look for a DIFFERENT MEDIA PLAYER for my PC.
That can't possibly be right. I just did the exact same thing and the whole path is included in the exported playlist.

chamuel

Post by chamuel »

Well, it "works" for you.

That's fine.

But I get no path at all.

Not so fine!
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

chamuel wrote:Well, it "works" for you.

That's fine.

But I get no path at all.

Not so fine!
Can you upload the playlist or paste the contents of the playlist file?

MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Just tested it with 4.1.7.1739 and it worked swimmingly for me, full path in Notepad and plays/opens with ease.
What version of MM are you using?
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
๐Ÿ˜œ
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

For local files it seems a relative Path and for networked files a full Path.

The only method allow you to define how Paths are saved on the Playlist is the following Addon: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... d+playlist

Note that relative Paths will still work if you store the Playlists in the same place on the new PC as they were exported to on the old PC.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

MMFrLife wrote:Just tested it with 4.1.7.1739 and it worked swimmingly for me, full path in Notepad and plays/opens with ease.
What version of MM are you using?
Mine are local and the only thing it doesn't include is the drive letter. So, I guess technically, it's relative but near absolute (not just the filename).
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
๐Ÿ˜œ
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Ok I see if you export the playlists to the same folder where the music files are stored then it only lists the file names in the playlist file (creating relative playlists).

So it will work to use these playlists in MM but you need to place the playlist files in the folders where the music files are actually stored before you import them.

chamuel

Post by chamuel »

Thanks for all the great "education" about working with m3u files. I am learning new things from you generous souls (all of you!).

I think "nohitter"'s comments may be the most helpful at this time . . . . since I *did* save my playlists in the *same folder where the music files are stored*. (Gee -- I didn't know that was a felony crime! :) Then (as I understand it) MM creates a "relative playlist".

Also, "lolander's" suggestion about that add-on looks very interesting, especially. I will look into that and test, too.

There is certainly more about "playlist" files . . . .than meets the eye!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Actually, it exports relative Paths if you export the Playlist to the same drive as the files. If you export to a different drive it uses absolute Paths.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Lowlander wrote:Actually, it exports relative Paths if you export the Playlist to the same drive as the files. If you export to a different drive it uses absolute Paths.
Yes, that is what I get. Near full (without drive letter) to same drive and full (with drive letter) to different drive.
๐Ÿ˜œ