iPhone crashes during large sync with build 4.1.8.1745

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

Ludek

Re: iPhone crashes during large sync with build 4.1.8.1745

Post by Ludek »

Hmm, we have at least 4 users for which this solved the issue.

Another user experiencing the random iPhone reboot problem just confirmed that disabling the control center from the lock screen solved it,
but as I see this was also no avail for you?
msherman

Post by msherman »

Has the crash log from my most recent crash been investigated? As noted, it was not an iPhone crash, it was a MediaMonkey AV in iPhoneCalc.dll.

Disabling the control centre has not been effective for me.

Given that this is a Heisenberg which occurs randomly, it's possible that people are grasping at straws and when they have a single successful run, attributing that random occurrence to whatever they happened to change last.
Outlandis

Post by Outlandis »

I have tried every suggestion possible to prevent the crash and nothing works 100%.

I am certain of this based on my tests of 3 separate generations of ios devices on 8.4

the slower the processor of the device the longer it takes for the crash to appear.

ipod touch 5th gen. more than 800 songs in one sync before a crash.

ipad Air first generation 600 or so songs before a crash.

iphone 6 between 400 and 500 songs before a crash.

seems to indicate there is indeed a hardware issue and it is based somehow on the processor power of the ios device.

these results have been replicated at least 6 times with each device... I would think this is a rather large piece of the puzzle.
msherman

Post by msherman »

Hi Ludek. Any news on the iPhoneCalc.dll crash being fixed? It wasn't listed in the changelog for the build released today.
sdudley7

Post by sdudley7 »

I've had the same issue as Outlandis since the iPhone 4s. I went to using d_itunes4.dll for a few years since the issue could never be resolved. Back when I tested this I tried syncing on multiple PCS, restoring the phone in between all the same result. As of now I have an entire new PC build with 32 GB of Ram. Definitely more than enough to handle a large sync. Using the iPhone 6 Plus it still fails, no matter what. Starts off a good speed then slowly crawls to a halt. It will sync with my iPods, but any iPhone I have it does the same thing. I even simplified my playlists to basically ratings, that's all. Still crashes. Wish this could get resolved because I still use MediaMonkey I just have to struggle every sync.
sdudley7

Post by sdudley7 »

Just wanted to add one more test. I installed the new beta, restored and did the Reset All Settings fix. The Reset All Settings fix seemed to speed it up considerably. The sync completed but then when I check my device, less than 10% of the songs made it. For example one of my playlist has over 1000 songs, on the device it only shows 3.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

@msherman: I have done some optimizations in the course of fixing the issue http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=12806
So now (if any of the workarounds does not work for you and iPhone will reboot unexpectedly) the content seen by MM and by the phone should be the same and initiating auto-sync in MM should continue and complete the previously interrupted sync.

@sdudley7: I remember you, we have been solving a long ticket (FWO-922826) two years ago. Your last but one reply was "got it fixed" by setting up as a new iPhone and then restoring your backup, but 5 days later you indicated that the issue is back.
Could you attach a new debug log to the ticket? Maybe I will see there something different. BTW: Are you also seeing the unexpected reboot problem or simply an incomplete/slow sync without a reboot?
msherman

Post by msherman »

Ludek, that issue was about Outlandis' problem with songs not matching their metadata on the iPhone. I never experienced that problem, probably because I always ended up manually deleting the "phantom content" from the phone using iFunBox once it got into that state, to avoid losing the space forever.

The problem I'm asking about is the MediaMonkey AV crash in iPhoneCalc.dll that I reported a couple weeks ago. That's an AV in MM code, so it's clearly a bug that needs to be fixed on your end, not something that Apple's causing. I haven't seen any ack of that with a bug number yet. Have you investigated the crash dump I uploaded after the crash?
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

@msherman
The AV crash in iPhoneCalc.dll was most probably caused by an unexpected BPLIST data sent by the device, but to show which data it was I needed to expand debug messaging in iPhoneCalc.dll, I attached it to the ticket BJS-458-67430 with instructions, so please continue via the ticket. Thx.
msherman

Post by msherman »

I'm gonna be honest, Ludek, that's not going to happen any time soon. I've finally got my entire music collection on my phone (by using the iTunes plugin), and I'm not inclined to start this process over. Please have your QA group follow up to replicate this issue and collect the details you need to fix it.
sdudley7

Post by sdudley7 »

Thanks Ludek,

Resetting all the settings has fixed the issue, but the playlists are not accurate. It syncs all songs but only 10% of each playlist. It's strange.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi, there will be another beta later today (4.1.9.1753) that is stabilizing the individual iOS8 issues, let me know how it works, thanks!
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi, this crash shlould be fixed in the latest builds. Which version of MediaMonkey you are using?