Windows 10-> Profile keeps getting reset

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Jordar

Windows 10-> Profile keeps getting reset

Post by Jordar »

Hi. Ever since upgrading to Win 10 I have had issues with MM running the latest build (4.1.9.1764) and the last few previous. I have been using MM for quite a long time but suddenly I keep getting freezes and occasionally my MM profile gets reset back to the default one. All of my settings get cleared (default skin, library folders to scan, playback settings such as crossfade) and then I have to go in and redo everything. This has now happened 5-6 times and is very annoying. I have a ~2 month old Windows 10 clean install on my system. It seems to happen ~ every two weeks or so. In the meantime I get a ton of MM freezes and have to kill the app via taskmanager.

As I can't reliably reproduce the issue I'm not really sure how to proceed. Any ideas for troubleshooting?
mobilepundits

Re: Windows 10-> Profile keeps getting reset

Post by mobilepundits »

You can tell Windows to keep your user files and reset the operating system (a “refresh”) and installed programs to its default state, or remove everything (a “reset”).
Jordar

Post by Jordar »

I just recently did a full wipe of the OS. I had this same problem both before and after with MM.
Jordar

Post by Jordar »

Guess I'll go eat worms.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Carrgo

Post by Carrgo »

Almost same exact thing. If I play a song and then scroll through my collection MM just freezes with no errors I have to Task Manager kill it.
pitflyer

Post by pitflyer »

Ugh. Woke up this morning and launched MM to have it act like I have never used it before.

I tried the help link referenced, but I don't even have that directory path on my W10 install

C:\Documents and Settings\-YOUR USERNAME-\Local Settings\Application Data

The most similar path I could find is this:

C:\Users\-YOUR USERNAME-\AppData\Local

Besides, my registry entry is currently set to this anyhow:

C:\Users\-YOUR USERNAME-\AppData\Local

However, the odd thing is I have been running W10 for probably 4 months with no issues and the only change I made was to switch from Norton A/V to Webroot, so I am guessing some of its cleaning activities must have removed something. I have also noticed the last 2 weeks that MM randomly freezes and has to be hard closed.
pitflyer

Post by pitflyer »

Well, fun morning. Turns out the database and configuration files are actually stored here:

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey

And yes, it turns out that Webroot decided to turn on clearing Media Monkey user settings and preferences as part of its optimizations. I guess this is a known "bug" that randomly can be enabled.

Also turned out that my Windows File History backup wasn't capturing that directory because it wasn't part of any libraries, which is a required attribute (I have since added that folder to be part of my Music library).

So, I had to go all the way back to my last System Image Backup (which I do monthly) and mount the backup of my C drive as a virtual disk to pull those files down.