data lost

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

linn

data lost

Post by linn »

on 14-3 MM hung, i had to force shutdown.
After restart i got ' database is corrupt.
several days of data was gone.
i restored a backup and added the files again.
today i restarted MM, all data added since 14-3 was gone.
So i restored MM.db from a backup i made earlier today, but still all i get is data from 14-3 .
I don't understand, is the database only saved after shutdown, because it could be that MM has been running since 14-3
Several db's are identical in size , how can this be?
Any advice welcome
MMW 4.1.10.1778
The last files added 17.57 today
Lowlander

Re: data lost

Post by Lowlander »

Database is updated as changes are made. However the size may not changes as empty space in the database will be filled before its size grows.

You'll need to figure out which database is actually being used by MediaMonkey and Date Modified would be a good indicator for this.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

linn wrote:I restored a backup and added the files again.
1. Can you give a step by step of how you did that/what that means.
2. How are you creating your backups?
3. Changes should be saved to the database when you make them. Changes to the program (settings/interface) are saved when you
close MM.
4. How would MM have been running since 14-3?
5. You are creating backups so fequently that size could change without being drastic enough to change to the next number,
unless you make "monster" changes frequently.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
linn

Post by linn »

MMFrLife wrote:
linn wrote:I restored a backup and added the files again.
1. Can you give a step by step of how you did that/what that means.
i closed MM and manually replaced the old db with the backed up db.
2. How are you creating your backups?
i made backups with a script http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... f=2&t=7746
4. How would MM have been running since 14-3?
I am not sure but it is possible i did not close MM , i seldom reboot and use MM all the time
5. You are creating backups so fequently that size could change without being drastic enough to change to the next number,
unless you make "monster" changes frequently.
Indeed, i looked at the file properties after adding some files to MM, the overall size doesn't change but looking at 'modified' the db change is reflected.

So, i did some tests
1. added some audiobooks ,
2.changed their genres,(timestamp in MM changed)
3.and looked at the modified properties of MM.db ;
4.exited MM
5.renamed the db to mm.dbold
6.replaced it with a older backed up db
7.started and stopped MM
8 renamed MM.dbold to mm.db
9. started mm,the added books were in the database.

It looks like all is working now as it should.
But the fact remains that a number of days work has disappeared; 734 files, 5.3 GB to be exact .
And the genre changes i did in MM are still there in the tracks if i look at them in explorer.

rescanning and modifying all sort of things (series, book reviews, cover artwork etc) is no option; my book collection is 360 GB.
making backups of databases is of no help if program changes are not saved.

so i think i will from now on regularly check the modified property of the db and restart MM often to check changes were saved.

Thanks for the help, if you got any suggestions please let me know.
linn

Post by linn »

Lowlander wrote:Database is updated as changes are made. However the size may not changes as empty space in the database will be filled before its size grows.

You'll need to figure out which database is actually being used by MediaMonkey and Date Modified would be a good indicator for this.
It is the "roaming' one.
However the size may not changes as empty space in the database will be filled before its size grows.
Indeed, see my comment in my reply to mmfrlife