constant crashes

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

linn

constant crashes

Post by linn »

I get access violations nearly continuously now.
Just now MM decided to rescan my files ,added 600 existing files again.
I installed the debug version , sent about 5 reports, with email adress, haven't heard a thing.

How can i reinstall without having to rescan all my files?
i have put a lot of manual work into the collection (audiobooks).
Thanks
Lowlander

Re: constant crashes

Post by Lowlander »

Which version of MediaMonkey?
linn

Post by linn »

Lowlander wrote:Which version of MediaMonkey?
Sorry, 4.1.6.173 MMW Win 7 x64
No autostart scripts
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

linn wrote:How can i reinstall without having to rescan all my files?
It may not be the issue, but you should start by updating MM.

Just back up media files and MM files: .DB (most important), .ini (highly recommended), (optionally, .registry).

Normally, you can just do a reinstall over the old one, but you should do a clean install
clean uninstall

...portable info at bottom of page.

If you do a clean, you'll likely need to reinstall your scripts.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
linn

Post by linn »

MMFrLife wrote:
linn wrote:How can i reinstall without having to rescan all my files?
It may not be the issue, but you should start by updating MM.

Just back up media files and MM files: .DB (most important), .ini (highly recommended), (optionally, .registry).

Normally, you can just do a reinstall over the old one, but you should do a clean install
clean uninstall

...portable info at bottom of page.

If you do a clean, you'll likely need to reinstall your scripts.
I did install the latest version, 4.1.11,( which still gave me crashes) but the debug version is older, i'm not sure why it is older, i dl it from this site
So, i already reinstalled 4.1.11over the old version , this did not solve the problem.

If i do a complete clean uninstall now,what do i get back with the new clean install?
I presume i can reuse the existing DB, i can save the playlists i made and reimport them i think.
I have lots of 'art' which are sreenshots of book reviews i paste as art; these are saved as .THM files , i don't want to lose all these....

I just noticed the drive which has the files on it has 1 % space left ( 4.3 GB) could this be the cause of the problems ?

MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Access Violations are Memory Access problems. Seomething's causing a block/interference.
The debug is the thing to do for most in these situations. If you want to try something before you hear back,
You should first try to isolate/disable any other program background processes that might be going on
concurrently while MM is running or do a Windows registry clean. But you should only do this if you know what
you are doing
. That is why the debug is so important here.

Reinstalling may fix it but there is a fair chance it won't. You could try installing the portable version separately from the regular install while you're waiting to hear back and just to see if everything works ok with that one.
Although, I would recommend waiting to hear back if you are not comfortable with such things. Give 'em about a
week.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
linn

Post by linn »

MMFrLife wrote: Give 'em about a
week.
Ok, i'll wait some more.
Thanks for your input.
I might try the portable.