Ignore Prefixes for Fields Other Than Artist [#4564][#13147]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

theta_wave

Re: Ignore Prefixes for Fields Other Than Artist [#4564]

Post by theta_wave »

PiercedOne wrote:Add me to the list of the frustrated. I LOVE MediaMonkey, and was thrilled to ditch iTunes, but having literally hundreds of albums sorted by "The" is driving me nuts.
Yes, this is rather annoying for me as well, especially when iTunes ignores the prefix "The" when sorting via album names.
MM Gold Lifetime since 2.5.5.998
Computer: Lenovo Y580 System: Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1 / Arch Linux Mediamonkey 4: w/ Monkeyrok 5.6, Minilyrics 1.4b, iMonkey Skin
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

Mediamonkey has option to ignore " The " its in the options panel i believe under apperance. :)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
theta_wave

Post by theta_wave »

rovingcowboy wrote:Mediamonkey has option to ignore " The " its in the options panel i believe under apperance. :)
It is only for artists, which all of us here appreciate, but "The" prefix is not ignored in other fields such as albums. The inability to do so makes a mess of viewing Soundtracks when they are sorted by the album field for example. This feature request has been tracked (#4564), but there appears to be little movement on it in over four years. It may have been lost in the shuffle, especially with the MM4 roll out and issues related to iDevices synchronization.
Last edited by theta_wave on Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MM Gold Lifetime since 2.5.5.998
Computer: Lenovo Y580 System: Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1 / Arch Linux Mediamonkey 4: w/ Monkeyrok 5.6, Minilyrics 1.4b, iMonkey Skin
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

Oh sorry just seen the question not the tracking number :-?
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Flac4fr

Sorting by Song

Post by Flac4fr »

In the options menu, there is a checkbox for "Ignore prefixes when sorting by Arti(st)" Very useful, as I don't have 10,000 bands sorted with "The" as their first word.

suggestion: create another checkbox for Ignore prefixes when sorting by Title" Many songs start with a parenthesis, as in (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction (Rolling Stones), others start with "...", quotation marks, etc.
If we had that ability, then we could sort songs in a logical way, by the actual words, not the punctuation.
Last edited by Lowlander on Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split and Merged with existing post
JoePublic

Post by JoePublic »

I want to bump this thread. I see that this has had an open ticket for 7 years now.

Like other commenters in this thread, I'd love to see the option to ignore the selected prefix in other fields besides the Artist and Album Artist. I agree that Album and Title are the most obvious candidates. This enhancement would be much appreciated.

Any chance we will ever see this enhancement?

Post by Guest »

Hi,
Does anyone know if the feature to ignore prefixes 'The' 'A'' etc has been added when sorting by albums, Title etc.
It does appear it has been requested for many years but I can't seem to find if its been added.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

No
PiercedOne

"The" in Album Titles

Post by PiercedOne »

I apologize if this has been addressed elsewhere; I searched the board, but didn't find it.

Please tell me how to get MM to ignore "The" in album titles in the same way you can get it to ignore "The" in Artist names. It's making me crazy.

Thanks
Last edited by Lowlander on Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing post
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Not possible with the current release.
PiercedOne

Post by PiercedOne »

We still need this feature, particularly for song and album titles.
Graham Waters

Ignore prefixes on tags other than artist, such as album, title, etc.

Post by Graham Waters »

Hello, I have seen this suggested before but thought I would add my name to those requesting it.

We have the ability to ignore prefixes (such as "the", "a") on Artist, but PLEEEASE will you add this to other tags such as Album, Title, etc. I have so many albums, song titles that look untidy and hard more difficult to manage because of this.

Many thanks.
Last edited by Lowlander on Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing post
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
It is already added in MM5
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
JohnE_EC

Re: Ignore Prefixes for Fields Other Than Artist [#4564][#13147]

Post by JohnE_EC »

Thanks, I have tried this but I still get "The Beatles" and "Beatles" listed separately when I use Grid view to view:

Music > Album Artists
Lowlander

Re: Ignore Prefixes for Fields Other Than Artist [#4564][#13147]

Post by Lowlander »

That's correct, they are differing values. So although they will be shown in the same area, they will show split as they are different values.