Comments in INI file

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

TheAncient

Comments in INI file

Post by TheAncient »

When you start MediaMonkey, it reads certain parameters from a Mediamonkey.INI file.
When you later close Mediamonkey, the Mediamonkey.INI file is re-written to capture any changes you have made to those parameters (for example, you may have switched skins)

My .INI file contains comments (lines prefixed by a semi-colon) to explain why I chose certain settings and to note alternatives such as different database locations.
Mediamonkey removes those comment lines as it re-writes the .ini file when it closes.

Is there any way to retain the comments in the INI file?
Peke

Re: Comments in INI file

Post by Peke »

No, INI file is Dynamically re created from Memory and comments are ignored.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
TheAncient

Post by TheAncient »

I realize, that is what it DOES (I said so in my original post). The question was, how can I avoid that behaviour?
Maybe there are different ways to specify a comment (e.g. using asterisks-es and/or slashes) that will not be removed?
Maybe there is a way to submit this as a suggestion for an enhancement to be incorporated in a future release?
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

put it in the Wishlist topic section
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
TheAncient

Retain comments in the mediamonkey.ini file

Post by TheAncient »

When you start MediaMonkey, it reads certain parameters from a Mediamonkey.INI file.
When you later close Mediamonkey, the Mediamonkey.INI file is re-written to capture any changes you have made to those parameters (for example, you may have switched skins)

My .INI file contains comments (lines prefixed by a semi-colon) to explain why I chose certain settings and to note alternatives such as different database locations.
Mediamonkey removes those comment lines as it re-writes the .ini file when it closes.

I suggest, you provide the capability to retain the comments in the INI file.
Bob_m_54

Post by Bob_m_54 »

Having MM edit (append?) the .ini rather than rewrite it, which is what you would need to retain comments, would be a lot more complex to implement, than just creating a new .ini file. Maybe you could keep a copy of the basic .ini (call it myini or something) for you to refer to when you want to see why certain parameters are specified. Not perfect or nice and slick, but just a thought.
TheAncient

Post by TheAncient »

That is precisely what I am doing right now.
I do not know what is going on "behind the scenes" thus I don't know how tough it would be implement.
I just threw that out there as a suggestion that the authors could look at at some future date.
Peke

Post by Peke »

This is more likely not to be added as INI file is dynamically generated and MMW can't know which one of custom comments should be saved and to which MMW option it references to.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts