Volume level on sync - always re-encodes every file?

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

toyzrme

Volume level on sync - always re-encodes every file?

Post by toyzrme »

Hi - just got a new 200GB uSD card for my S7, and I'm syncing all my music to it. (~11,000 tracks).
MMW 4.1.14, MMA 1.2.0.0614

I also decided that I wanted the volume on all tracks to be level on the device. I checked "Level volume when sync'ing (89dB)".

So that I would have some playlists to listen to reasonably quickly, I decided to first sync only my most important playlists, those in my "Rock" category, so that it could complete in a few hours. Then, I'd add other genres, and sync again to get those.

The first sync of "Rock only" went mostly as planned (other than creating 17,000/54GB of temporary files - see below)

Then I selected more playlists to sync. I assumed this would be an incremental process: it would see that I already did "Rock", and only re-encode the new additions, then re-sync them.

INSTEAD, it decided it was going to re-sync EVERY track in "Rock", PLUS the new tracks. (Surprise #1)

Then, it re-encoded EVERY track that was going to be sync'd: at this point, that's 10,000+ tracks. So it created the new versions of every one of those files, AGAIN, or *65GB* in 20,000 files (mp3 + another file) - and almost blew out my system partition with those 65GB (rather than a drive that had plenty of room). (Surprise #2)

Is this as expected? Why? I didn't change the target volume. This seems very wasteful (and slow)....
Environment:
MMW: ~25,000 tracks, MM.DB on 16Gbps PCIe SSD (Samsung 950 Pro) - up-to-date, not Beta
MMA: ~12,000 tracks sync'd to phone - up-to-date, not Beta
PC: Windows 10/64, Skylake quad+HT @4.2GHz, 64GB RAM, 14TB RAID6
Phone: Galaxy S10 (128GB) + 400GB mSD card (Samsung EVO+)
Sync: all tracks rated >=3 sync'd to phone
.........all playlists only use tracks rated >=3
.........thus sync'ing is 99.99% playlist update - no tracks are sync'd, other than new purchases
Playlists: ~59 synced
..........most are auto-playlists
..........use attributes Rating, Last Played, Date recorded, Genre, Genre "contains", Path "contains"
..........many are nested, i.e. "Top AutoPlaylist" includes "Level 2 AutoPL #1" + "Level 2 AutoPL #2" etc.
Lowlander

Re: Volume level on sync - always re-encodes every file?

Post by Lowlander »

Sync should skip files already synced. Did you do a USB or Wifi sync to the phone's external memory or did you sync directly to the card itself?
toyzrme

Post by toyzrme »

WiFi sync to phone, with a new 200GB uSD card on Galaxy S7.

Last time I synced to my old 128GB card, there were a total of ~11,000 tracks. I chose a subset of those playlists, so that it would finish the first sync a little sooner. Total MMW library is ~25k tracks (~22k are rated, about 1/3 are rated <3, and I don't sync or listen to those).

The first sync, it created ~18,000 files (2 for each track - mp3 & hsh) in the temp device directory. Total track sync was ~ 8,900. Ok, makes sense.
When complete, it left the hash files (HSH) for all the tracks (8900) in the temp directory. Ok, I think I get how it works.

However, a number of the playlists I had selected didn't sync: I got the playlist (ie name), but it was empty on the phone.

So I triggered a second sync.

This time, it got to just over 20,000 total files in the temp device directory (i.e. 2 files for EVERY track, not just "new" ones). The total sync download was showing as ~10,000. Meaning, instead of just building the extra couple of thousand "new" temp mp3's, it rebuilt all of them. Afterward, there were ~10k HSH files. i.e. consistent with creating 10,000 mp3's + 10,000 hsh files.

Also: both times, MM never displayed a "downloaded X files, X playlists, etc, etc" dialog. It just kind of....finished. So there's no way to tell what it *thinks* it downloaded. Does the dialog go away after a timeout? (this was running overnight because of the # tracks)

Concerned about having to re-build on every sync, I decided to stop the leveling, and did a clean install of MMA (uninstalled base + Pro, wiped playlists, music directory, all MediaMonkey folders, sync profiles), then synced all my normal playlists again. This time, it said it was going to sync 12,400 tracks (about what I expected).

This morning, again, no sync completion dialog. I went to "Tracks", and there were LOTS of duplicates showing. So I hit "Random Play All" (button @ top right), and "Now Playing" showed 15,546 tracks.... huh? (FYI ES FileExplorer shows 14,196 files in 6285 folders.... not 11k or 15k...)

Even stranger: I just went back to the "Now Playing" list (~2 hours later), and now a number of tracks are grayed out....??? And won't play, saying "inaccessible". If I try to play the duplicates, one will be inaccessible, the other will play.

I verified there was only 1 sync profile showing in MMW.

Something is definitely going on...
Last edited by toyzrme on Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Environment:
MMW: ~25,000 tracks, MM.DB on 16Gbps PCIe SSD (Samsung 950 Pro) - up-to-date, not Beta
.........thus sync'ing is 99.99% playlist update - no tracks are sync'd, other than new purchases
..........use attributes Rating, Last Played, Date recorded, Genre, Genre "contains", Path "contains"
..........many are nested, i.e. "Top AutoPlaylist" includes "Level 2 AutoPL #1" + "Level 2 AutoPL #2" etc.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Feel free to send a debug log after each wifi sync (from About screen in MMA) and open a Support ticket with logIDs.
toyzrme

Post by toyzrme »

Log HQ2B47NHB2 "Long sync analyze + duplicates"
Environment: