play multiple files via DLNA

Get answers about sharing MediaMonkey for Windows 4 with different devices.

Moderator: Gurus

dloose

play multiple files via DLNA

Post by dloose »

I have MM4 working very nicely as a DLNA server, serving files from 128 kbs to 24/96 to an Oppo Blu-ray. But only one track at a time. Years ago, I remember if I started an album on track 1, the whole album would play. Not now. Surely there is a way to stream multiple tracks without making a playlist. I really don't want to make 3000 playlists.
Lowlander

Re: play multiple files via DLNA

Post by Lowlander »

Are you playing to the device from MediaMonkey? Or are you using the device to play files from MediaMonkey?

Which version of MediaMonkey?
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

This also happened when accessing MM DLNA server via Sonos.

At one time I could queue whole albums, but now only single tracks. It is like Sonos doesn't see the album as a container.

MM 4.1.14.1813

PS. this is not a recent change. It broke quite some time ago.

<<< Are you playing to the device from MediaMonkey? Or are you using the device to play files from MediaMonkey?>>>

Using the device to play files from MM.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Peke

Post by Peke »

I just tried and when browsing albums I can select whole album to be played and it adds all tracks from album to Now playing.

I Used KODI and MMA for testing.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

The only idea I have that the upnp class would change over the past years, but looking into SVN the upnp class for the music album is "object.container.album.musicAlbum" from 01/25/2012 (the first MM 4.1 build 1600) - issue http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=9010

Could you test an older MMW build to ensure that it is (not) related to a MMW change?
All the builds are available here: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 00#p431509

Post by Guest »

The fact that MM can't play (or MM media server doesn't support -- whichever it is) multiple files in a media server setup is a dealbreaker for me. I uninstalled MM recently.

I'm using VLC to hold me over until I find a MM alternative.

The MM GUI is nice and it's rather feature rich, but unfortunately it falls short on some very, very basic needs such as:

- Playing multiple files in a media server environment
- Crashes related to copying/syncing media to a portable device
- Crashes related to playlist creation

Ultimately it would be nice if I could put my music on a NAS, and allow every device on the network to access the music, as well as the same MM database. A single database which can be used with every device would be great, and perhaps allow each user/device to assign their own user within that database so analytics can be tracked per user/device.

It's 2017 but it seems like there still isn't a perfect media setup. I've yet to try Plex but I'm not sure how well it handles music.

If anyone has any recommendations on what to use for local network music, let me know. And please don't suggest Windows Media Player.

Would love to see Winamp resurrected and cover the issues listed above. Might be interesting to see MM and Winamp breed. The whole reason I switched from Winamp to MM initially was because copying media to portable devices/syncing kept crashing on Winamp. It seemed to work on MM for a while but now MM is crashing again. Maybe it's because of the mixed audio formats but I'm not sure. Most of my collection is MP3 with the odd FLAC.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I don't follow. MediaMonkey can both serve and play multiple files (in sequence) as well as serve different files to multiple clients simultaneously and does so well here.

What exactly is the problem you're having and which software (only MediaMonkey) is involved? Please provide more details about the setup.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Guest wrote:The fact that MM can't play (or MM media server doesn't support -- whichever it is) multiple files in a media server setup is a dealbreaker for me. I uninstalled MM recently.

I'm using VLC to hold me over until I find a MM alternative.
Can you please elaborate what do you mean by multiple files. I've tested MMW against 5 Devices accessing MMW DLNA server and playing different tracks/playlists wihout any issues. Some even included file conversion ALAC -> MP3.
Guest wrote:The MM GUI is nice and it's rather feature rich, but unfortunately it falls short on some very, very basic needs such as:

- Playing multiple files in a media server environment
I'm not sure what are you talking about, as along with above I also tested MMW to play on several renderer and complete now playing is working without any issues.
Guest wrote: - Crashes related to copying/syncing media to a portable device
It very much depend on device and how you sync. For example USB/MTP sync is known to crash on system level not just mediamonkey where WiFi Sync using MMA solves sync issues in 95% of cases without our involvement/debug.
Guest wrote: - Crashes related to playlist creation
That you need to elaborate bit more, on where you create playlists, what versions you used, how you want your playlists be arranged,... simply too many rich options as you said.
Guest wrote:Ultimately it would be nice if I could put my music on a NAS, and allow every device on the network to access the music, as well as the same MM database. A single database which can be used with every device would be great, and perhaps allow each user/device to assign their own user within that database so analytics can be tracked per user/device.
We are working on something like that for MM5 but as MM5 is in alpha stage much can change.
Guest wrote:It's 2017 but it seems like there still isn't a perfect media setup. I've yet to try Plex but I'm not sure how well it handles music.
If anyone has any recommendations on what to use for local network music, let me know. And please don't suggest Windows Media Player.
I have PLEX on QNAP NAS, along with Sonarr, CouchPotato, SickRage, Pydio and none of them have all especially about the music. Lowlander say that paid subscription PLEX have better music tagging but navigation is thing I do not like at all (maybe MMW influence), Sonarr is great for TV Series and only for that as for subtitles I need to either use SickRage (which I loved till i need 2 hours each time it updates) or adding plugins/addons to PLEX in order to download them. CouchPotato is great for movies along with PLEX for cataloging.There is also QNAP Media Studio that is OK after I put all the files thru other apps and organize filenames/paths correctly. For music MMW is non replaceable and only app that touches filenames and organizing files, others can only occasionally scan few folders to see how they handle.
Guest wrote:Would love to see Winamp resurrected and cover the issues listed above.
I really doubt that Winamp is bought only for ShoutCast technology
Guest wrote:Might be interesting to see MM and Winamp breed. The whole reason I switched from Winamp to MM initially was because copying media to portable devices/syncing kept crashing on Winamp. It seemed to work on MM for a while but now MM is crashing again. Maybe it's because of the mixed audio formats but I'm not sure. Most of my collection is MP3 with the odd FLAC.
As explained above this is something you need to address and like others we try to see and fix what we can.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts