MM Closing Itself When Playing Through Sonos

Get answers about sharing MediaMonkey for Windows 4 with different devices.

Moderator: Gurus

loubat

MM Closing Itself When Playing Through Sonos

Post by loubat »

I've been using MM and Sonos together for a couple years now, but only recently started having this problem. I've got Media Sharing set up in MM, and it shows up in Sonos. Actually, I've got both "Mediamonkey Library" and "Mediamonkey Server" that show up in Sonos for me to choose from. Never have been sure if I need both of those, or if I should get rid of one of them. But recently (perhaps after upgrading to the latest MM version a week or so ago) Sonos has been throwing a "Connection to Mediamonky Server was lost" error, and I will notice that the MM application has shut down with no warning. So I restart MM, and when Sonos gets to the next MM track (I usually have a mix of MM and Spotify tracks in my playlist), it will play the MM track for a bit, but then crash.

Any ideas?
Lowlander

Re: MM Closing Itself When Playing Through Sonos

Post by Lowlander »

You only need 1 server, this double server is a left over from upgrades and the introduction of wifi sync.

Capture a debug log (step 4b) of the crash and attach it to a support ticket so that the developers can analyze why this is happening: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=20&t=69
loubat

Post by loubat »

Thanks for the info. It hasn't done it again since the dozen times it did it the day of the original post, go figure. Does it matter which one I remove, Library or Server? Both seem to have the same function, as far as my use of it anyway.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I don't think it matters which one is removed.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Hi loubat,

I am interested to hear how you get Sonos working with MM.

Is MM controlling the play, or are you using a Sonos controller to pull from the MM server?

If the later, what do you queue to Sonos? I can only queue single tracks, ie. can't queue whole albums. The only workaround is to use the Sonos PC controller, which allows you to select multiple rows, so you can select all tracks in the album.

You see anything different?
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
loubat

Post by loubat »

Yeah I'm letting Sonos pull from MM. And yes, one of the biggest annoyances is that you have to select individual tracks from the mobile Sonos apps. The only way to select multiple tracks is through the pc controller.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

OK, thanks.

For this reason I use my MM indices for browsing only. As stupid as it sounds, it is actually quicker, having chosen an album via a MM index, to type a keyword from the album or artist title in Sonos universal search, and queue the album via their local library facility.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
loubat

Post by loubat »

I feel your pain. Usually if I'm laying in bed or something, and forgot to queue something from my MM Recently Added Playlist, I'll just pull up TeamViewer on my tablet and do it remotely on the desktop. Your way seems like a lot of back and forth, but might actually be quicker. I'll give it a try!
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

loubat wrote:I feel your pain. Usually if I'm laying in bed or something, and forgot to queue something from my MM Recently Added Playlist, I'll just pull up TeamViewer on my tablet and do it remotely on the desktop. Your way seems like a lot of back and forth, but might actually be quicker. I'll give it a try!
Actually, I have a better way for use in bed at home, or when doing focused browsing when away from home.

I have an app which creates multi-target playlists which can be used by Sonos, or a UPnP client on my tablet (in bed: I am not allowed a Sonos in the bedroom unless I want to start sleeping alone :)). Also when commuting, using the playlists against my Google library, as I took advantage of their offer to host up to 50,000 tracks from my own collection for free. Also when staying away from home, using the UPnP client again, this time against one of those small 2tb WiFi USB drives, where my whole collection is replicated.

The playlists are auto-created and auto-refreshed using MM data, and are available at home on the NAS, as well as in my Google Play library, and on the portable WiFi drive. So a wider reach than a MM index, and just as current.

My playlists are active like yours. Mine are mostly based upon date last played criteria, rather than date added.

The app updates MM play history with all Sonos plays, via direct observation of the Sonos zones, plus plays from all mobile devices, or other locations, which scrobble.

Contact me through the site if you are interested: http://www.albumplays.com