Chromecast Audio for DEsktop App

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

rdelarie

Re: Chromecast Audio for DEsktop App

Post by rdelarie »

I got this to work with BubbleUPnP
pleglise

Post by pleglise »

Yes, I'm using BubbleUpnp Server too.
But it's sometimes difficult to make it start on a ChromeCast group (for multiroom), I don't understand why...
rdelarie

Post by rdelarie »

I had that problem too and solved it by upgrading the BubbleUPnP server to the latest version (#21). The description of the update before that one (#20) mentiones that they fixed the problem with Chromecast audio groups:
https://www.bubblesoftapps.com/bubbleup ... #changelog
pleglise

Post by pleglise »

Thansk I saw that and have the latest build.
But it's still a bit tricky with groups...

Would be much better directly in MediaMonkey ;-)
jcanoy

Post by jcanoy »

Would you share how you got MM to cast to Chromecast Audio with BubbleUPnP? I've installed BubbleUPnP and it seems to 'see' my Chromecast and I've found in MediaMonkey references to it in Tools/Options/Player and Tools/Options/Library/Media Sharing (UPnP/DLNA). I've tried Tools/Options/Player/Choose Player/UPnP/DLNA Renderer, but that doesn't work... it won't let me start/play a track.
Thanks, Jack
rdelarie

Post by rdelarie »

Well, I don't know what to say. It worked before after I updated the server but when I tried it just now (had not used it for a while) it didn't work for me either anymore. I reinstalled the server but no luck. Probably something to do with changes in the Chromecast protocol that have not yet been address by BubbleUPnP.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I'd presume the method to use is to use BubbleUPnP is, you connect it to Chromecast (playback device) and then you access the MediaMonkey Server (source) to access and play your files. Then BubbleUPnP will stream from MMW to Chromecast. This likely can only be done for file formats that are supported by the Chromecast. At least that's the way it works for me with MediaMonkey for Android instead of BubbleUPnP.
jcanoy

Post by jcanoy »

Well, I finally got MM Desktop to play on my ChromeCast Audio with BubbleUPnP. I've been working on getting this to work for 3 weeks now, including many sessions with Google Chromecast tech support under the impression that 'Cast Desktop' in the Chrome Chromecast Extension should 'cast' whatever sound was playing from whatever program (like MM, Media Player, VLC) is producing audio. They finally admitted that is only appropriate for the 'video' Chromecast. Now, I'm not exactly sure what I did... I was at that stage of 'about to call it quits' and was kind of 'tossing stuff at the wall to see what sticks'. Have been doing all this on my travel laptop and will start trying to replicate on the desktop PC where I actually want it long term and see if I can log what I'm doing that makes it work. What's really confusing is all the DLNA nomenclature of the components. Like, I'm pretty sure the Chromecast Audio is a 'passive' Digital Media Renderer (DMR) (just waiting for content to be 'pushed' to it)... or is it a Digital Media Player? Now, what is BubbleUPnP? The Digital Media Server (DMS)? Or is the MediaMonkey acting as the DMS? Or, is MM the Digital Media Controller? Makes me really appreciate what the MM engineers must be doing to make MM do this without something like BubbleUPnP!!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_L ... k_Alliance
and
http://www.soundandvision.com/content/w ... 4kQVzIP.97
rdelarie

Post by rdelarie »

BubbleUPnP creates media renderers for Chromecasts it can find and for Chromecast groups. These then can be set up as DLNA renderers and be used as players in MediaMonkey. It did not work for me the other day but today it is working again after restarting everything. Don't ask me why...
jcanoy

Post by jcanoy »

I'd left things 'open' overnight and when tried this morning, it wouldn't work. Rebooted and started BubbleUPnP and MM and got it to work again... I don't know why, either. One thing I notice is that the volume bar in MM goes to zero which one doesn't expect and makes it, initially, seem like it's not working.
berrieds

Post by berrieds »

+1 for chromecast support.

Any updates?

Also wanted to thank MM for being the best audio-media :D
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi, this is already implemented in MM5 -- currently in alfa state: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=29 (keep it mind it is an alfa -- i.e. many features are incomplete and haven't been thoroughly tested).

For casting to Chromecast just right-click player => Play to.. => Chromecast
rdelarie

Post by rdelarie »

Good to know that support for ChromeCast is on its way.
One problem I encountered when casting via BubbleUPnP is the variation in volume. I use volume leveling through the MM player and understand that the only way to avoid this problem is via track leveling. Will this be the same when casting directly from MM to ChromeCast?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It does so already for DLNA streaming. It levels on-the-fly (if enabled) leaving the originals intact while providing leveled playback to devices that don't support the level tags.
rdelarie

Post by rdelarie »

Which setting is that? I have to admit to being somewhat confused about volume leveling. These are my current settings:
https://1drv.ms/i/s!Av1ZuOyBUla7i4dZR-XimrTQiwM-kg