MM Futures - DLNA, Network Audio, Audiophiles, Roon, etc

Get answers about sharing MediaMonkey for Windows 4 with different devices.

Moderator: Gurus

ctbarker32

MM Futures - DLNA, Network Audio, Audiophiles, Roon, etc

Post by ctbarker32 »

Hi,

I am a very very longtime MediaMonkey Gold user. MM has worked well for me for more than a decade? But, my eye is wandering as my audio and specifically network audio needs evolve.

I also have been running LMS (Logitech Music Server aka "Squeezebox") for more than a decade and MM is my CD ripping library management tool of choice. I run a mix of original Logitech Squeezeboxes as well as newer Raspberry Pi based PicorePlayer LMS Squeezebox clients. I run LMS on three servers (VortexBox DIY, and Qnap, and WD NAS). I also run Plex for all of my Video server needs but also have been exploring Plex's Music features as well.

Recently I have purchased new DACs from Oppo including the brand new Sonica DAC and Sonica Speaker. These both support DLNA only so I have been forced to explore the world of DLNA servers/renderers/controllers. I have always considered DLNA inferior to LMS (no gapless support, very slow compared to LMS, etc) so I had only given it a cursory look.

As network audio has evolved in the vacuum that was created after Logitech stopped making LMS hardware, DLNA products have evolved and become dominant as well as MPD players and the higher end solution called Roon. Mostly, IMHO, these products have just reinvented the wheel since LMS solved a lot of these issues long ago. Along with LMS extensive plug-in support and open source, it has continued to stay relevant to this day.

This long preamble has brought me to the purpose of this post. What is the Ventis/MediaMonkey road map for network audio?

I ask this question after watching an extensive presentation on the features of JRiver. I was trying to understand why this product (JRiver) was so popular among the Audiophile community? I would say JRiver along with Roon are the top two network audio products currently.

As I watched the JRiver demo, I discovered how it was very easy to filter and organize an Audio collection as well control via DLNA where audio would be played. All of this functionality was exposed at a high level in the GUI.

I then started to research MM and discovered to my surprise it too could be used as a controller/renderer. I always knew about MM's DLNA server capability, but did not know of it's controller/renderer capabilities. But, the reason I didn't know is this capability is buried deep in the options menu unlikely to be found easily? JRiver on the other hand exposes this feature at a top level along with other Audiophile hot buttons such as file bit rate/depth and DSD support, etc.

It seems the current MM paradigm is getting a bit long in the tooth and a strategic rethink of the GUI and network audio in particular would be in order?

Thanks.

-CB
Lowlander

Re: MM Futures - DLNA, Network Audio, Audiophiles, Roon, etc

Post by Lowlander »

ctbarker32 wrote:control via DLNA where audio would be played
Right click Player in MM and use Choose Player to select a DLNA client for playback.

It seems that for now DLNA will be further used. MM5 will add Chromecast to its capabilities (MMA already has it). MMA may get the ability to control MM5 in the future.
ctbarker32 wrote:I discovered how it was very easy to filter and organize an Audio collection
Both Collections and AutoPlaylists are available to filter your Library.
ctbarker32

Post by ctbarker32 »

Lowlander wrote:
ctbarker32 wrote:control via DLNA where audio would be played
Right click Player in MM and use Choose Player to select a DLNA client for playback.

It seems that for now DLNA will be further used. MM5 will add Chromecast to its capabilities (MMA already has it). MMA may get the ability to control MM5 in the future.
ctbarker32 wrote:I discovered how it was very easy to filter and organize an Audio collection
Both Collections and AutoPlaylists are available to filter your Library.
Thanks for the right click DLNA player tip. I am already using Auto Playlists, less so collections. I would argue JRiver's UI makes on the fly filtering more intuitive. MM's approach requires more clicking and forethought?

Thanks again.

-CB
jiri

Post by jiri »

In MM5 we aim to improve both UI to make networking features more accessible and to improve the underlying technologies (sync and stream from various platforms, etc.). Feel free to test the alpha, we are always interested in feedback and ideas for improvements!

Jiri
Peke

Post by Peke »

Latest Alpha of MM5 can be downloaded from http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 86639&sd=d
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts