[SOLVED] Windows XP Catastrophic Failure?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

charmingnathan

[SOLVED] Windows XP Catastrophic Failure?

Post by charmingnathan »

***I posted the message below one week ago and it was moved to the problem with addons section, as it mentions Discogs Tagger. Unfortunately, the thread in Addons is very long, and it hasn't received a response, however...I have since un-installed the Discogs Tagger completely, re-booted the P.C. and attempted to use just the Amazon Tagger, which just hangs with no response at all, not even "No Results Found", so I suspect the problem is much deeper. Thank you for your attention as the issue below still persists!***

Postby charmingnathan » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:36 pm
I have a P.C. moreoreless dedicated to using Media Monkey to tag, and up until an odd series of events, I have had great success in doing so.

Before going into this, I am ready to accept the awful possibility of an intermittent hardware issue coming into play.

First of all, without any warning, the video driver software dropped off and I was let with nothing but the basic XP V.G.A. driver.

Secondly, Media Monkey started screwing up, when attempting to tag, I received this error messaage: "Error 2147418113 File C:\...DiscogsAutoTagWeb.vbs Line 4593, Column 1" click okay on that message and I receive a second error message: "Error happened during script execution: Catastrophic Failure".

Thirdly, to attempt to resolve this issue I have:

Un and re-installed Media Monkey numerous times, re-starting each time;

Un and re-installed the Discogs tagger numerous times;

After un-installing have removed every "Media Monkey" registry entry the search facility could find;

Restored the system prior to the issue with Media Monkey starting and/or the video driver 'falling off';

Run a 'soft' repair of Windows XP SP 3; (while waiting on the last black screen "Please wait" before seeing the 'repaired' Desktop, the system has hung twice and I've had to re-start the P.C. to get backto the Desktop).

None of the above has made any difference to the issue at all. I have come to the conclusion that the next logical step is a fresh install of XP, but am sure there must be a more straightforward way to resolve this, unless the system does have a hardware issue.

Your ideas would be most welcome, thank you in advance.
Lowlander

Re: Catastrophic Failure?

Post by Lowlander »

The error is from Discogs Tagger. Thus belongs in that forum topic.

Have you since updated to MediaMonkey 4.1.15?
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Lowlander's suggestion is first thing to check/try.

Also, being on XP, have you had a lot of issues with MM in general; whether major or minor, in the past/recently before current problem?
Did you also try uninstalling any/all other add-ons or do a "clean" uninstall of MM?
Are you on portable version?
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
charmingnathan

Post by charmingnathan »

MMFrLife wrote:Lowlander's suggestion is first thing to check/try.

Also, being on XP, have you had a lot of issues with MM in general; whether major or minor, in the past/recently before current problem?
Did you also try uninstalling any/all other add-ons or do a "clean" uninstall of MM?
Are you on portable version?
I don't think it is just a Discogs Tagger issue, because as I stated above, I have now un-installed the Discogs Tagger completely, and it just hangs when searching Amazon.

MMFrLife, no I have had no issues with Media Monkey in general and have been using it quite satisfactorily for sometime. As mentioned in my original post, the issue all stems from when the video driver 'fell off' and when I couldn't immediately locate the driver, I used the XP restore facility to reset to a previous date setting, and ever since then Media Monkey hasn't tagged at all, and comes out with the "Catastrophic Failure" error message. In answer to your other question, I have tried un and re-installing it, removing the Discogs Tagger, and even removing all entries that I could find from the registry, all of which made no difference.

Like Lowlander, I felt it was a Discogs Tagger issue especially as it also came out with an error message something like "No activation key found in active content", but since un-installing Discogs, Amazon hangs as well. No, not on Portable version, tried it, and that wouldn't even install properly. :(
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

charmingnathan wrote:not on Portable version, tried it, and that wouldn't even install properly.
How did it fail?
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Well, the point on the uninstall/reinstall was whether or not you are installing the most recent version or just reinstalling "your" current one (which could also be
"the" current one. But, like you say, it sounds like you got a lot more going than on that. :(
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
😜
charmingnathan

Post by charmingnathan »

Lowlander wrote:
charmingnathan wrote:not on Portable version, tried it, and that wouldn't even install properly.
How did it fail?
Basically it appeared to be a quarter install: the icons on the Desktop identified as the Widnose 'don't know what the application is' white box with a blue border at the top, and whenever I clicked on them to open the software, it just came up with "Widnose is searching to try to find the application", type error message.
charmingnathan

Post by charmingnathan »

MMFrLife wrote:Well, the point on the uninstall/reinstall was whether or not you are installing the most recent version or just reinstalling "your" current one (which could also be
"the" current one. But, like you say, it sounds like you got a lot more going than on that. :(
I've tried both: the already downloaded installation .exe together with the latest from the website and even tried downloading the previous version with the same results.

I should clarify that when using Amazon, Media Monkey doesn't freeze, it just looks like it is trying to find the tagging data and stays like that...
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Did you install to the desktop? The Portable version needs to be launched by running MediaMonkey.exe from the folder where you installed it.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Make sure "everything" MM is uninstalled clean and "only" install newest portable to the "desktop", as Lowlander suggests.
😜
charmingnathan

Post by charmingnathan »

Thanks Lowlander and MMFrLife for your replies.

In answer to your questions, no I installed the portable version to tbe "C" Drive and Program Files directory only.

To be honest, I only tried it because I'd tried everything else!

I can install to the Desktop as you suggest, but is there any point? One shouldn't assume I know, but presumably if the 'nor-mal' version doesn't work, neither will the portable?

I should remind you this is being installed on a P.C., nor on a Laptop or Smart Phone.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Not needed, but you need to launch MediaMonkey.exe from where you did install the Portable version. You were mentioning you were launching from the Desktop, instead go to the install folder and launch.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Can you make full desktop Screenshot showing MediaMonkey that you start?

You can use http://imgur.com/ to upload image and paste link here.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
charmingnathan

Post by charmingnathan »

No need for a Desktop screen shot Peke and Lowlander!

I have done what you asked, and installed Media Monkey the Portable Version to the root of "C".

I then went into the Media Monkey folder in the root of "C" (not the Desktop) and double clicked on the launch.exe.

The result I got was two standard Widnose dialogue boxes with the white "X" on the red background and the error message "The specified procedure could not be found", I actually received two of these error message boxes, one on top of each other.

I then get the standard setup wizard with another error message stating "Error during player installation". then the standard Media Monkey screen appears with the options column on the left, I presume however, that this installation is corrupt?
PetrCBR

Post by PetrCBR »

Do you have iTunes installed ?
How to make a debuglog - step 4b: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643