[SOLVED] Windows XP Catastrophic Failure?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

charmingnathan

Re: Catastrophic Failure?

Post by charmingnathan »

Peke wrote:As you are on Win XP in order to make MM and many other apps using IE and scripting so so working a must installs are.

- Internet Explorer 8 http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... 86-ENU.exe
- VBscript 5.7 https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... px?id=8247
- Windows Media Player 11 and in some rare cases WMF codec updates https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... tails.aspx
- DirectX 9.0c http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... redist.exe

If you have any issues let me know I'll check my backups.
Peke,

Thanks for those links. You will, I hope, be delighted to hear that at last there has been some positive progress, though "not a lot"!

The VBscript refused to install advising that the system was already sufficiently updated.

DirectX installed with no problem, but I.E. 8 has, without doubt, made the most difference.

The situation now is:

Media Monkey opens without any error messages at all;

The Amazon Tagger works, and the blank white window now has visible data and graphics in it, BUT...Discogs Tagger is still screwed.

I have tried with three different artists and bands and get the same error messages, firstly : http://imgur.com/a/VTXua I click on okay, then receive: http://imgur.com/a/pC6NF

Any thoughts please?
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Sounds like you are making great progress. :)
Since it seems to be down to the script, you need to ask questions about it in the Discogs Tagger thread.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
๐Ÿ˜œ
charmingnathan

Post by charmingnathan »

Thanks MMFrLife, yes some progress indeed! :D

Looks like I.E. has been largely at fault - what a surprise!

At your suggestion, I have created a thread within the Addons section of the forum, but will leave the question open here also, in case anyone has potential solutions for it.

Cheers.
Peke

Post by Peke »

THX for update.

Well at least we figured out it is not the MMW issue. This time, try your best next time :wink: :roll: 8) :)

Most likely the problem with Discogs is that uses newer components not available in XP even updated in order to work and access data. I'm keeping fingers crossed you will make things working.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Peke

Re: [SOLVED] Windows XP Catastrophic Failure?

Post by Peke »

Hi,

I updated list of needed installs here http://forum.mediamonkey.com/viewtopic. ... 60#p434160

Maybe it will help you with MSXML issues, but looks like Win XP usability and of life is very very near. Unfortunately it is a fact we can't escape from.
Best regards,
Peke
yarguy

Post by yarguy »

Peke wrote: Most likely the problem with Discogs is that uses newer components not available in XP even updated in order to work and access data. I'm keeping fingers crossed you will make things working.
This is in fact the case with Discogs. It now uses a version of TLS for SSL that is incompatible with XP and never will be now that XP is unsupported. Sorry. Time to upgrade to a supported version of windows or live with the limitations (which I imagine will only increase over time).
Peke

Post by Peke »

That should be able to override with hacks. Is investing in dying product worth time and effort?
Best regards,
Peke
charmingnathan

Post by charmingnathan »

This maybe a stupid question, but I shall ask it anyway.

If Discogs Tagger has,in effect, made itself incompatible with XP, is there anyway to downgrade the tagger, i.e. to download the previous version that did and was compatible with XP?

I don't want this to sound like I'm being 'anti' Media Monkey, I would say the same about any piece of software, but it seems a quite over the top requirement that in order to use a piece of software, one has to upgrade their entire O.S.!

Just a thought...
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Add-Ons are third party and not MM. If keeping it compatible could be done, MM wouldn't do it, anyway. It would be up to the author. Also,
you should ask the author if he knows of a way to obtain an earlier version if you don't still have a copy of yours.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
๐Ÿ˜œ
yarguy

Post by yarguy »

It's not Discogs Tagger that is incompatible, it is the way Discogs itself interacts with other programs that won't work with XP. The previous version of DIscogs Tagger simply wouldn't work with Discogs anymore. And I have to tell you that anyone who wants to keep their program up to date, especially in ways that enhance security is going to end up with their program incapable of running under XP. XP simply is not capable of running some of the newer software security enhancements. I don't want the programs I use to be kept dumbed down and less secure just to keep them compatible with an outmoded operating system.
charmingnathan wrote:This maybe a stupid question, but I shall ask it anyway.

If Discogs Tagger has,in effect, made itself incompatible with XP, is there anyway to downgrade the tagger, i.e. to download the previous version that did and was compatible with XP?

I don't want this to sound like I'm being 'anti' Media Monkey, I would say the same about any piece of software, but it seems a quite over the top requirement that in order to use a piece of software, one has to upgrade their entire O.S.!

Just a thought...
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

yarguy wrote:The previous version of DIscogs Tagger simply wouldn't work with Discogs anymore.
That's a great point, as sites change how things are done over time. Also, XP has long been unsupported and a security risk if using it for net purposes.
๐Ÿ˜œ
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Complete programs have already dropped support for Windows XP. Microsoft also no longer supports it. However unfortunate this is, as XP was a good OS for many and hardware running it often still runs, it often becomes impossible to run the same code base on newer and older versions of Windows.
Peke

Post by Peke »

The things are getting worse further as many many many apps drop x86 architecture and focus on x64. It is not just Windows trend, same thing goes with MAC OS X and even my NAS refuse to update software as they require x64 firmware.
Best regards,
Peke