Figuring Out a Corrupted DB

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Boobounder

Figuring Out a Corrupted DB

Post by Boobounder »

I have recovered an old DB.

I had always wondered why some of my stuff did not come through with an upgrade.

I see now that the old DB had been corrupted.

Here's what I wonder.

I was able to open the DB and view it in another program. One of its tables was cutoff, in alphabetical order, according to one of its fields: "M" and later are just gone. Two questions:

1) Would playlists that start with a number sort at the beginning of the alphabet or the end? (They are missing too, but I would have assumed they'd sort at the front).
2) Is there a way to recover that missing information (like a backup of the DB somewhere).
Boobounder

Reconstruct a Missing Playlist

Post by Boobounder »

I have an old DB from which some playlists were lost.

I am trying to figure out how I might reconstruct a playlist, if I can just build off a usage pattern.

So, I know I can sort the old DB by "last played". That helps.

Here's what I wonder.

When I am playing songs from some big unsaved playlist, and I decide I want a particular song added to some other playlist ... is there any information about that recorded any other place than the playlistsongs junction table in the DB? You know, something like a "last playlisted" field?
Lowlander

Re: Figuring Out a Corrupted DB

Post by Lowlander »

1) Playlists are in a different table than say file info.
2) You'll have to look for other databases. MediaMonkey doesn't create backups by default.
Lowlander

Re: Reconstruct a Missing Playlist

Post by Lowlander »

Boobounder wrote:When I am playing songs from some big unsaved playlist, and I decide I want a particular song added to some other playlist ... is there any information about that recorded any other place than the playlistsongs junction table in the DB? You know, something like a "last playlisted" field?
No
Boobounder

Post by Boobounder »

I'm still looking for an answer to one small part of my first question regarding an old DB.

To me, it looks like the DB was truncated.

When I look at the Playlists table, I can't think of any other way for it to just end at a certain first letter for playlists.

So what are the sorting rules for non-alphabetical first letters in playlist titles. Do numbers (like 1981) go before A, or after Z?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Are you asking about sorting of Playlist names or files on Playlists? The latter would be the order you set in MediaMonkey for the files.
Boobounder

Post by Boobounder »

I am looking at the PlaylistName field of the Playlists table in an MM.DB file

If I sort that table by the PlaylistName field, it starts with some default playlists (Favorites, Last 50 Played, etc.) and it ends with the L's.

It looks truncated. Which is a weird thing ... but, whatever, it's what I have to work with.

Anyway, I had some playlists that began with year dates (1981, 1982, etc).

Those are not in this DB.

What I am wondering is if the playlists were sorted in some way in the MM GUI, and recorded that way in the DB, would it be possible for all those leading year playlists to have been truncated because they were at the bottom of the Playlists table?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It should be sorted by name.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I can't say if it will help any, but MediaMonkey 5 (in alpha available in its own forum) has better database repair capabilities. It may be able to recover things you don't see anymore (if it is just a corrupted DB, not actually gone). The database will then still work with MM4.