64Bit Version ?

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

ruebennase56

64Bit Version ?

Post by ruebennase56 »

Are you considering a 64Bit version of Mediamonkey?

Greetings
Andy
Lowlander

Re: 64Bit Version ?

Post by Lowlander »

As far as I've seen no. It's said to provide no performance benefit.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

MM already uses 64 bit dynamic link libraries for certain operations (conversions, volume leveling, etc.) on 64-bit systems
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
altwist

Post by altwist »

Hi,

When I tag mp3 track in MM ( and I have a big mp3 database taged MM ), I can't import it in Live 64 bits ! .... it make me crazy... I have to erase all tags... and clic and clic... I loose too much time ... HELP ME my friend ... provide a 64 bits version....

bye
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Can you elaborate "I can't import it in Live 64 bits"? Importing of tagged files should not be a problem
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
zarb0z

Post by zarb0z »

Same request.

I also have a large library (over 130,000 tracks), and there are issues when:
  • playing a FLAC file by double-clicking on it
    playing ANY file and scrolling down or right to find the next one to play
    playing any file while one is playing
    playing any video, then changing to Full Screen
    playing a song (or video) then double-clicking a video (or song)
In all the above cases, MM will freeze (Not Responding) and it takes a solid 2-3 minutes to come back. When it does, the FLAC songs play "skippy," and the MP3s or M4As will play 2 to 3 copies at the same time, or stop and restart. Task Manager says it uses about 240MB of RAM but only spikes the CPU to 12-15 % Overall load during the tests is less than 25%. While iTunes won't play FLAC, it doesn't have the skip issue and doesn't hang just because I want a different song. I'm trying to migrate AWAY from that ecosystem.

Windows 10 pro x64, Xeon E5v4 with 64GB RAM and MM is installed on the M.2 SSD boot drive. Can provide a screen-cap video if you like.

I actually have a LOT of issues with MMW, but if it can't play FLAC without hanging I will need to do something else, and I really don't want to. We can worry about the other issues once it can play every song in my library.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Start with running File > Maintain Library with complete optimization checked. I run with a larger library on much slower hardware without this behavior.
zarb0z

Post by zarb0z »

Lowlander wrote:Start with running File > Maintain Library with complete optimization checked.
Thanks for the tip, but this did nothing. First song will begin to play, scrolling looks terrible because the window redraws every 3rd or 4th second, second song won't play for 2-3 minutes while it's Not Responding. CPU shows 14% after the Optimization, which is a minor improvement.

Can't move the MM window while something is playing (unless I'm super-patient), the whole experience is just super-super-bad.

Now earlier this year, when I was evaluating MM, I used a smaller library of about 1500 songs and 10 videos and a couple audiobooks, podcasts, etc, and it worked. I had some issues in the beginning and got quality help in January or so. It's been flawless until this week, when I finally deleted the old library and had it load over 2TB of new directory structure (from iTunes). It is NOT monitoring any directories for changes and is NOT monitoring for changes on startup--those were the first things I checked.

Honestly, I don't mean to be rude, but this is an unacceptable user experience. The product looks PERFECT for me, and I can see why so many people love it, but when you really load it up with Media, it Monkeys around.

There's just got to be a fundamental answer to this. A 64-bit OS running on 64-bit architecture opens up so many avenues for a 64-bit application. The fact that MM is 32-bit is a red flare to me. My request is that you not outright dismiss a 64-bit version of this app, particularly since everything--even my phone--is 64-bit to address larger memory, longer file paths and larger files.

Please don't say things like "there wouldn't be much improvement." For Power Users, it may be the difference between usability and uselessness.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You're experience isn't typical, MediaMonkey is actually known to handle large Libraries pretty well, without slowing down too much (the more data the slower things get, obviously).

Are you running the skinned (default?) or unskinned version of MediaMonkey and do you have any additional Addons (especially panel ones) installed? Which version of MediaMonkey?

You may want to play with Output solutions, including updating audio drivers on your systems, changing with audio device is used and trying different output plug-ins (Tools > Options > Output Plug-ins): http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... -corrupted
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

I'm a power user with a large collection of media and I rarely have any trouble. If I do, it's usually related to other things or something I did or forgeot about.
Do you use a lot of Autoplaylists or Art views?

If there ever is a 64-bit version it would likely be with MM5 not 4.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
zarb0z

Post by zarb0z »

Lowlander wrote:MediaMonkey is actually known to handle large Libraries pretty well, without slowing down too much
<citation needed>
Lowlander wrote:Are you running the skinned (default?) or unskinned version of MediaMonkey and do you have any additional Addons (especially panel ones) installed?
Default everything, the only thing I've added is a CODEC pac for mp4.
Lowlander wrote:Which version of MediaMonkey?

Note: it's absolutely a FRESH install, fresh population. This exact directory structure works fine in iTunes, albeit without FLAC support. I've been testing it almost daily since January, then this week deleted the test library and imported the iTunes directory (which took 2 days).
Lowlander wrote:You may want to play with Output solutions, including updating audio drivers on your systems, changing with audio device is used and trying different output plug-ins (Tools > Options > Output Plug-ins): http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... -corrupted
I'll give that a shot, but as I said, iTunes works, so it's really unlikely to be hardware.

Speaking of which, this exact 7200RPM SATA3 hard drive was in a 2009 iMac Core2 Duo with only 16GB of RAM. Worked flawlessly there too.
zarb0z

Post by zarb0z »

MMFrLife wrote:I'm a power user with a large collection of media and I rarely have any trouble.
Is it within 20% (or is it even larger than) mine: Image
MMFrLife wrote:Do you use a lot of Autoplaylists or Art views?
No, neither of those. Again: this is a fresh install, all I did was make sure everything worked (hence adding a CODEC), and then I imported the iTunes directory.
MMFrLife wrote:If there ever is a 64-bit version it would likely be with MM5 not 4.
I'd like to sign up for that beta program, please.
zarb0z

Post by zarb0z »

IMHO, my problem is not perfectly related to the topic, so I will voluntarily close by simply saying there's strong evidence to suggest a 64-bit version of MM would be well received.

I apologize for threadjacking. I think the right thing to do is start a new thread.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

zarb0z wrote:Is it within 20% (or is it even larger than) mine
Well, I recently finished redoing my folder structure and implementing a new organizational tag structure/logic to my library.
I'm done now with restructuring, configuring everything and getting the editing process as close to automation as I can.
But I'm being very methodical about re-entering everything into the MM library (working on things a little here and there on days
when I can get to it).

So, currently it is around 40 th.
Before it was 120 - 130 th.
But ultimately it will be larger because I have a lot of media that I've never entered into the .DB before.
I'm also now, simultaneously, working on restructuring/reorganizing my image library and seriously thinking about redoing my video structure :roll:
Oh well, it'll all get there some day, and when it does, it'll all be correct and FINAL for how I need it. :wink:

But if you are looking for examples of how large a collection can be there is this
zarb0z wrote:I'd like to sign up for that beta program, please.
Just check out the MM5 forum and dowload the alphas (very earliest stages). And no guarantee of 64-bit
but it is done in modern HTML5/JS.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
64bithead

Post by 64bithead »

Support to this initiative. I use auto playlists to some extent and face stalls when hitting some "Send To" or "Find More From Same" items in right click menu for one. In general 64-bit programming is able to address more RAM which will allows fast caching in larger scale, so that option should not be overlooked in order to improve the overall program performance, we're not living in 1999 anymore, after all. :)

I'm fairly happy with speed of MM, but improvement in computing speed is never, ever a bad thing - even if it's mere few percents at the time, it counts in the long run, that's why computers and programs are constantly developed faster, the need for speed is endless until we reach the magical limit of "speed of thought", meaning the tasks are finished at the very moment that I'm able to conceive them. ;)