How to sync by ratings?

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

KingSmed

How to sync by ratings?

Post by KingSmed »

I'm a relatively new user to MMW, finally ditching iTunes. One of the things that sounded good to me about MM was the idea of having it randomly choose music tracks for me. I am in the process of setting ratings on all my tracks, so I can tell MM to only sync tracks rated at 3 stars or above to my iPod.

I'm still a long way from finishing all my ratings, but wanted to load some tunes now. So I went and selected all my unrated (0 stars) tracks and applied a rating of 3 stars, to be edited later. I then went into the Auto-Sync menu, checked MUSIC, and tried to choose RATING. The menu item does not appear to be greyed out, but I am unable to interact with it in any way. (In fact, none of the menu items in the box titled "Choose which files to keep synced" could be acted upon.) Since most of the tracks I have defaulted to 3 stars anyway, I just went ahead with the sync. But this is an important feature for me. I tried searching these forums, and found hundreds of people asking about ratings not moving from their device to their PC, but sorting by rating came up blank.

BTW, I have been able to get my podcasts to sync correctly, though I noticed that I was unable to interact with the "Choose which files" menus under that selection as well. Is there something I have to do to unlock those menus/options?

I'm using:
iPod Nano (7th Gen)
MM 4.1.15.1830
Win7
Lowlander

Re: How to sync by ratings?

Post by Lowlander »

Don't check Music (as that will sync all its contents), just check the Ratings you wish to sync. And all files in the Music Collection with that Rating will be synced.

Note, you can also use AutoPlaylists to create lists of selected files based on Criteria like Rating.
KingSmed

Post by KingSmed »

Ah, that... seemed weird, but it works. Just gotta wrap my inflexible mind around a new UI, I guess. As for playlists, I will probably start tinkering with those soon. Thanks for the help!
KingSmed

Post by KingSmed »

KingSmed wrote:Ah, that... seemed weird, but it works. Just gotta wrap my inflexible mind around a new UI, I guess. As for playlists, I will probably start tinkering with those soon. Thanks for the help!
Well, it APPEARED to work. The UI definitely let me choose the ratings I wanted to allow (3 stars and above). I then went into GENRE and made some selections there as well - to keep the Christmas music from creeping onto the iPod.

Except that neither selection is working when I sync the iPod. I am still getting songs I've rated below 3 stars, as well the occasional Christmas song. I've checked and re-checked the settings, everything LOOKS right, but sync doesn't seem to pay any attention at all to my choices.

As for the playlists, I did try to look at them, but it says I'm not allowed to use RATING as a criteria with the free version of MediaMonkey. At this time, I'm not yet convinced that I'm better off with MM over iTunes, so using playlists to do this job is not an option.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If you're selecting some Ratings and some Genre's you won't get the desired affect. It is not an AND operation. For that you'd need to setup an AutoPlaylist (Gold feature) where the files would match 3+ Rating AND Genre not Holiday.