Split albums by folder?

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

cokehearth

Split albums by folder?

Post by cokehearth »

Apologies if it's been asked before, but I couldn't find it.

I was wondering if there could be a feature to SPLIT albums by folder?

For example, in my music collection I have ABBA's "Waterloo" - the 7" single and the album. In MMW, I can split these albums by having the "Grouping" function to stipulate whether it's an "album" or "single", so that there's not two copies of the title track in the album. Hope you're keeping up so far!

But in Mediamonkey Android, because the albums have the same Album Artist and Album title, they get combined.

I have my sync settings so that the naming mask separates them by folder, e.g.:

Music\ABBA\album - Waterloo\01. Waterloo.mp3
Music\ABBA\single - Waterloo\01. Waterloo.mp3

So if MMA could have the option to recognise they're two separate albums because they're in different folders, I'd be find that really useful.

Is it possible or easy to do?

I hope you get the grasp of what I'm saying! Many thanks!
Primarily using: MM4 (latest update) Gold on Windows 11 (32GB RAM);
Samsung A54G 128GB/1TB MicroSD.

Library: 1875GB (254680+) files, on a Network Drive (Windows)
Lowlander

Re: Split albums by folder?

Post by Lowlander »

You'd either need to use Folder browsing or include the type of Album detail in the Album field (thus making them actual unique Albums in the eyes of both MMA and MMW.
cokehearth

Post by cokehearth »

I have been using the folder function, the only down-side to that is it not displaying ratings with the tracks as it does under 'Album view' etc.

I'm a bit fanatical about my digital library, with proper titles and such, and so really wouldn't want to have to go through 800GB+ of music to re-label the singles, etc. The 'folder view' is also inconsistent with the genre tags.

As I said, it's just a suggestion. GoneMAD Music Player has a similar function, but it lacks all the functionality of MediaMonkey that I really enjoy. The MMV/MMA combo does everything I need and want it to, apart from this one little thing which bugs me - although I appreciate it may not be a problem for many others!

Thanks.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Not for me, as I have this in the Album field. Otherwise MMW also doesn't recognize them as different Albums. I wouldn't protest another tag being used to identify type of Album Release, but it's the same difference to me.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Note that MMA 2.0 is going to have support for more (most?) MMW fields, along with much improved Sorting/View/Field management, so I expect that it should resolve this particular issue.

-Rusty
cokehearth

Post by cokehearth »

Hi Rusty,

Thanks for the information - sounds great! Looking forward to it! (Especially with my shiny new phone I got today!).

Keep up the great work, really appreciate it.