Win Groove desktop doesn't get MM artist but Winphone does

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

MediaMonkeyuser33

Win Groove desktop doesn't get MM artist but Winphone does

Post by MediaMonkeyuser33 »

Hi,

First, many thanks in advance for helping!

I'm wondering why on my desktop the Windows Groove player can't read the song artist and album artist tags that I have entered with MM (Groove player only says 'unknown') ....BUT the Grooveplayer on my win10 mobile phone shows all the information correctly?!
Also: the windows explorer shows the song artist and album artist tags correctly as well.

What I really don't understand is how can widespread Win OS 10 and its Grooveplayer which have been around for quite a while not be able to read these 'basic tags' set with popular MM4?

(Win 10 desktop is latest build (creator fall 1709 - but issue was there before too), MM4 is latest build, Win10 phone is latest build too.
Groove player is 10.17083.1832.0.)

regards
Lowlander

Re: Win Groove desktop doesn't get MM artist but Winphone do

Post by Lowlander »

What file type(s) and which version of MediaMonkey?
MediaMonkeyuser33

Hi,
thanks for your reply!

MM is 4.1.18.1853 (but I experienced the same with previous version)

File type that got tagged with MM4 are: .wav / 44.1 khz / stereo

(on my winphone those tagged wav files will be turned into MP3 or WMA by MM4 (send to-> synchronize- winphone )

regards
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

That explains it. WAV has very poor tagging support as it lacks a tagging standard (like ID3 for MP3 files). This is why many choose a format like FLAC as it's far more compatible between different software as it has a tagging standard.

Related: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... erties/4.0
MediaMonkeyuser33

Many thanks for that explanation. I understand what you are saying.

I don't want to take up your time bur maybe you can help me understand two things once and for all... before I except this fact of life and move on to flac or similar :) :

1)Could you briefly explain why the win explorer can read the same tags on the wav file (artist and album artists tags) done by MM4 correctly... while Groove player can't read those tags of the same *wav files correctly? Grooveplayer's issue/ poor MS work?

2) Thanks for the 'track property link'!
It says:
Track Title: Yes (INAM, TIT2[ID3])
Track Artist(s) / Director(s): Yes (IART, TPE1[ID3])
Album: Yes (IPRD, IALB[CART], TALB[ID3)
Album Artist(s): Yes (IAAR)

If I understand correctly then MM4 tags ini ID3 (v1/v2) standard.

I can understand that the Album Artist which says IAAR tags wanted on wav files is a problem in Grooveplayer for Wav files tagged with ID3... but Track Title tag TIT2(ID3) and Album tag TALB(ID3) do work between MM4 wav-file tagging and Grooveplayer reading them.

Then why is there a problem with the Track Artist (IART, TPE1[ID3]) tag on a wav file which the Grooveplayer can't interpret/read? Does TPE(id3) not imply that it is supporting id3 tags?

Many thanks again and regards
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

For starters ID3 is not a standard for WAV, but it's used by some. If Windows Explorer see the tags that MediaMonkey writes, but Groove doesn't (for some) it indicates that Groove doesn't read that particular tag (or sometimes other tags are present with higher priority in the used software). This is the issue with WAV as ID3 isn't the standard for it, thus it's up to each software/hardware to decide what tags they'll read.

A quick search seems to indicate others have issues with WAV and Groove as well when using other software for editing purposes.
MediaMonkeyuser33

Hi,

many thanks for the clarification and the helpful conversation!

My summary: just be happy if some tags of a tagged wav-file can be read by an audioplayer... otherwise to be on the safe and complete side tagwise use another format such as MP3 or flac.
I think I will (have) live with that! :)

Thanks again and regards
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

FLAC, it's lossless like WAV, but has good tagging support and is support by most modern hardware/software. And an additional benefit is that the files are smaller due to lossless compression (like a ZIP file). Don't choose MP3 over WAV as it's lossy, thus loosing information from the audio (however in double blind testing people can't tell).
MediaMonkeyuser33

just another big thanks for all your replies!
I fully understand your info!

regards