Grouped MMW playlists not grouping on MMA

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

doney6012

Grouped MMW playlists not grouping on MMA

Post by doney6012 »

I've been USB syncing some of my library to my old HTC One XL with 32GB of internal storage and so far my playlists have all been syncing correctly. I got a 64gb micro SD for my Sony Xperia Z3 Compact to sync my entire library across but the grouped playlists (that is, the ones on MMW that are grouped under headings) are all appearing separately on MMA. What could be the possible cause and solution?
Also, I seem to have to sync my collection selectively, (choosing some playlists, then syncing, then choosing more playlists then syncing again) as last night I tried to sync everything that I wanted and only certain files and playlists would appear, even after numerous checks for new media through MMA. Could this issue be with the different device I am using or the fact I am now syncing to an SD card? The HTC runs Android 4.2.2, while the Sony runs Android 6.0.1. Both phones are running the current version available in Google Play, plus I am a Beta tester through Play. Would syncing the SD card through a card reader be more effective than through the phone?

Thanks
doney6012

Re: Grouped MMW playlists not grouping on MMA

Post by doney6012 »

So I've been playing around with it a bit more and I haven't seemed to get much love with the SD Card through MMA, but what I found is that, while all the synced songs and playlists from MMW successfully transferred across, MMA isn't recognising a lot of the files, eg. a playlist with 2048 songs on MMW is only showing as 1200 odd songs on MMA. As a punt, I tried using the default music app on my phone (Sony's Music app) which successfully detected all songs. What would the possible issue with MMA be? I'm not complaining, as I really love how MMA works, but as I can't get access to all my synced songs and playlists on my phone then I'll use a different app for the meantime. I hope you are able to resolve it as while the Sony app (and other apps) may give me access to all files, they aren't as intuitive as MMA. Thanks, Deano.
Peke

Post by Peke »

SD card is unstable ATM and due teh changes on how Android detect and assign storages can lead to issues.

May I suggest if your WiFi is slow you use USB sync an dafter that start another WiFi Sync to see if MMA would find all files?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
doney6012

Post by doney6012 »

I've been doing USB transfers so far. Would there be a particular version of Android (or even a custom ROM) where detecting all files isn't an issue? So far my old HTC One XL (on 4.2.2) has had the best result, but it doesn't take SD cards, so I may have more luck with a second hand pre-lollipop device that supports SD cards. As I'll only be using it for music playing having a newer OS won't be an issue.
Thanks, Deano
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

So MMA doesn't show correct files, but other Apps do for the same Playlists? Which version of MMA and MMW?
doney6012

Post by doney6012 »

I'm using MMA 1.3.1.0739 on Android 6.1 USB syncing to a 64GB SD card, and MMW 4.1.19.1859 on Windows 10.

I have still been playing around with it, as I'm determined to not give up. And what I have discovered is some other media players (for instance, Sony's Music app, and DoubleTwist) seem to detect some of the files that don't appear on MMA, but conversely, there are some files which they don't pick up, which MMA in fact does.

But another thing I've noticed is that it might be the parameters with which I use to synchronise certain files that are causing issues. I have a few playlists that are populated by various songs from different artists, and they are auto playlists made up by putting letter combinations into the composer field of the ID tag. These playlists appear fine on MMA.

However, I also use the genre field to determine full albums to sync, as I like the way the Genre tab on MMA gives me the screen progression of Artists>Albums>Songs, as opposed to just being presented with a playlist full of songs. Using this method of telling MMW to synchronise via genre however is where I seem to be getting issues. I only use a few genre tags to sort these full albums (such as AA Heavy, AA Pop and AA Rock) to make it easy to navigate through them. When I create an auto playlist using these fields the playlist will sync correctly, but if I go back into the Genre tab of MMA some of the albums will still be missing. So I could just synchronise the playlist itself, but I was wondering if there was a way for MMA to present a playlist in the same way that the Genre tab does: with the Artists>Albums>Songs screen progression to make it easier to navigate (as some of these playlists have over 2000 songs, so finding a particular album to play can be a bit tedious). If not, could there be an option implemented to allow playlists to be categorised in such a way? I hope I haven't made it sound too complicated.
When I sync to my iPod they all appear correctly, so I realise that MMW is not the issue.

Thank you again for all your help.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
You should update to latest MMA version and after initial USB sync it is suggested to do a WiFi Sync updates. Much safer and stable than MTP USB sync that is known to Make system conflicts, driver issues,...
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts