MMA can't find computer on network

Get answers about sharing MediaMonkey for Windows 4 with different devices.

Moderator: Gurus

bdb484

MMA can't find computer on network

Post by bdb484 »

Hi, gang. This may be outside the scope of MMW support, but I thought I'd see if anyone can help.

I'm running the latest version of MMW on a Windows 7 machine. I've normally had no problems with UPnP or syncing, but for the last month or so, I haven't been able to connect either. I googled around and tried the steps offered here: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... lna-server

Everything is in order until I get to step 6D. I've installed Fing, and for some reason, it is not able to see my laptop on the network, although the computer is definitely connected to the same network. This is obvious because I'm able to connect to the Internet, but I've also confirmed through the router's control panel that the laptop and my phone are on the same network.

I spent most of this morning googling around to figure out the root problem, but with no success. Among others, I've tried:
* I've disabled/uninstalled/reinstalled/replaced my antivirus.
* I've release/refreshed my IP address.
* I've set a special rule for the port in the firewall, and I've even tried shutting down the firewall altogether.
* I've uninstalled all the programs that I had installed around the time the problem cropped up.

At this point, I'm out of ideas and probably up against the limits of my technical knowledge.

Any other ideas?

EDIT: I've also tried removing the existing MM-specific firewall rules and reinstalling, as suggested here: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 20&t=88256

I've also tried resetting all the firewall rules to default, to no avail.
Lowlander

Re: MMA can't find computer on network

Post by Lowlander »

Have you tried restarting the Router? I have an Asus R7000 and for some reason it stops supporting DLNA after running 24 hours or so. A reboot gets everything back up and running again.
bdb484

Post by bdb484 »

I have. This has been going on for about a month now, so both the computer and router have been rebooted repeatedly -- most recently yesterday.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Does any other DLNA capable device on the network see the MediaMonkey Library (verifying it isn't the phone) and can you test any other DLNA server on your PC (verifying it isn't the PC)?

You could try a File Browser on the phone that can see network shares (and have a network share on the PC) to see if the phone can see this (then maybe the Router or Firewall/Security software is blocking the MediaMonkey Server/DLNA). If you have access to another Router you could try that).

You said that phone and PC are on same network. Make sure this is the case as sometimes wifi is a separate network (especially for guest networks).
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Zou should also trz to scan for same network devices using http://www.advanced-ip-scanner.com/
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
bdb484

Post by bdb484 »

Double-checked the network, and it's the same for both of them.

I've tried another phone and another computer, and nothing can even see my other PC on the network, let alone the media server.

Tried Advanced IP Scanner as well from another laptop. It doesn't see my computer, either.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
If Advanced IP do not see your PCs it is very possible that you have Public Network setup and/or Router forcing/filtering devices on LAN/WLAN it is very ghard to tell what caused it but unfortunately it is a call for Ghostbusters (a Tech guy) and debug your lan settings.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
captain paranoia

Post by captain paranoia »

How are your devices accessing your router? Wired access? WiFi access?

If WiFi, are you sure they're not connecting to a Guest wifi netywork? This would allow internet access, but would block any access to your LAN; that's the point of a Guest network.

Check what IP addresses have been assigned to the various devices connecting to your router. They should all be on the same subnet, e.g. 192.168.x.***; all should have the same 'x'.
bdb484

Post by bdb484 »

Looks like they're all on the same network. My router's device list shows everything on 192.168.1.x.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

There are 3 common Router caused problems:
1) DLNA (UPnP) isn't allowed by Settings (check Router settings)
2) Wifi network isn't allowed to see other devices on network, not uncommon for Guest networks and it would still use the same IP settings are regular clients (check Router settings)
3) 5G networks causing problems seeing rest of network (try using 2.4G)

In my case Netgear R7000 DLNA discovery works for less than a hour after Router reboot.

On the PC side:
1) Firewall/Security software blocking DLNA (MediaMonkey) from accessing the network
2) Windows 10 Anniversary update (reset Windows Firewall rules for MediaMonkey)

Things to test
1) Using another DLNA client, preferably other hardware than phone (would rule out MMA being the problem)
2) Try using DLNA client that is hardwired and have MMW hardwired to network (would rule out MMW/Windows being the problem)
3) Try using a different Router (would rule out Router being the problem)

This unfortunately is complicated to resolve as there are many variables involved, like Phone hardware, Phone OS, MMA, Router, Network hardware, PC hardware, Windows, MMW and Security Software.
bdb484

Post by bdb484 »

Progress report:

Using another cellphone as a hotspot, I was able to get MMW and MMA communicating. I'm able to play music over UPnP, but I'm getting a connection error when I try to sync: "synchronization refused by remote server."

And then I tried turning on my home wifi's guest network just for fun, and the whole thing worked just fine. UPnP is playing, and everything syncs up.

I'm not too concerned with the failure to sync on the hotspot, but I'm wondering if any of this tells anyone anything that might help me get things working again on the regular network.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Sounds like your phone was on the Guest wifi network which often is separated from the home network (for security). Forget the Guest wifi on your phone so it always connects to your regular wifi.
bdb484

Post by bdb484 »

I don't think so. I normally leave the guest network disabled; I actually had to turn it on to try this.