Problem Ripping CDs

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

BobH1

Problem Ripping CDs

Post by BobH1 »

I've been happily ripping my CD collection to Flac files over the past couple of weeks. Now suddenly I am getting a message box saying: "There was a problem converting the following files" with a list of the tracks on the CD and the place on the hard disks I am asking MM to rip to, viz: "file E:\my music\new music\<artist>\<album>\<track>.flac" (where artist album and track are named) this has happened on four consecutive CDs. I've tried also ripping to MP3 in case there was a problem with the Flac converter, with the same result. I've had problems in the passed with the auto generated file paths being too long, but that's not the problem this time.

Can anybody give me any clues as to what has happened and what I should do to correct it? I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling MM, which as I expected had no effect

I currently have 26,500 (exactly) files in my library, which is a suspiciously rounded figure, I don't know if it’s relevant.
Lowlander

Re: Problem Ripping CDs

Post by Lowlander »

Which version of MediaMonkey?
BobH1

Post by BobH1 »

nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Maybe there's an issue with the E drive, did you try a different location?
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

There may be a rights issue. Make sure that MediaMonkey has full rights on the Temp folder (Tools > Options > General) and the destination location.
BobH1

Post by BobH1 »

The temp folder is on Drive C (C:\Users\Bob\AppData\Local\Temp\).

I tried ripping to a folder on drive C - and was successful. So as you suggest it could be a rights issue. But its interesting that it suddenly changed.

Can you advise me how to check / give MM rights to my drive "E"? I don't want to use drive C for data; it's a fast small drive reserved for programs. Drive E is my (internal) 1TB data drive.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Rights can be set in Windows Explorer. Right click on the destination folder > Properties. For more details Google this for your Windows version.
Zonky

Post by Zonky »

Same here with MM 4.0.3.1476 running Windows 7 Ultimate x64, logged in as administrator, but not running MM with admin credentials, though.

I've already assigned a different temp folder on a different partition which holds different temporary files by default, however, still MM occasionally throws errors while ripping audio cd's.
Sometimes MM complaints it cannot delete the .wav file from the temporary folder, sometimes it just says that ripping failed and lists the tracks it could not convert to MP3.
Strange thing is that immediately re-running conversion may succeed in the end for single tracks, however.

Don't know what happens here.

Michael
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It could be AV software holding on to WAV files not allowing MM to delete them.

Post by Guest »

I am having this same problem only in the last few weeks. MM version number 4.0.6.1501 Windows Vista 6.002. I can rip as I have always done and now the last track has errors.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I recommend you upgrade to 4.0.7. An enhanced CD issue has been fixed (not entirely sure if it was in 4.0.7 or 4.1 beta).
greenbergman

Post by greenbergman »

I was having this same error and finally found that the external drive I'm ripping to wasn't loading upon boot for some reason. I really wish the MM error message had directed me in that direction instead of telling me it was a problem with accessing the temp file in my C drive. It would have saved me a lot time spent flailing around.
Beckanator

Post by Beckanator »

I found this same issue after moving my library from a NAS (Network Attached Storage). My library became too big (almost 1TB - Now it's 1024.7!) so I moved it all to an external drive (ED). I plan to run this way until I upgrade my NAS storage space. ANYWAY, once my library was in place on the ED I tried ripping a CD. I kept getting a permission error and like a young MediaMonkey I was just scratching my head. Well, after several other attempts to resolve the issue I found it to be that I had overlooked the destination. It was still reading to my previous NAS. Changed the location and folder and 'poof' it's ripping CD's again. Kind of a silly oversight, but I thought I'd share it as it might help other newbie "monkeys!" :D Now, I need to resolve why MM won't let me remove duplicates. I'm getting "file in use or "You do not have permission" to delete file (from library and computer). So, I'm off to search for an answer! :-?
Michael C. Panis

Post by Michael C. Panis »

I also had this issue, and I'll describe the embarrassing reason for it in case others experience it.
I had copied all my mediamonkey settings to a new computer. Everything was working fine, except for ripping files. After spending an afternoon updating drivers, testing my DVD reader, and looking for all sorts of complex reasons for the problem, I realized my username was slightly different on the new computer so poor mediamonkey could not find the destination folder. :oops: