Media Keys

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

Ramses

Media Keys

Post by Ramses »

hi,

i am running mediamonkey on windows 10 64-bit, and my media keys sometimes didnt work. after some research i think the media keys dont work, when a 64-bit programm is active (window in the foreground). 32-bit programms seem to pass the media keys to media monkey, and 64-bit programms dont. can u confirm this behaviour and do u know a workaround (btw its the same with zoomplayer)?

thank you in advance

ramses
Ludek

Re: Media Keys

Post by Ludek »

Could you please refer the exact name of the foreground 64-bit application and which media keys you tested?
I guess you tested the media keys that are set to [x] Global by default, i.e. media stop, media play, media next, media previous?

Otherwise workaround should be to enable low level keyboard hook:
i.e. Add value PreferLLKeysHook = 1 to the [options] section of MediaMonkey.ini file. This cause MediaMonkey to use a low level keyboard driver that has the effect of allowing hotkeys to work globally, to edit the file see: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... e/View/16c

Also some other tips re media keys issues are here: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... -dont-work
Ramses

Post by Ramses »

thank you for the hints, i already tried the preferllkeyhook, but it didnt help.

i use the most recent version of mm and a logitech g910 keyboard with most recent driver with windows 10 (1703). media keys would be start/stopp, next, etc. (the keyboard has 4 separate media keys).
media keys work when mm is active window, and media keys are set to global in options.
other programs that work when their window is in foreground include: foxit reader (32 bit), notepad++ (32 bit), utorrent (32 bit)
firefox used to work, but stopped working with the newest version, which is now 64-bit by default. also not working are office 2016 (64-bit), explorer (guess 64 bit), winrar (64 bit), desktop.

best regards, ramses
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I also use Win 10 x64 and absolutely have no issues using Media Keys if MMW is in background of x64 application.

I'm currently in FireFox 56 due the legacy support, same goes with explorer and edge and other x64 apps.

Only difference from you is that I have G15 keyboard and Gaming software 8.96.81 and instead of Logitech Media Control I Use G15 MediaMonkey v1.4, but controls work in both apps.

I also tested WinRar x64 trial and as I do not use Office 2016 I checked Libre Office x64 with no issues.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Ramses

Post by Ramses »

thank you for your help, it seems like something is messed up with my system.
i also did some google research, but i didnt find a solution.
for now i will just use it as is and hope that some future driver or windows update will fix it.

best regards, ramses
jcallaway

Post by jcallaway »

Just FYI, I was struggling with the same or a similar issue. Whenever any MS Office app had focus, global hotkeys didn't make it to MediaMonkey. PreferLLKeysHook was the solution, but seemed to fail at first because of syntax:
It seems that it has to be exactly PreferLLKeysHook=1, with no whitespace around the "=" & no whitespace after the digit, and make sure it's "Keys"
"PreferLLKeyHook=1" doesn't work
"PreferLLKeysHook = 1" doesn't work
"PreferLLKeysHook=1 " doesn't work

So close MM first, then open the INI, then add exactly "PreferLLKeysHook=1" to the options section, then save and reopen MM. Works just fine now.
Peke

Post by Peke »

It always worked like that INI file changes while MMW is Open is overwritten on MMW close.
Best regards,
Peke
WolfBack

Post by WolfBack »

I just bought a Corsair K68 keyboard and the media keys was totally unused with the MM.
The PreferLLKeysHook=1 trick on .ini file just do the trick!
You save my time!
Thanks a lot!
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
:( that means Corsair Driver is poorly written as it intercept all OS commands -> Handle them internally and decide if and to whom to relay command :(
Best regards,
Peke