Can you stream from MMA to Sonos [#14301]

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

stevec

Can you stream from MMA to Sonos [#14301]

Post by stevec »

I love MMA on my Android phone / Windows and use it to organize all of my music. But is there a way to get it to cast to my Sonos system? If I select the "Cast To" icon it doesn't see the Sonos. But MediaMonkey Win does allow me to cast to the Sonos on the same network.

Also Bubble UPnP on the same Android device does see Sonos. And MMA sees BubbleUPnP as a valid "Cast To" device.

So what gives? What would it take to get MMA to be able to cast music to the Sonos?

thanks,
steve
Peke

Re: Can you stream from MMA to Sonos?

Post by Peke »

Hi,
When you try to CAST with MMA and fail to see Sonos can you please send us Debug log and write down LOG ID Here?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
stevec

Post by stevec »

Thanks. I realize that I forgot to put the version of MMA in my post. It's: 1.3.1.0710, MediaMonkey Pro. (Also running Beta.)

I uploaded two different sets of logs, one from my home network and the other here at work. Both have the same symptom: I can't see the Sonos Play1 as a "Cast To" device but MM Windows on the same network can cast to it.

Log IDs:

DKU76R6IFS
LKQ9AALTTS

Let me know if I can do anything else.

thanks!
steve
Peke

Post by Peke »

Best regards,
Peke
ogordodesagres

Re: Can you stream from MMA to Sonos [#14301]

Post by ogordodesagres »

Hello,

have you tried right cliking on the player -> chose player -> (in my case) Sonos Connect?

it works for me,
i have 4.1.15.1830 version
Pedro
stevec

Post by stevec »

Just getting back to this. I've updated to the latest version of MMA (1.3.1.0743) but it still doesn't work. I notice that the Mantis bug says "unable to reproduce." Does this mean that it works for others? For me, when I try to choose "Cast to" it just comes up with "No cast device." A Windows machine running MediaMonkey on the same wireless network sees both Sonos1 devices and can cast to (i.e. "Choose Player") either one.

I'm just curious if I should expect this to work from Android or not? It would be nice; the MediaMonkey interface to my music is light years ahead of what Sonos has to offer through their app (i.e. "On this mobile device...")

thanks,
steve
Peke

Post by Peke »

Some routers do not allow WLAN <-> WLAN client connections but allow LAN <-> WLAN and LAN <-> LAN connections you need to check settings and permissions.
Best regards,
Peke
stevec

Post by stevec »

Peke wrote:Some routers do not allow WLAN <-> WLAN client connections but allow LAN <-> WLAN and LAN <-> LAN connections you need to check settings and permissions.
Thanks for the reply. I don't think that it's a Ethernet vs. wireless thing if that's what you're saying. Both the Window client and the Android phone are connected wirelessly. It is a dual-band router so I guess there could be 2.4 vs. 5G concerns, but I don't know that that's the problem either.

I'm assuming that there's some sort of discovery protocol involved? SSDP or mDNS maybe? I am trying to get a setup where I can grab packet captures to see if I can tell a difference between the working and failing case. If you have any suggestions or hints I will take them into account!

thanks,
steve
OneEyedPhoenix

Post by OneEyedPhoenix »

I have the same issue. Casting from Mediamonkey in Windows wirelessly works just fine, but the Android app does not detect the Sonos speaker. Would love to see this fixed.
OneEyedPhoenix

Unable to stream from Android phone to Sonos

Post by OneEyedPhoenix »

As has been reported before https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 26&t=88016 it seems impossible to cast from the Android app on my phone (1.3.1.0745). Casting from windows (lapptop) on the same wireless nettwork works just fine. The app can also cast to my Denon reciever without issues. I see this was considered a bug earlier http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=14301 but apparently not resolved. Have uploaded log (KQTQ4ICLKY).
Peke

Post by Peke »

I still can't replicate, Just try it few seconds ago. There must be something that blocks your WLAN communication. Have you tried to assign Static IP addresses to both devices?
Best regards,
Peke
OneEyedPhoenix

Post by OneEyedPhoenix »

So you could stream to Sonos speakers through a Nexus player? Could you stream to the speakers directly? I kind of doubt that the wifi settings is the issue as I can cast to my Denon Avr-X4200 using MMA, and I can cast to the Sonos speakers while using the Sonos app.
Peke

Post by Peke »

If they are DLNA renderer Compliant then you can. Have you tried any other app than Sonos one?
Best regards,
Peke
OneEyedPhoenix

Post by OneEyedPhoenix »

Google play can see the speakers but playback is buggy. Sonos might not be DLNA renderer compliant. Is the play to functionality in windows MM using a different technology?
Peke

Post by Peke »

No, both MMW and MMA uses same technology.
Best regards,
Peke